how many of you were into "Grunge" in the 90s?

What are you listening to now, and why isn't it Marah?

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:04 pm

I thought I better clarify that. Butthole surfers? Seriously? There is really a band with the name Butthole surfers.

Fire up the crematorium and wheel my old ass in. Or, better yet, surf my butthole right into the furnace. jesus.
Dana_Jean

Postby This_Girl on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:07 pm

Dana Jean wrote:Butthole surfers? Seriously?

good god.

Yes...the 90's were full of wonderful band names, LOL. I wonder at times if any thought was put into their names! I do like them, though. There was one out there I never cared for, Goo Goo Dolls - their "lead" once said if they had another name they would have had better sales.

You should start a Bad Band Names thread, tee hee...I am willing to bet there are sooooo many!
This_Girl

Postby Jane on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:40 pm

hahahahohohhohahah deej, yer killin me, my computer screen is trashed again, where in the hell is the freakin squeegee

ok..ahem..now that I have composed myself, this is a great topic! my kidz were in high school in the 90's and were totally into Green Day and Weezer but also the Ramones and some of that rap shit which omg, please kill me or stick pointy things in my ears until my eardrums rupture, I HATED that stuff, we had heated arguments about that I recall

but then I remember when I was their age and grownups hated what I listened to, made me turn it down, forbade me to buy this or that album, and I didn't want to be that mom...

as far as the fashions went, we're bikers ok, they grew up in grunge because we've always been that way..I always insisted on them dressing appropriately for the situation and nothing too vulgar but didn't worry too much..kids go thru phases and stuff.

I still wear jeans and boots and tee shirts and flannel or fleece every day since I own my own business, it's pretty nice actually. I think I'm allergic to pantyhose. 8)
Jane

Postby grasking on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:05 am

Dana Jean wrote:I thought I better clarify that. Butthole surfers? Seriously? There is really a band with the name Butthole surfers.

Fire up the crematorium and wheel my old ass in. Or, better yet, surf my butthole right into the furnace. jesus.

I'm not positive, but I think they had a song called "Golden Showers".
grasking

Postby jodi on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:12 pm

Butthole Surfers have been around since the 80's. Or at least the late 80's. I remember having a tape of them in high school, but can't remember any of their songs.
I heart
jodi

Postby This_Girl on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:03 am

jodi wrote:Butthole Surfers have been around since the 80's. Or at least the late 80's. I remember having a tape of them in high school, but can't remember any of their songs.

Their song that made it most mainstream is "Pepper"....Chorus was like this: I don't mind the sun sometimes, if it ever shows. I can taste you on my lips and smell you in my clothes. Cinnamon and sugary and softly spoken words, never know just how you look through other people eyes"
This_Girl

Smashing Pumpkins

Postby RobCrandall on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:27 am

Hi all, I'm Rob. This is my first post. ...I was, and still am a big Smashing Pumpkins fan. Siamese Dream is an amazing album. I love all the others too, but that one is pure magic.
The new album is not bad either. Anyone else like SP? --Rob --oh, also, does anyone know how to upload an avatar? I can't figure that out...
Hey all, Come visit http://www.silverthought.com for some GREAT speculative fiction! Glad to be a part of the forum, Rob Crandall
RobCrandall

Postby sanswarden on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:35 am

when grunge was huge...i was in elementary school...my older sister was more into it at that time than i was...i mean i grew up listening to what my parents rocked out...rolling stones, deep purple, bad company, black sabbath, ac/dc...

however, there was a time when i got a little older that i was huge into the grunge thing...though it had been over for years...Alice in Chains is still one of my all time favorite bands...
sanswarden

Postby RobCrandall on Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:54 pm

PoisonLily,, Yeah, the new SP album does take a little getting used to. It has its own style, but that;s what I think is neat about the Pumpkins. Each album has its own special style..
as for Alice in Chains...one of my fondest memories is at Lollapalooza in 1993 (i think) when Alice in Chains sang "Rooster" and the whole crowd was singing "we aint gonna die." I tell you, I think I really believed it at that moment it was so powerful.
sidnote: I sent Joe Hill a Private message. Does he ever get a chance to answer any of those, (have any of you gotten a PM response from him?) I'd love to hear from him.
Anyway, have a good night all, --Rob
Hey all, Come visit http://www.silverthought.com for some GREAT speculative fiction! Glad to be a part of the forum, Rob Crandall
RobCrandall

Don't forget Marilyn Manson

Postby Florida on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:50 am

Don't forget Marilyn Manson and NIN!
I saw both of them in high school. The Jim Rose Freak Show opened for them. I saw Steve-o pull himself through a tennis racket before anyone knew who the hell he was. I think it was in 1994.
And as for silly band names you can't leave out Mega Smegma!
Remember that song "honey I sodomized the dog"?
lol
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:15 pm

i was into it just a little bit. I liked Dirt from alice in chains. I was into van halen, testament, and more of the guitar solo era........graduated in 91 for those who wanted to know.....oh yeah, pantera, tool.....you get my point
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Highlander on Sun May 04, 2008 1:32 am

I kinda just barely missed the Nineties, but still like quite a bit of music from then. Soundgarden was probably one of my favorite, and influencial . . . although, I really dig Matchbox Twenty and Pearl Jam.

Gotta say though, the Red Hot Chili Peppers - totally rocked the Nineties.
Highlander

grunge is gone

Postby doodoobird on Thu May 08, 2008 10:45 pm

I was to young to be into grunge when it first hit the scene. But later on.................... when I first got into music (rock type music i should say, because the first music i listened to was mozart, vivaldi, shit like that) Korn, Limp Biskit, the whole new metal thing was at its peak. Back then I was really into Nirvana, pearl jam, alice in chains, (still love em), all those great bands. Honestly, there is so much great music out there (new and old) if you know where to look. You prob wont find them in the mainstream In my opinion, the last group of great rock bands that achieved commercial success was the 'grunge' bands. Pop culture has changed a lot in the time sense, unfortunately.
Check out the bands I listed in the Music section. The headline is GREAT MUSIC. DEVINE TOWNSEND IS GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
doodoobird

MATCHBOX TWENTY SUCK DONEY BALLS

Postby doodoobird on Thu May 08, 2008 10:47 pm

Forgot to mention SOUNDGARDEN! SUPERUNKNOWN is prob one of the greatest albums to come out of the grunge era. Hahahahahaha, I was reading your fav grunge bands, Highlander. Matchbox 20? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: YOU SUCK!
doodoobird

Postby demorganakamark on Fri May 09, 2008 12:06 am

Matchbox 20 has some good songs....everyone has their own taste...
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

PreviousNext

Return to Music