Any Book that Scared you ...BAD!

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Postby sybil on Fri May 02, 2008 1:01 pm

ok, i need to preface the next paragraph by telling you that there used to be a laundry chute from an upstairs cubby to the lower level of what is now a kitchen cupboard and shelves. when the last owner remodeled he just left the laundry shaft there, and there's a square hole cut into the cupboard where the chute used to end...i've got a picture of a coffee cup over the hole, and on the counter next to it are the coffee machines. so...as you're facing the coffee machines, you've got left: old chute inside cupboard, front: coffee, right: kitchen sink.

sometimes the kitchen sink gurgles (if it were the bathroom sink, i'd die!) and hubby and i always watch it for a while, then nervously laugh about it. one early morning while it was still dark, it did it again. hubby went upstairs to get ready for whatever we were going to do and as he went into the bathroom next to the old chute cubby, he had a brilliant :roll: idea.

he could hear sounds of me getting coffee coming up through the laundry chute, so he went over to it and in a spooky voice said, "we aaaaall float."

:shock:

naturally, i screamed and don't remember how i got from there to 6 feet away, just quivering and sobbing. i could hear him coming down the stairs laughing like a lunatic! i just sagged to a chair and kept sobbing and yelling, "that's not funny! that's not funny." he was still laughing, so i started to get mad on top of having a quart of adrenalin flooding me. then he really he had truly terrorized me, and quit and was genuinely sorry and felt horrible for scaring me so badly. but he still thought it was a pretty good prank, just didn't mean for me to get so shook up.

it took me quite a while to get over it, and even longer before i could laugh about it.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Florida on Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Sounds like you and I have a similar husband.

When we were just married and very poor we moved into a tiny, tiny trailer in the woods on a river.

It was the first night and it was sooo dark! We didn't have any curtains yet either. So I was sitting on the sofa reading and happened to look up from my bood to see a scruffy face peering in at me from the window.

I nearly shat myself! It was my damn husband. He had gone out there to work on the plumbing and had been standing there for about five minutes before I noticed him. BTW I was reading "Graveyard Shift".

But that's ok, I got him back just the other day. I hid in the kitchen with all the lights off when I heard him coming down the hall and then jumped out when he turned the kitchen light on. I'd never seen him jump so high!

It's been nearly twelve years since the window incident but it was worth the wait.

Now that I'm thinking about it, that trailer on the river was really scary. It was full of spiders. My husband figured out a way to hit them just right with a tube sock so that their legs all flew off...lol
I also saw some baby owls in a tree and ran back in the trailer squealing at my husband that there were monkeys in the trees. It went something like this:

"Clint! There's monkeys in the trees!"
"What?"
"Monkeys! Come look!"
Clint is pulled outside and looks up to see what all the fuss is about.
"Babe, those are baby owls...are you ok?"
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri May 02, 2008 2:07 pm

That's funny florida!
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Fri May 02, 2008 4:20 pm

Oh janis! I haven't heard you tell that story before! I'm really sorry about this, but............... that's GREAT!! Ron really nailed you! (Has he had payback yet? Hm....you don't want to get him back in quite the same way tho, with a bad heart...but that deserves some payback!) Did he make his voice at all like Tim's?? *brrrr*

Florida- yours is great, too! Sounds like your 2 hubbies would enjoy sharing a beer and a few laughs together. :)

If Tom has gotten me (and I'm sure he has) I've repressed it, lol.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby sybil on Mon May 05, 2008 1:29 pm

I'm really sorry about this, but............... that's GREAT!! Ron really nailed you!

i should know that you'd love it, LK. LMAO - no, i've never gotten him back on purpose for that. yes, he made his voice sound perfect! it truly scared the hell out of me, even though i immediately knew - in my head - what happened...it didn't make the fear go away. physically, it took a looooong time!

my ex got me really good once, and i about killed him. i didn't forgive him very fast like i did ron. ron was genuinely sorry for how bad he'd frightened me, i can't tell you how utterly terrible it was. exhole never did apologize or try to hold and comfort me when he saw how bad he'd scared me.

it was when cujo first came out...gawd, i loved that book, and really could NOT put it down. i read it in one sitting, and stayed up til 2 or 3am because i HAD to get to the ending. my side of the bed (a king-size water bed, so it was HUGE and tall) was on the far side of the bed.

evidently, hubby had wakened and heard me turning off lights, checking doors, and stuck his pillow under the quilt and went to my side and crouched down by the head of the bed. when i came around, he grabbed my ankle and growled. i was UP and over that bed in 2 seconds flat, screaming and crying. you know how short i am...i had to get up on tiptoes to get my butt on the bed, but i FLEW that night! i beat him about the head and shoulders forever! screaming, "that's not funny!" over and over, and him just warding me off and laughing.

asshole.
janis the joeker
sybil

Re: Any Book that Scared you ...BAD!

Postby frankfathom on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:31 am

I was 17 when I read the exorcist that was scarey. communion by Whitley Strieber was more like paranoia for me. The gunslinger series wasn't scarey but kind of profound in a life in a stand still sort of way. personally speaking not what I got out of the book
http://www.craigcaudill.com

my guilty pleasure are chicken, sushi, poetry and coffee
frankfathom

Postby daisy on Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:07 pm

I know this is an old-ish thread but I just read it and got the giggles hearing of all the other people who read IT and then got the fear that a clown might burst out of the toilet and eat them ... I just remembered being 17 and reading IT over 3 summer nights, during which I had to sit crosslegged and in agony during the hours of darkness, utterly unable to go near the bathroom in case something nasty was hiding in the drain - absurd now but not so funny at the time!

I also just read The Haunting of Hill House. Sleeping with the lights on after that one. Inexplicably one of the most terrifying stories ever.

And Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. That one really did give me nightmares.
daisy

Postby prncsspwr on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:40 am

This is kind of an old thread but I'm new and you guys stories are making me laugh so hard I'm sure my roommate thinks I'm crying. Anyway, IT freaked me out but not about clowns. The part of that book I can't get out of my head is Georgie going down to the basement to get the wax for the paperboat. Now whenever I'm at my mom's and she asks me to get something from the basement my response is, "Do I have to?" I swear once I went down there to do my laundry and she was just standing there facing the wall like in The Blair Witch Project-scared the crap outta me!

My sister sent me an email after she read HSB on my recommendation and that it scared the crap out of her and gave her really bad dreams. But she loved it!
prncsspwr

Postby Melissa on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:50 pm

Amityville Horror scared the crap out of me as a kid, but I read it over, and over, and over, and over. It - since I was all of about 12 when I read it, and The Shining.
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Re:

Postby LauraK on Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:43 pm

LauraK wrote:This will probably sound silly now but the book that scared me the worst was The Amityville Horror. When I'd get to the drawing the daughter made of Jodie the pig, then thinking of seeing those eyes looking in the window..... :shock:

LK

Lol! Melissa, I posted this 2 yrs ago and it's still my answer! Like you, I'd read it over and over even tho it scared the crap outta me! 8)

LauraK

Postby Melissa on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Windows at night still scare me - waiting for the little red eyes....
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby LauraK on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Yes! Whenever I see a fly on an inside window? Amityville. Lol.

LauraK

Postby Melissa on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:06 pm

I moved into this old house several years back. I got home one day and my bedroom floor was and windowsill was COVERED with dead flies - very weird and random. There were a couple dozen at least. Scared me so bad, I made my mom go in to clean it up. I slept on the couch that night. I was 24 or so...lol.

And after talking about this last night, I went in my bedroom to go to bed. The curtains were open and I had to make Lucas come in and close them. I usually have to do that anyway, because I'm quite sure that there's a vampire out there ready to hypnotize me or something into making me let it in, but this time, I was convinced that I'd see some little red eyes.

Yeah, I'm nuts
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby LauraK on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:03 pm

No, you're not nuts. You're among your own, here. :twisted:
(If I thought there was a vampire outside my window waiting to hypnotize me, I'd leave the window open, lol!)

The red-eyes is a good reason to close the curtains, tho.

After we bought new mattress and box springs, we just let them sit on the floor since they're so deep, we didn't want to use a ladder to climb into bed. That eliminated what's-under-the-bed-waiting-to-get-me fear.......but........

......now I have to wonder where the crawling arm that used to live under the bed lives now. :shock:

LauraK

Postby Pickman on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:52 am

Leopoldo Gout "Ghost Radio" - the main plotline in this book is pretty scary as well (in David Lynch style), but what makes it really chilling is the numerous "stories in a story", i.e. the accounts of eerie and frightening events reported by the callers of Ghost Radio (a radioshow about the supernatural).

And speaking of classic books... well, Stephen King's "The Shining" and "Pet Sematary", Peter Straub's "Koko", Thomas Tryon's "The Other", William Golding's "Lord of the Flies", George Orwell's "1984", Charles MacLean's "The Watcher", "Song of Kali" and "The Terror" by Dan Simmons, plus Ramsey Campbell, Arthur Machen and H.P. Lovecraft's short stories...
What dreams may come...
Pickman

PreviousNext

Return to Novels