how many of you were into "Grunge" in the 90s?

What are you listening to now, and why isn't it Marah?

how many of you were into "Grunge" in the 90s?

Postby meridith on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:54 pm

speaking of "heart shaped box." how many of you were into the whole gruge thing in the 90s? I graduated in 96 so it was in it's heyday when I was in high school. I loved Pearl Jam (Eddie Veddar rocked!), Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvina, Motherlovebone, Temple of the Dog, Chris Cornell etc. I loved wearing flannel (course living in Maine it wasn't hard LOL). I was also kindof a hippy and loved the Dead and Phish, so I guess you could have called me "crunchy" back in high school.

what is the current thing now anyway? I mean the 70s was disco, punk and classic rock, 80s was new wave, punk and hair bands, 90s had rap and grunge....what about the 00s??????
meridith

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:12 am

God I feel old...I guess I could ask one of my daughters?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:11 pm

I love music from every decade and I graduated in 1985. It seems like the 00's are very Pop-oriented but it'll be easier looking back than trying to figure it out now!

I definitely loved the grunge bands of the 90's and still do. Back in junior ('80-82) high we listened to Journey and wore our Jordache and Gloria Vanderbilt jeans with flannel shirts w/ the sleeves rolled 1/4 of the way up. :) Our top halves were grungy b4 grunge was in.....lol!

I listen- and I bet others are the same way- to old stuff, new stuff, weird stuff....whatever strikes my fancy at any given moment. As long as there's music, I'm happy. :) The only thing I really can't stomach is country music...the kind with titles like "I'd Rather Have a Bottle in Front of Me Than a Frontal Lobotomy." :wink:

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby grasking on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:53 am

I liked Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. There was some good music in the '90s; Air Miami, the Afghan Whigs, Mazzy Star, Archers of Loaf (Icky Mettle is one of my favorite albums of the '90s.) , Pavement, Morphine, JSBX, Sebadoh, Stereolab, Smashing Pumkins and so many others.

I never cared all that much for Pearl Jam. Maybe because one of my friends thought he was Eddie Vedor. I also found them boring.

Most Emo is so boring and whiny. Is it just me or has the definition of Emo changed? People use to say bands like Modest Mouse and the Promise Ring were Emo. Now Emo seems more like Goth-rock.

I also funny that they call a genre of music Emo. Isn't all music emotional?
grasking

Postby jodi on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:38 am

Mazzy Star, I totally forgot about them! Early 90's reminds me of college. I got married in 94 and I think Pearl Jam was big around then? We listened to all kinds of stuff, and still do. I really don't like much of the new female pop artists tho'. They just oversing too much, like theyr'e all trying to be the next Aretha or something.
I heart
jodi

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:25 pm

Oh sweet Lord. I'm in trouble here.
Dana_Jean

Postby meridith on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 am

Mazzy star was cool! I liked Weezer back then too. The Sweater song. And Alanis.

I think Pearl Jam was just getting big around 94 actually!

Many of the pop female stars drive me crazy with the media attention (Britney for example). In alot of ways its sad though, because the media created Britney. i mean she was singing as a teen so she was raised being center of attention.

jodi wrote:Mazzy Star, I totally forgot about them! Early 90's reminds me of college. I got married in 94 and I think Pearl Jam was big around then? We listened to all kinds of stuff, and still do. I really don't like much of the new female pop artists tho'. They just oversing too much, like theyr'e all trying to be the next Aretha or something.
meridith

Postby meridith on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:20 am

Oh yes I loved Green Day!

From what I've read, EMO is supposed to Emotional rock. I've heard of "SCREAMO" where a lot of the music is just that, screaming. EMO has sort of changed to more mainstream stuff like Modest Mouse. At least I think.......

I'm not 100% sure, but people I know who liked "Goth" were into Electronica, things like that. Then you have more mainstream stuff like "Sisters of Mercy" in the 80s. Well ok they aren't mainstream but more popular. Like all the other scenes, things have been changed quite a bit over time to the mainstream.

Then you have the Rockabilly and Psychobilly.

Has anyone heard of the "Suicide Girls?" They are basically alternative pin up girls that have tons of tatoos and wear goth type clothes. sort of like the girls in Heart Shaped Box actually.

poisonlily wrote:Oh Me! Me! I loved listening to Nirvana, STP, and Pearl Jam. I've always liked a wide range of music genres though. On my ipod, I range from Nirvana to Green Day to Eminem to Blake Lewis to Bjork to Beyonce.

The '00s? I'm not sure. Part of me wants to say EMO, I know a TON of people who like that stuff. Part of me wants to say the Comeback Age, because that's exactly what's happening lately, all the old bands are reuniting and going to tours again.
meridith

Postby meridith on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Yes I have a former co-worker/aquantance that does photography with girls like that and for metal/alternative bands. He moved to another state though, but he has way more business. There isn't much in Maine for that type of thing, maybe Portland. oh and he was in a band doing some of the yelling/singing too, but I think it was metal and not "screamo".

There was a CSI episode that talked about the Suicide Girls, it seemed relatively accurate

poisonlily wrote:Yeah, I've heard of the Suicide Girls. I checked out their site. Pretty interesting.
meridith

Postby meridith on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:48 pm

If you want to destroy my sweaterrrr..

I loved the Buddy Holly video with the happy days thing going on!

poisonlily wrote:Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezer!! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!!
meridith

Postby jodi on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:20 pm

I still love Weezer!
I heart
jodi

Postby grasking on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:46 pm

meridith wrote:Has anyone heard of the "Suicide Girls?" They are basically alternative pin up girls that have tons of tatoos and wear goth type clothes. sort of like the girls in Heart Shaped Box actually.

I saw their burlesque show in Northampton, MA a couple of years ago. I hope they come around again. Good Times.
grasking

Postby mojomofo1 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:51 pm

grasking wrote:I liked Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. There was some good music in the '90s; Air Miami, the Afghan Whigs, Mazzy Star, Archers of Loaf (Icky Mettle is one of my favorite albums of the '90s.) , Pavement, Morphine, JSBX, Sebadoh, Stereolab, Smashing Pumkins and so many others.

I never cared all that much for Pearl Jam. Maybe because one of my friends thought he was Eddie Vedor. I also found them boring.

Most Emo is so boring and whiny. Is it just me or has the definition of Emo changed? People use to say bands like Modest Mouse and the Promise Ring were Emo. Now Emo seems more like Goth-rock.

I also funny that they call a genre of music Emo. Isn't all music emotional?

Consider this seconded!

Especially the Pearl Jam bit, I could never stand Eddie Vedder's veiny head.
mojomofo1

Postby This_Girl on Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:54 pm

I was all about grunge, too. (c/o '97) I was kind of snotty about who I liked and did not like, LOL. Huge Nirvana fan, they have been first and foremost for me since SLTS was on the charts...well, in truth, Nirvana ranks second to The Beatles/John Lennon...I pretty much liked all the grunge bands except Pearl Jam (part of my snottiness), Creed, the ones *I* considered posers. It's easier for me to just list the ones I REALLY REALLY like/liked. Radiohead, Tori Amos, Tool, NIN, Korn (not the newer stuff now though), Beastie Boys (They are in my top 10 bands of all time...not sure what genre they are), Smashing Pumpkins, Cake (highly underrated band), Weezer (!!), Dinosaur Jr, Butthole Surfers, Sound Garden.....

I listen to a lot of Sirius and I am usually tuned into "Alt Nation" or "Lithium". If nothing is on those, I am on Coffe House, LOL.

I have no idea what "today's" music is considered. I can tell you there are only a handfull of bands I actually like from "today". Blue October, Cold War Kids, Against Me!, The Fratellis (I fricken love the band name, LOL) and when I hear the song by The Killers, Tranquilize (w/Lou Reed)...I really really like it! To say I like these bands and their songs is huge for me b/c I have gone years and years now not liking any "new" bands...I am finally venturing out of my classic rock / 90's grunge bindings :0)
This_Girl

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:59 pm

Butthole surfers? Seriously?

good god.
Dana_Jean

Next

Return to Music