Any Book that Scared you ...BAD!

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Re: Any Book that Scared you ...BAD!

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:20 am

Ooooo...SONG OF KALI was creepy! It took me a while to get over that one!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby gandalf239 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:29 pm

Don't laugh at me, but for some reason I was never able to finish Silence of the Lambs. Other than that, off the top of my head, I can't think of a book that out-and-out scared me, but I can tell you this:

I was visiting my dad in Colorado the year SK's IT came out; in fact, it was one of my Christmas presents. In the house where he lived, me being 16 or 17 at the time, I got my own bunk. In the basement. I don't know if this was my first time there or not, but as with most SK stuff I was up late reading. The only light was a bulb hanging down from the ceiling above my bed. I couldn't tell you where I was in the book, but up until that point I don't think I was particularly scared. Until the light burnt out. I kid you not. The light bulb gave up the ghost in the middle of an SK book! I put IT down, afraid to move. And willed myself to sleep (such sleep as I got).
gandalf239

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:00 am

That's a good one gandalf...after IT I don't think I'd ever be able to sleep in a basement!
I've told this one before, but when hubby was a teen he was reading 'SALEM'S LOT when his brother came home late and had locked himself out. He didn't want to wake their parents so he tapped on hubby's window to be let in. Hubby refused (because of the book) and brother got in big trouble for being out so late!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Merseywriter on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:00 pm

The first real horror book that gave me the shivers was James Herbert's brilliant debut novel THE RATS, which I read - in one day, as I enjoyed it so much - back in 1975. For me, that is the ULTIMATE horrro book. His second novel, THE FOG, comes a close second (the scene in the school gym is so unforgettable in its depiction of sheer, graphic horror!).

Loved his other rart books too, especially LAIR.

Merseywriter
http://www.horrorwriters.net
Merseywriter

Previous

Return to Novels