Nobel Prize Article

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Nobel Prize Article

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:56 am

Did anyone else happen to catch the AP article quoting the top member of the award jury today? I was a bit shocked and wondered what other people think...especially you writers out there. I'll quote a bit of it in case you missed it:

" Of course there is powerful literature in all big cultures, but you can't get away from the fact that Europe still is the center of the literary world...not the United States," (Secretary Horace) Engdahl said in an interview yesterday."

"Speaking generally about American literature, however he said that U.S. writers are 'too sensitive to trends in their own mass culture,' dragging down the quality of their work."

"The U.S. is too isolated, too insular. They don't translate enough and don't really participate in the big dialogue of literature," Engdahl said. "That ignorance is restraining."

I guess that means no American author is going to win this year, eh? Still, I find it hard to believe that this guy could make such sweeping statements about American Literature today. I'm willing to admit that a lot of our best selling books could hardly be described as Nobel Prize material, but come on! IMO there are some truly great American authors writing today. Maybe something got lost in translation?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: Nobel Prize Article

Postby LauraK on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:12 am

"Hey, Horace! Bite my ignorant, restraining ass!"
*Pompous butthead...*

Perhaps those are sour grapes over the fact that an American did win or was right in the running....

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Re: Nobel Prize Article

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:31 pm

I hope you're right LK. It's stuff like this that makes me wonder how much the United States has fallen in the eyes of the rest of the world. I wonder if he just plain hates us and has decided to dismiss us in the only way he can. I think he's as wrong as he can be.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Return to Novels