J.D. Salinger

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

J.D. Salinger

Postby Francesca on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Last week I heard that J.D. Salinger passed away. Unlike most of my peers, I did not read his novel, The Catcher in the Rye in high school. It was not part of our English course because the school board had banned it from the curriculum. I actually read the book on my own after I'd finished college. I'd heard so much about the novel from my friends and from other writers. This being the case, I had to investigate for myself.

Written in 1951, The Catcher in the Rye was well ahead of its time. Its open profanity and sexual undertones led to the book being prohibited from many libraries in the country. The protagonist, Holden Caulfield, was the original rebel without a cause. He was an outcast whose coming-of-age story struck a chord with millions of youths throughout the world. The novel influenced the production of more than ten films in Hollywood as well as a song by the band Guns N Roses.

After the publication of his most famous novel, Salinger went into seclusion and wrote very little. He published a collection called Nine Stories in 1953. This was followed by his novella, Franny and Zooey, in 1961 and two more novellas in 1963, Raise High the Roof Beam and Carpenters and Seymour. In 1965, he published his last work, a novella entitled "Hapworth 16, 1924" in The New Yorker.

In June 2009, Salinger filed a lawsuit against another writer for copyright infringement after an unauthorized sequel to The Catcher in the Rye was published. On January 27, 2010, he died of natural causes in his home at Cornish, New Hampshire.

It is with a sigh and a heavy heart that I bid farewell to this dear writer, one of the last great American authors of the twentieth century. Rest in peace, Mr. Salinger.
Last edited by Francesca on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There is something I see in you. It might kill me. I want it to be true."
Francesca

Re: J.D. Salinger

Postby Starchild on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:10 pm

I loved the Catcher in the Rye. One of the best books ever
Starchild

Re: J.D. Salinger

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:07 am

Me too.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Return to Novels