Deathly Hallows Discussion- DEFINITE SPOILERS INSIDE!!!

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Deathly Hallows Discussion- DEFINITE SPOILERS INSIDE!!!

Postby LauraK on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:09 am

DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE BOOK!!! TONS OF SPOILERS ABOUND!!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
(I posted this at another board, so c/p):
I loved it so much! This was the best ending to a book series I've ever read, and yes, I do mean better than the Dark Tower, imo. It took me time to accept the way the DT ended- with DH, it was immediate and just felt right.

I can't tell you how many times I gasped out loud and lol, too. George being 'saintly' because now he was 'holey!' LOL!

This one was certainly the darkest and, I thought, most exciting: The first confrontation w/ the Deatheaters and Voldemort in the sky; he can fly!.........Hedwig- no!! ........at least Bill and Fleur were able to marry before the attack came......Moody dead .....binding and obliviating Deatheaters- yeah!....Kreacher's tale and new loyalty.....infiltrating the Ministry, barely escaping and going on the run.....Ron's departure......Godric's Hollow and Nagini and nearly Voldy, too....Harry seeing exactly what happened the night his parents died....Dumbledore- Not Perfect??? Not Selfless???.....Ron's return, 1 Horcrux down....Captured and taken to Malfoy Manor.....Hermione torured by Bellatrix!!....Freed by Dobby....Dobby's death ......Raiding Bellatrix's vault....Aberforth, his story and the tunnel into Hogwarts.....Cursing the Callows .....Snape escapes; he also flies!.....Another Horcrux down....Ron and Hermione's big kiss....the Battle for Hogwarts......Crabbe dead, no biggie.....Another Horcrux destroyed.....Fred- No!!! ......Snape's death Remus and Tonks- NO!!! ......Snape's memories and Vindication!! ......Harry talks with his parents, Sirius and Remus.....Harry's sacrifice.....Harry's intermission with Dumbledore......Harry's return and vanquishment of Voldemort, killed for good by his own rebounded Avada Kedavra!!! Loved how Harry explained it all to him, yet Voldy still didn't get it, lol!.......Yes, the sweet epilogue. I love that Harry named his son Albus Severus.

I can't believe how good it was! I had hoped for some sort of talk between Harry and Snape and for him (Snape) to have been vindicated in front of everyone, but eh. He WAS good!!! neener-neener-neener!

Hermione was just brilliant! Like Harry said, I don't know what they'd have done without her. Ron also really came through, even after getting angry and deserting them. I was disgusted with Remus wanting to leave Tonks and his baby- wish there could have been a bit more of that, seeing him realize Harry was right and ll. Draco Malfoy. Do we really know his allegiance? Was he tipped toward the side of light by DD but then, cowardly, he just went with the Deatheaters since it looked to him like they'd win? They (Harry & Draco) obviously didn't keep in touch after the final batlle, huh? Loved Neville and his supreme bravery and leadership. Getting the Sword and killing Nagini? It's easy to see that if Voldy had chosen him as his vanquisher years ago, how he'd have fought just as hard as Harry has. Molly Kicking Bella's ass and sending her to Hell was Great!!! Reading Voldemort's thoughts was interesting. He was so pompous and self-righteous it was easy to see how, lacking any feeling of love or compassion, he missed the most important things that could have ended this differently. I loved how Harry explained the true owner of the Elder Wand- I'd completely forgotten about Draco taking DD's wand! That was genious.

JK- I salute you. Thank you for this gift of unbelievably good and satisfying series of books and for ending it so well.

LK

PS- I completely forgot to add: Do you think JK setting the epilogue at 19 years in the future was a nod and a wink to Stephen King? I'd like to think so. :)

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby LauraK on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:58 pm

C'mon, has anyone finsihed and want to talk? :)

(Another c/p I posted elsewhere..)
Isn't it sad to see the parrallels between Harry and Severus, in relation to Dumbledore?

Even though he used them both as a means to an end, albeit a good end, he hoped..... he still only told each of them what he thought they needed to know and nothing more. He made them both feel like something was missing, that they weren't fully trusted.

Just as Harry could never understand why DD trusted Severus, Severus seemed definitely jealous of whatever DD was telling Harry and not him, neither knowing that they worked together toward the same goal.

I liked when DD tells Severus how brave he believes him to be, and says that he sometimes thinks that they sort too soon. (!!) So, like Harry was told by the Hat that he'd have done well in SLytherin, so Severus was told by DD that he'd have done well in Gryffindor, lol!

When Severus and DD have their talk in the Forbidden Forest, Severus is angry that DD won't tell him everything yet expects him to kill DD. he says maybe he's changed his mind, looking angry and mutinous.
I think that explains his expression as he actually kills DD on top of the Tower. (Though I do still wish JK would tell us why Sevrus' killing curse caused Dumbledore to rise up and then be flung over the edge. Maybe because of the extreme emotions Severus experienced?)

I also liked how shocked Severus was (as was I!) when DD tells him that Harry must die at just the right time: "You have kept him alive so that he can die at the right moment?..............Now you tell me you have been raising him like a pig for slaughter------"

Harry got to see how much Severus loved his mother, how he saved Remus the night they left Privet Drive, how he hated the term Mudblood- all of it. Yet we didn't really see his reaction to all of this in words. Only that he'd named a son after Albus and Severus. I was really hoping to read Harry's thoughts on it all. I know it was all because of Severus' love for Lily but had he lived, I think he and Harry could have eventually been friends. I'm quite sad about it. I expected him to die and was ready for it, but oh how I wish he'd have lived to see some happiness.

Sorry for being corny........ :oops:

LK

LauraK

Postby Paul_Campbell on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:07 pm

Hi Laura,

Yep, finished it Sunday afternoon!

Loved it!

I honestly thought JK was going to kill off Harry, but what she actually did was to play ALL the cards and thus constantly keep people guessing! Brilliant!

Loved Snape's story - extremely well handled.

A lot of people on Amazon have griped about the epilogue -

- well, this is my take on it: I liked it. But you know what, it serves absolutely no purpose...

... to the story, that is (there's nothing here that the reader couldn't have inferred.)

The real reason for the epilogue is simple: I always thought JK would kill Harry, if for no other reason than to 'kill' the series, thus eliminating the tempation of returning to it in later years.

But she very simply - and cleverly! - did kill the series with that very short and very effective epilogue. "See," JK seems to be saying, "there's no University of Wizardry, there'll be no book eight, 'Harry Potter and the Mid-Life Crisis'. The series is kaputt. Finished. The end. This is a dead series."

Folks who gripe about the epiloque are just voicing their sour grapes because JK has so effectively killed the series, with nought of a possibility of returning. There's no gleam or hint of a way out - or 'back in' I should say! - and this ikes people who like Hollywood-style endings that leave themselves wide open for endless sequels.

In this sense JK's done the perfect ending:

She's left us all gasping for more!
Paul_Campbell

Postby LauraK on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi Paul-

I also thought she'd kill Harry....and she did get to, huh? She just had that ace up her sleeve.

You're probably right about the epilogue but she can still choose in the future to write for the adult Harry, Hermione and Ron. Perhaps when their kids are grown, another Dark Lord will rise and there will be another prophecy. :)

I'm rather hoping that she'll decide to write more of the wizarding world in the future- beyond the encyclopedia she's talked about doing.

We never did read that Snape was buried, or that his body was recovered......maybe he didn't really die...... :P

I was quite sad and now- angry- about her killing off Tonks and Lupin. Unneccesary, imo. Now we have another orphaned boy only we know he'll have a better upbringing than Harry received.
Hmmmmmmmmmm......
maybe in the future she'll be writing about Teddy! :)

I enjoyed it immensely and have never been so wrapped up in a series of books. Deathly Hallows was a heck of a ride, especially knowing that it was time to push the lap bar up and step off. I will be rereading these for the rest of my life and hope my son will one day be reading them, too. :)

LK

LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:30 am

I finished it tonight. It is 4 in the morning here, I just had to finish it.

It was beautiful. I was crying over everything. And everyone. And for what was and for what will never be. I have never been so honored to read something so wonderful. I just absolutely think this was a brilliant piece of workmanship.

What a legacy to leave to this world. This is one piece of pop culture history I am very proud that I was there to see from beginning to end.

and I guess I'm being corny too LK. I can't even speak, I'm so verklempt.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:45 am

Amen! :D

LK

LauraK

Postby Mercy on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:35 pm

I just finished it last night too. I loved it, I also cried through the entire thing, and I really enjoyed how she saved Harry. I wish that she hadn't killed the people she did, but it was war, and if there weren't losses then it wouldn't be so bad. It just ticked me off about Tonks, Lupin and Fred. I really like those characters, hated that they had to die, though I suppose in some ways it furthered Harry's cause, gave him more reason to finish things. And I almost cheared out loud when Molly killed Bellatrix, had to restrain myself because my SO hasn't read it yet, don't want to ruin anything for him.
As for the epilouge, I thought it was kinda touching, how he had honored all of those who had sacrificed for him. It wasn't necesarily needed, but what the hell, you know, why not give people a taste of how the happy ending worked out.
Mercy

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:38 pm

I think Paul hit that ending right on the head. It was a way to say "look kids, this really is THE END." And you know what? I wanted to see Harry finally happy in a family that adored him.

I thought it was perfect.
Dana_Jean

Postby Janice on Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:37 pm

**THE WORST SPOILER I'VE EVER SEEN:**
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby LauraK on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:13 pm

Yes but the good thing about that is, that jerk will probably end up with either busted-out windows or slashed tires.
I'd give him a bloody nose on top of it. :evil: Jerkwad.

LK

LauraK

Postby Janice on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:04 pm

I guess I can understand how the Potter-mania might seem a little absurd to the few holdouts who haven't been following the series, but that's a really mean-spirited thing to do.

And for the record, I'd like to pat us all on the back for remembering to post our spoilers correctly and not absent-mindedly slipping in any of the other threads.

We rock sometimes, huh?
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby MadamMack on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:57 am

Yeap, that was a mean person that did the car thing. Probably ruin it for a child.

Potter will never be absurb.
Yes, it's me!
MadamMack

Postby sybil on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:03 pm

what a peckerhead. i hope LK's right about the busted windows.

laura, laura, laura. SNAPE IS DEAD. therethere, hon - you'll be ok.

personally, i liked the ending too. and immediately thought, "well, that kiboshes any more in the series. she TOLD us she wouldn't do more." interesting about the 19. JK & SK are friends...i can imagine her doing it for that reason.

hmmm, LK...another orphan. hmmmm.....
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby LauraK on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:13 pm

laura, laura, laura. SNAPE IS DEAD.

Ah janis, you also were sure that he was evil...... :P heheh

LK

LauraK

Postby And_Goes on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:55 pm

*sigh*...and here comes the voice of dissention...I thought her writing was stilted at the beginning. Almost as if she were forcing it to 'bend' to her will. It left way too many unanswered questions imo. What about Umbridge??? I understand characters die...ppl die so characters die but Dobby? That hurt me, it really did. I'll be re-reading the book shortly, as I was in the hospital for the first half of the book and I'm really hoping that influenced how I perceived the beginning.

LK, no smacking the invalid!*snort*
I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little children jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming. They don't know I'm only using blanks...Emo Phillips
And_Goes

Next

Return to Novels