CHINESE DEMOCRACY

What are you listening to now, and why isn't it Marah?

Re: CHINESE DEMOCRACY

Postby grasking on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:27 pm

Does Tommy Stinson playing bass on the new album?
grasking

Postby grasking on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:43 pm

I mean play. Does he play bass on this album?
grasking

Postby doodoobird on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:03 am

Sure does. In fact, he is probably the only 'new' member who has steadily been in the band without leaving because of long stretches of inactivity. I hope Robin Fink (Nine Inch Nails) come back. Oh yeah, is Tommys other band any good??? The Replacements??? Oh yeah oh yeah, you can listen to the whole album on their myspace page. Listening to it from start to finish, I can say its a great album. A little ballad heavy but their great ballads. I hope the next two albums come out soon and not ten years from now.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby grasking on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:43 am

I like the Replacements. I grew up listening to them through high school and college. There are a lot of people who think they're one of the best American underground bands ever. "Bastards of the Young", "The Ledge" and "Gary's Got a Boner" are a few of my favs.

I just find it funny the Stinson is playing with GnR. The Replacements were the antithesis of arena and big rock shows.
grasking

Postby demorganakamark on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:31 pm

Ive heard some of it.....i think, it may be all demos cause it sounds generic to me....
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby demorganakamark on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:35 pm

demorganakamark wrote:Ive heard some of it.....i think, it may be all demos cause it sounds generic to me....

talking about the GnR Chinese DEmo
demorganakamark

Postby doodoobird on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:17 am

I bought the album today. And the Vinyl version. Awesome. I cant believe I own a copy of Chinese Democarcy. Weird. The world must be coming to an end or something.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby Shane on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:46 am

doodoobird wrote:I bought the album today. And the Vinyl version. Awesome. I cant believe I own a copy of Chinese Democarcy. Weird. The world must be coming to an end or something.

Agreed... it's a very weird thing to have in my hands. Like, an impossibility made tangible for just a little while...
Shane
Site Admin

Postby doodoobird on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:47 am

No shit, right?
so, what do you think, shane? Not worth the wait (nothing can be) but a damn good album, I say.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:24 am

I have to get the album in my system a little more......
demorganakamark

Postby Shane on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:07 am

doodoobird wrote:so, what do you think, shane? Not worth the wait (nothing can be) but a damn good album, I say.

It's probably going to get a bit better for me -- and that's not to suggest that I don't like it, though it might sound as such. You're right, it's not a bad album at all, and despite having heard some of the leaked songs ages ago, there's enough of new material on here to keep me interested.

After the first totally complete listen-thru of it though (which honestly just happened today for reasons that are too foolish to get into), I've gotta say it reminds me of this: a perfect example of what a musician turns out when they take a break from being in their "official" band, and release a solo/side project. The tunes are just reminiscent enough to get you into them, and you picked up the disc because of your love/loyalty to the band-as-a-whole, but because the key elements aren't there for this production, it's left you wanting and aware of how it's lacking. I'm not trying to say that there could never be a GnR album that kicked ass again, or even that Axl is incapable of making good music anymore -- hell, this disc kind of proves that he can be, actually. But, upon first listening to this one, it shows that he's not doing it all on his own, like he believed himself capable of doing for so long, and that many of the minutes I heard on Chinese Democracy were alright, they were equally as disappointing in a way, knowing that it could have been different if all the pieces were there.

I dunno -- the better example is of the solo side project to me. The echo of great stuff is there, but it's not fully realized because the total component is absent. It's a very rare thing when a solo project can stand up to the measure an original grouping provides. And my opinion on this one might change more for the better upon subsequent listens, but first time through -- it was a little lacking. And, I mean to stress just a little...
Shane
Site Admin

Postby doodoobird on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:13 pm

most great music takes a few spins to fully digest. I had to listen to it three times over to realize that it is a GREAT album. It really is.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Previous

Return to Music