just after sunset

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Re: just after sunset

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:18 am

demorganakamark wrote:----im still waiting------im trying not to spend any money and utilize the library---I dont know how much longer i can wait around.

Hey Mark...if you ever have a free afternoon you should go to B&N, sip some coffee and read some of the stories. When I worked there we had people do that all the time. We had one homeless guy who would come in several times a week and read books because he obviously couldn't afford to buy any. He took good care of the books so we let him do it. The only ones who did this that really irritated me were the ones who would grab a huge stack of magazines, read all of them and then leave them scattered all over the tables or the floor.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:----im still waiting------im trying not to spend any money and utilize the library---I dont know how much longer i can wait around.

Hey Mark...if you ever have a free afternoon you should go to B&N, sip some coffee and read some of the stories. When I worked there we had people do that all the time. We had one homeless guy who would come in several times a week and read books because he obviously couldn't afford to buy any. He took good care of the books so we let him do it. The only ones who did this that really irritated me were the ones who would grab a huge stack of magazines, read all of them and then leave them scattered all over the tables or the floor.

oH, THATs a good idea. Thanks BB.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby This_Girl on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:16 pm

Mark, If you still haven't gotten your hands on it by the time I'm done with my copy...I wouldn't mind sending it your way. I'd trust that you'd send it back when you could. If not, no big whoop. It's not a special copy or anything.
This_Girl

Postby Melissa on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:34 pm

DONE - finished it this morning!!! :)
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:19 am

I finished last night...great book! I really liked "Willa" and "N." alot. And I liked how one of the characters in "A Very Tight Place" was named "Betsy" although I have to say my stomach was a little queasy when I finished that one!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Melissa on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:56 am

Harvey's Dream is still really sticking with me for some reason. That was really the only one that I had to stop reading for a second, I realized I had kind of stopped breathing....just struck me that certain way. I really liked Willa and N. too though, definitely the stronger ones of the bunch!
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby This_Girl on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:54 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:I finished last night...great book! I really liked "Willa" and "N." alot. And I liked how one of the characters in "A Very Tight Place" was named "Betsy" although I have to say my stomach was a little queasy when I finished that one!

Thought of you, Betsy. Betsy was a good character :)
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:02 pm

Yes...she was. BTW, did anyone have any issues with SK's comments on "spoilers" in his notes on JAS? In the intro he says if you cheat and look at the "liner notes" at the end "shame on you" and yet he also says that people who get upset about spoilers are "spoiled"...I assume as in "brats". I don't know if he ever reads Joe's site comments but I gotta say, besides being hypocritical this statement was offensive to me. I can't stand it when someone spoils the ending of a story to me...whether it is a novel, short story or a movie. Why doesn't he understand that? OR...am I not understanding his point?

Betsy_Boo

Postby Melissa on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:31 am

hmmm, I'll have to go back and re-read that. I didn't get a bad vibe at all....but I'll get back to you
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Florida on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:49 am

I just started this last night. I'm digging it so far...
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:08 am

This_Girl wrote:Mark, If you still haven't gotten your hands on it by the time I'm done with my copy...I wouldn't mind sending it your way. I'd trust that you'd send it back when you could. If not, no big whoop. It's not a special copy or anything.

Oh, TG, how very nice and sweet of you. Im first on the list to get it when it gets back in from the library. SO, i think that im good for now. I really, really do appreciate the offer, I may take you up on it if it doesnt come in in the next couple of weeks. :D

I would have responded earlier.Thanksgiving is such a madhouse here.
demorganakamark

Postby This_Girl on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:52 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:Yes...she was. BTW, did anyone have any issues with SK's comments on "spoilers" in his notes on JAS? In the intro he says if you cheat and look at the "liner notes" at the end "shame on you" and yet he also says that people who get upset about spoilers are "spoiled"...I assume as in "brats". I don't know if he ever reads Joe's site comments but I gotta say, besides being hypocritical this statement was offensive to me. I can't stand it when someone spoils the ending of a story to me...whether it is a novel, short story or a movie. Why doesn't he understand that? OR...am I not understanding his point?

I had to re-read that in order to reply here.
The note about reading the liner notes at the end/ shame on you. I think he meant if you read them prior to reading the story. (You already may know that's what he meant - but from the above I wasn't sure if you thought he meant shame on you for reading it at all).
As for people crying spoiler and being spoiled. I don't know what that meant. A guess I am pulling from nowhere is maybe he meant if you read the story notes and think they spoil the story somehow then phewy to you??? LOL, I really didn't get what hea meant there.

Anyway, I had no issues with what he said. I always enjoy anything SK writes in the notes or intros. I like the insight and anything he really says as SK and not as narator/character. :)
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:25 am

Yeah...I do too, actually. Sorry about the rant. I guess I was feeling kinda cranky that night. I've always enjoyed SK's intros and "liner notes" and on the rare occasion when he doesn't do it I've been disappointed. When he writes these notes to his readers it almost feels like he's sitting right there talking to you and it feels very personal. I guess I shouldn't have gone off like that...I guess I felt like I was being chastised. Silly, huh? Especially when he doesn't know me from Adam. The bottom line is I love his work and will always be one of his many "Constant Readers"!

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:00 pm

FINALLY.........the library called me yesterday. Thanks for the offer TG.
demorganakamark

Postby This_Girl on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:14 pm

No problem. Glad you got the call.
This_Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Novels