just after sunset

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Re: just after sunset

Postby Melissa on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:22 pm

eh, like I said, disappointed probably wasn't the right word, but the only one I could grab....I'm MORE than happy to read them again!
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby sybil on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:09 pm

i DO know what you mean, melissa. you wanted fresh meat!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:52 pm

I know what you mean, too, Melissa but I gotta say that I am grateful to have the ones that were published in places I missed. I think one of them was originally published in Playboy and that's just not one of my usual reads! :)
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:30 pm

sybil wrote:
I know that they worked together on "Throttle" from the "HE IS LEGEND"..is there something that im missing....please edumacate me

sorry mark - i've ordered so many books lately, i did indeed get confused about what was where. shane is right, the collaboration is in "he is legend" which i will be getting.

melissa, i'm sorry you were disappointed. i've done that before with other anthologies. but it's been pretty well publisized that those previously published shorts would be in this, so i'm prepared for it.

lol---no need to apologize..silly
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby This_Girl on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:32 pm

I have obtained Just After Sunset. :) Things are good.
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:49 am

Yes indeed TG! I'm really enjoying it...trying to read it slowly to make it last, but that's not really working out!

Betsy_Boo

Postby This_Girl on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:38 am

LOL, BB. I tossed my current read aside to get right into Just After Sunset. I suck so bad, LOL...but who am I to deny myself? The other book will be there when I am through with this one :) I usually never do that. I also read Willa then went right to A Very Tight Place. That is something I NEVER do - I am not sure why I did.
Oh well.
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:03 am

I was very tempted to skip the few I had already read but I can't. It would really be over too soon if I did that!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Melissa on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:10 pm

I'm skipping those until the end....gotta read the new stuff first! Reading N. right now, and I'm glad I didn't skip that one, lots more in there than there was online!
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:29 am

I just finished "N." last night...great story. So far they are all great stories! Which brings me to a thought I had last night about short stories in general. I've been reading a lot of short stories over the last year and I have to agree with whoever said that it is a harder process than writing a novel. With a novel you have plenty of time to develop characters and get the reader invested in "what happens next?". With all the short stories I've read over the past year I realized how rare that is. SK and Joe really have that down. I've read a couple of Mike Resnick & Neil Gaiman stories that do the same for me, but to do it consistently is a very rare gift. It almost feels like magic!

Betsy_Boo

Postby This_Girl on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:38 am

What I have noticed with reading short stories is that I have to take a break between. Once I finish one, I need a moment to sit back and digest it. When I move right along I notice I am still thinking about the previous story.

I agree that they do amazing work getting a story out within such few pages. It must be quite a task. I do enjoy them.
This_Girl

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:26 am

----im still waiting------im trying not to spend any money and utilize the library---I dont know how much longer i can wait around.
demorganakamark

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:18 am

demorganakamark wrote:----im still waiting------im trying not to spend any money and utilize the library---I dont know how much longer i can wait around.

Hey Mark...if you ever have a free afternoon you should go to B&N, sip some coffee and read some of the stories. When I worked there we had people do that all the time. We had one homeless guy who would come in several times a week and read books because he obviously couldn't afford to buy any. He took good care of the books so we let him do it. The only ones who did this that really irritated me were the ones who would grab a huge stack of magazines, read all of them and then leave them scattered all over the tables or the floor.

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:----im still waiting------im trying not to spend any money and utilize the library---I dont know how much longer i can wait around.

Hey Mark...if you ever have a free afternoon you should go to B&N, sip some coffee and read some of the stories. When I worked there we had people do that all the time. We had one homeless guy who would come in several times a week and read books because he obviously couldn't afford to buy any. He took good care of the books so we let him do it. The only ones who did this that really irritated me were the ones who would grab a huge stack of magazines, read all of them and then leave them scattered all over the tables or the floor.

oH, THATs a good idea. Thanks BB.
demorganakamark

Postby This_Girl on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:16 pm

Mark, If you still haven't gotten your hands on it by the time I'm done with my copy...I wouldn't mind sending it your way. I'd trust that you'd send it back when you could. If not, no big whoop. It's not a special copy or anything.
This_Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Novels