Any writers here?

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Any writers here?

Postby doodoobird on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:24 pm

I was wondering if any of guys(als) are writers? I've been writing short stories for some time now. I finally mustered up enough courage to work on a novel. If anyone is interested i would love to have someone read some of my short stories. Or if anyone here writes I would love to read some of YOUR stuff. I have plenty of friends who know I write and their always like, 'Yeah dude, i would love to read some of your work,' but never actually do and I am in need of some readers feedback. Besides, I would rather have somebody who actually READS to critique my stuff. Anyway, if anyone is interested it would be much appreciated. Later :D
doodoobird

Re: Any writers here?

Postby Paul_Campbell on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:09 am

doodoobird wrote:I was wondering if any of guys(als) are writers? I've been writing short stories for some time now. I finally mustered up enough courage to work on a novel. If anyone is interested i would love to have someone read some of my short stories. Or if anyone here writes I would love to read some of YOUR stuff. I have plenty of friends who know I write and their always like, 'Yeah dude, i would love to read some of your work,' but never actually do and I am in need of some readers feedback. Besides, I would rather have somebody who actually READS to critique my stuff. Anyway, if anyone is interested it would be much appreciated. Later :D

Only writer I know of here is Barry Wood. I'm talking, of course, professional: I'm sure there are loads of us here who mistake a love of reading for a talent for writing! :wink: :roll:

Your absolute best bet is to join this online writers' workshop:

http://www.hatrack.com/writers/index.shtml

Hope this helps.
Paul_Campbell

Postby Izydor_Ingwar_I. on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:38 am

I write short stories and creepy rhymes. Stories get published in semi-pro zines and sometimes win an award or two, but not anything that'd make me call myself a pro. Mostly because I don't get paid for it ;). Also because I rarely send them anywhere - I still consider them too stupid. There are a lot of writers in Poland whose prose is, in my humble opinion and in opinion of my friends, kinda more stupid than mine AND gets published, but that doesn't mean I'm sending in my crap to join them lame-os ;). The rhymes are for my friends. I illustrate them myself (meaning: ugly ;) ).

It's all in Polish, of course. But I'll try translating some of my better trash for you. I think one of my comic books should suffice, it's called 'Psychopatic Zombie Killer-Bunny, Pink-Plumaged' and it was conceived as a joke for my '30-'40s comic panel, it's crude and rather offensive, as comic books were then. But it was fun to make and that's what it's all about, nay? So stay tuned, true believers.
And as I slit it open
It became clear to me that
Scalpel cuts are not as easy to close
As I'd suspected earlier.
Izydor_Ingwar_I.

Postby Izydor_Ingwar_I. on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:43 am

Ooh, and I wrote the first sentence of my first novel. Just so when someone asks: "Hi, man, whatcha doin' right now?", I can reply: "Ah, nothing special. Just working, studying, you know, everyday stuff. Oh, and I'm working on my first novel".

(why the heck can't I edit my previous post? Or is that, like, forbidden by some American state law or something?)
And as I slit it open
Izydor_Ingwar_I.

Postby Shane on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:13 am

Izydor Ingwar I. wrote:Ooh, and I wrote the first sentence of my first novel. Just so when someone asks: "Hi, man, whatcha doin' right now?", I can reply: "Ah, nothing special. Just working, studying, you know, everyday stuff. Oh, and I'm working on my first novel".

That's always a fun thing to have in your arsenal of statements, indeed!

(why the heck can't I edit my previous post? Or is that, like, forbidden by some American state law or something?)

I've written about this a few times already, but there are plenty of nooks here, so you might not have come across it yet...

http://joehillfiction.informe.com/viewt ... ght=#16499
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Izydor_Ingwar_I. on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:04 am

Shane wrote:I've written about this a few times already, but there are plenty of nooks here, so you might not have come across it yet... http://joehillfiction.informe.com/viewt ... ght=#16499

Oh. Well, I don't mind. I just know that some message boards' moderators don't like people replying to themselves. I always use preview, but it's rather impossible in a situation where I remember about something I should have written a few minutes earlier. But I'm cool with that. Yeah. I'm cool. You people are cool, too.
And as I slit it open
Izydor_Ingwar_I.

Postby Shane on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:21 am

Izydor Ingwar I. wrote:Oh. Well, I don't mind. I just know that some message boards' moderators don't like people replying to themselves.

Though I can appreciate that, I really don't mind... so long as it doesn't get terribly excessive. But, as a person who used to quote himself in class discussions with professors, I can't hardly mind if someone has to reply to themselves every once in a while! :D
Shane
Site Admin

writing

Postby doodoobird on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:49 am

Yeah, like i said earlier: if anyone would like to read some of my short stories so i can get some much needed feedback I will forever be your SLAVE! And if anyone has something they would like for me to read I would love to. :oops: :oops:
doodoobird

writing

Postby doodoobird on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:56 am

Oh yeah, to let anyone interested know what kind of stuff i write about..... well, just about everything. I wrote a story about a guy taking an elevator trip to hell (called 'going down') A story about a guy on the verge of suicide who has some divine intervention take place that leads to him receiving supernatural powers (called 'given to fly', inspired by a Pearl Jam song) I wrote Lord of The Rings type fantasy. Thinking about it now, most of my story's have to do with death and the afterlife (ironic because am an atheist)
The novel am working on is by far my best writing. I started it because I finally feel feel confident that I can now get published. It is about Iraq (i did two tours there with the Army's first infantry). It is not really a war novel, I really didnt want to write a war story because its not what i do, its more a story about madness. If i had to describe something similar to what i am trying to achieve with it, I would say Apocalypse Now motivated me to write this story because it showed me that what I am trying to pull off is possible.
Anyway, let me know if your interested in reading some of my work. Like i said, I will be your SLAVE.
(No sexual favors! Unless of course your a hot chick.) :D :D :shock: :shock:
doodoobird

Re: writing

Postby Izydor_Ingwar_I. on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:55 am

doodoobird wrote:Thinking about it now, most of my story's have to do with death and the afterlife (ironic because am an atheist)

That's maybe ironic but not at all surprising. Dunno about your religious history, but as for me, I was raised a catholic, like 90% people in Poland and today I consider myself atheist, agnostic at best. I noticed at some point that many of my stories deal with religion and belief in general, some of them really catholic-oriented. I think many people who consider themselves atheists had the time to actually THINK about their beliefs and not just go blindly to church every Sunday because they were raised to do so. Unfortunately, that's most of the Polish catholic community. Don't get me wrong - I don't question their beliefs, just their motivation.
And as I slit it open
Izydor_Ingwar_I.

religion and stuff

Postby doodoobird on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:02 am

Yeah, my story is very similar. I come from a catholic family (from the balkans) but not seriously religious or anything. I would have considered myself a catholic up until the age of about 19. I guess i started to question some of the fudamental practices of the church and religion in general. Not a good thing. Going to war was the final straw. Being that the people who started the iraq war are seriously involved in the church i could not hide (deny) the hypocracy of it anymore. After awhile I realized how silly it is to believe in an imaginary supreme being in the sky. Thats why they try to get you young, when you believe anything. Anyway, the novel am working on has serious religious themes thruout. I guess this subject keeps on coming up in my writing because its my way of dealing with these issues and exposing the evils of religion (especially organized religion) is something i feel strongly about. You seem to be of a similar mind, I would really love for you to read some of my stuff (even the first fifty pages of my novel which is very much a work in progress) so i can get your take on it. I am in dire need of constructive criticism :twisted: :twisted:
doodoobird

Postby Rhymer on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:55 am

I write as much as my time allows, although by posting here I show that I'm not spending all of my time writing. I wouldn't mind reading one of those short stories you mentioned. It is probably all I'd have time for and besides, your novel isn't finished yet :)

We can trade short stories back and forth. I've got one about a young farm boy who joins the military after all his older brothers die in a decades long war, called The Star Captain. I've got another, A Tale of Girl and Demon, about a seriously troubled little girl who already has a fetish for setting fires but sees a demon who begins to talk her into doing nastier things. I've got a story titled Nevermore about a dwarf in an eugenics saturated future trying to cope with being a social outcast. Frederick, the dwarf, loves the Poe poem The Raven and the poem becomes a metaphor for his life. I've also got a story, Scrimshaw, about nine year old twins who find a scrimshaw fishbone in an old house their father is renovating. It turns dreams into realities, but with harsh consequences as they soon discover.

My email is kespires@gmail.com if you want to shoot me one of those stories and I'll shoot you one of mine.
Rhymer

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:22 pm

Hey Shane...I hope it's ok that I do this. If not, just let me know.

A friend of mine has recently started up his own publishing company and I thought maybe some of you writers out there would be interested. Here is the link:

http://secondwindpublishing.com/index.html

At the moment they are only accepting pretty much mainstream novels...romance, mystery...etc. But if you've got something good I'm sure they would consider it. One thing I like about his idea for this company is that it gives writers a better chance of being published. He started it out of frustration because he & several of his friends were having trouble getting the time of day out of literary agents and publishers. At any rate, I thought I'd throw it out there just in case anyone is interested.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Return to Novels