The Mist

Talk about what you're watchin'.

Postby The_Fourth_Craw on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:55 am

LauraK wrote:Craw- You can order a copy from Amazon can't you? Or some other online source that ships to the UK?

LK


Could order from Amazon, but my DVD player is not yet multiregional. Still to do some research on how to hack the factory settings to make it so. At the moment I will just have to be very very patient....
The Fourth Craw

Image
The_Fourth_Craw
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Scotland

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:18 am

SPOILERS******




meridith wrote:yes it was quite a downer...

yes I don't think he would have wanted anyone to suffer...

the other thing is that I think he didn't want his son to know he was shooting him....I figured his son went first, then the rest-if he had their heads together it would have made it too obvious to his son

LauraK wrote:Dana, that's funny because Tom and I discussed that very same thing! I said what if the bullet had slowed so much after getting through his son, though, that it didn't kill her outright? Then she'd be suffering and he wouldn't want that.

It really sucked, though. Big ol downer for us. I definitely would have preferred them driving away with the hope of having heard "Hartford" on the radio and not knowing what happened next.

LK



If you remember though, the son wakes up before he shoots them and his eyes grow huge with fright right before we see the flash in the car. I think the son knew there at the end.
Dana_Jean
 
Posts: 2540
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:03 pm

Postby sybil on Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:22 pm

yeah, he knew...but would he have stood still for it? that would get ugly.

really good thinking on the time thing, DJ!!
janis the joeker
sybil
 
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:20 pm

LauraK wrote:Dana, that's funny because Tom and I discussed that very same thing! I said what if the bullet had slowed so much after getting through his son, though, that it didn't kill her outright? Then she'd be suffering and he wouldn't want that.

It really sucked, though. Big ol downer for us. I definitely would have preferred them driving away with the hope of having heard "Hartford" on the radio and not knowing what happened next.

LK


Yeah, if the bullet didn't make it all the way through the kid's head into the girl's head, he still had that fourth bullet to put her down.

So, no harm no foul either way. It was a bullet he was going to have use on her anyway, so why not try the two for one special first? and, she wouldn't have suffered. He would have taken her down quick. And the kid was asleep. You know how dead to the world kids are. their bodies just slump and I think he could have positioned the kid's head on her head before he woke up.
Dana_Jean
 
Posts: 2540
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:03 pm

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:40 pm

Perhaps it was the irony of the situation? I mean, I know if I had made that decision, that's EXACTLY what would happen to me. In other words, that's the kind of luck I have.
"We'll always have Paris."

Image
Betsy_Boo
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: North Carolina

Postby Jude on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Not only that, but the song at the end was Host of Seraphim by Dead Can Dance, my all time favourite band and song. Hope its at least released on DVD over here so that I can actually get to see a legit copy of the movie.

If anyone from the distributors reads this, why the hell has this great movie not been released in the UK?
_________________
The Fourth Craw

I am bow down at the altar of Dead can Dance but I didnt like the use of Host of Seraphim. Maybe because of the haunting use of it in Baraka, But it just didnt sit right in that scene for me..
I am stretched on your grave and will lie there forever,
If your hands were in mine, I'd be sure they'd not sever,
My appletree, my brightness 'tis time we were together,
For I smell of the earth and am worn by the weather. "
Jude
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: Dublin Ireland

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:29 am

i read this over at SK(new section devoted to the dark tower). its talking about references to the Dark Tower.
"The Arrowhead Project either created a thinny or ripped a hole into a todash space from which the creatures entered. Sylvia Pittston could very well be a twinner of Mrs. Carmody. "
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby meridith on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:24 am

laughing can be an emotional release. Sometimes people laugh when somethings funny, or uncomfortable even. I've laughed at "inappropriate times" before due to being uncomfortable.

of course then there's sick humor that everyone's probably guilty of.....the Mist wasn't one of them for me though!

poisonlily wrote:Okay, I have no idea why, but I laughed a bit when the mist started to clear. Just a little...and I didn't even realize I had. The next night I was talking to Kevin about the movie and he reminded me. He was all like "The guy just shot his kid...you're a parent..." I said that wasn't why I laughed. I laughed because two seconds later...okay a bit more....the mist cleared and everyone else was okay and being cleared out. I honestly don't know why I laughed at that though. Most of the time I just don't get emotionally attached to the characters in movies. There are the occasional ones that I have, but not with every movie, and never with a King movie. It wasn't a conscious reaction. It's not like a was LMFAO or ROFL.

:oops: :oops:
meridith
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:28 am
Location: Maine

Postby meridith on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:25 am

I'm such a dork I wrote "sometimes people laugh when something's funny." I meant to say when something isn't funny! of course people laugh when something is funny. where is the edit button when you need it!

meridith wrote:laughing can be an emotional release. Sometimes people laugh when somethings funny, or uncomfortable even. I've laughed at "inappropriate times" before due to being uncomfortable.

of course then there's sick humor that everyone's probably guilty of.....the Mist wasn't one of them for me though!

poisonlily wrote:Okay, I have no idea why, but I laughed a bit when the mist started to clear. Just a little...and I didn't even realize I had. The next night I was talking to Kevin about the movie and he reminded me. He was all like "The guy just shot his kid...you're a parent..." I said that wasn't why I laughed. I laughed because two seconds later...okay a bit more....the mist cleared and everyone else was okay and being cleared out. I honestly don't know why I laughed at that though. Most of the time I just don't get emotionally attached to the characters in movies. There are the occasional ones that I have, but not with every movie, and never with a King movie. It wasn't a conscious reaction. It's not like a was LMFAO or ROFL.

:oops: :oops:
meridith
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:28 am
Location: Maine

Postby Ryan on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Actually I kinda laughed at the end to. I don't know why. I honestly think it was because of how fast it cleared, it seemed almost comical to me, after what this guy went through and all and then suddenly BAM everything is all better. It almost seemed like fast foward. I don't know. I know someone before said the mist could distort things such as time and all that so you don't know how much time passed. But I thought it may have been better to fade to black after the tank rolls up...then maybe cut to the clearing of it...just so there seems to be a clear separation. In my opinion anyway.
Ryan
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:01 am

I kept waiting for David to grab one of the soldiers' guns and blow his own brains out...probably what I would've done.
"We'll always have Paris."

Image
Betsy_Boo
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: North Carolina

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:11 pm

meridith wrote:I'm such a dork I wrote "sometimes people laugh when something's funny." I meant to say when something isn't funny! of course people laugh when something is funny. where is the edit button when you need it!

meridith wrote:laughing can be an emotional release. Sometimes people laugh when somethings funny, or uncomfortable even. I've laughed at "inappropriate times" before due to being uncomfortable.

of course then there's sick humor that everyone's probably guilty of.....the Mist wasn't one of them for me though!

poisonlily wrote:Okay, I have no idea why, but I laughed a bit when the mist started to clear. Just a little...and I didn't even realize I had. The next night I was talking to Kevin about the movie and he reminded me. He was all like "The guy just shot his kid...you're a parent..." I said that wasn't why I laughed. I laughed because two seconds later...okay a bit more....the mist cleared and everyone else was okay and being cleared out. I honestly don't know why I laughed at that though. Most of the time I just don't get emotionally attached to the characters in movies. There are the occasional ones that I have, but not with every movie, and never with a King movie. It wasn't a conscious reaction. It's not like a was LMFAO or ROFL.

:oops: :oops:


That's called gallows laughter and I do it all the time. I've actually had to control myself at funerals.
Dana_Jean
 
Posts: 2540
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:03 pm

Postby The_Fourth_Craw on Thu May 29, 2008 7:00 am

At last, we have a UK cinema release date for The Mist: 4 July 2008.

A couple of points:

1. Why has this film been released worldwide, yet it has taken over 7 months since the initial release for it to reach the UK?

2. Since the film is now out on region 1 DVD, why do the distributors think that anyone will be bothering to go to the cinema, when most people who wanted to see the film will undoubtedly already have done so?

Whoever is responsible for the delay in releasing this great film over here has ensured that it will bomb at the box office. It really beggars belief how badly this has been mismanaged. Heads should definately roll....

Do I sound bitter.... :evil:
The Fourth Craw

Image
The_Fourth_Craw
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Scotland

Postby BentheWriter on Thu May 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Not a great film. It felt like a nineties made for TV movie. I don't get how they could take a great short story, turn it into a feature film and STILL manage to rush it/skip that whole "developing characters" thing.

The only thing I liked about it was the ending, because it took balls, and was nice and dark, but even that wasn't executed too well.

Darabont really screwed up on this one. Severely. Just about every aspect of it was lazy and amateurish. What's really frustrating is that the man has done at least two brilliant films in the past. What happened? Did he have a stroke?

I suppose everyone has their real pieces of shit every now and then, but man oh man...I don't get it.
Which Ben? Ben the Writer.
http://www.benthewriter.com
BentheWriter
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby sybil on Thu May 29, 2008 3:57 pm

ah ben...i love ya. seems like we are destined to disagree here! LOL!

i guess i didn't think the movie was the best i've ever seen, but i really did like it, and LOVED/HATED the ending.
janis the joeker
sybil
 
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:05 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest