Rant

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Rant

Postby doodoobird on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:03 am

Has anyone read RANT by CHUCK PALAHNIUK?
I've had it for awhile but have not gotten around to reading it yet. Is it any good? Worth reading? I've skimmed it a bit and I dont think I will like it. These days, I just dont got the time to read crap. Anyway, I will appreciate a little book review if anyone has read it.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Re: Rant

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:16 am

I'm not a huge fan...I liked Diary, but tried to read a couple of others and couldn't get past the first 30 pages or so. I do know that the people who love him, reeeally love him. I think it comes down to a matter of taste and he's just not my cup o' tea. Sorry.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby James on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:00 pm

I'll stick my head out there and say
that I liked Rant. Turned me into
a Palahniuk fan. The story is hard
to stick with but comes together in
a very sick way in the end. Ah,
Buster Casey, I'm just glad he's a
literary figure. I want to write about
the book, but forcing myself to stop.
Read it for sure. If you don't like it,
take no more advice from me.
James

Postby doodoobird on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:58 pm

I am a huge Palahniuk fan. I cant believe I neglected to mention him in the fav authors thread. Anyway, I just think the style its written in will get old really fast. Its by no means a traditional novel. Its like a bunch of short paragraph long witness accounts that progress the main story. Sounds interesting but I dont know if it will hold me.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby Mr._Hex on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:54 pm

I have trouble getting into Palahniuk's work... it all feels so pretentious and full of itself. Rant looks interesting, though.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

Postby Janice on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:01 pm

After Diary it just became really obvious to me (and I honestly don't know why it took me that long) that all Chuck's books have the same theme and the same style and I wind up with an annoying sense of deja vu (e.g. haven't I read this brand new book before...?). I thought Rant would be different, hoped that the change in format would bring some kind of evolution in his work, but I was sadly disappointed.

Rant sucked. I hope that one of these days he gets past his current crop of issues and starts beating a slightly less dead horse, but just the same I won't be reading any more of his books.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Oh crap Janice, I just bought one of his books to read. Not sure which one, but it's there in my TBR pile.
Dana_Jean

Postby Janice on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:22 pm

It should be fine, as long as you don't go on a Palahniuk binge and attempt to read them all. :wink:
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:19 pm

Whew!

Note to self: No Pahalahlhohiikkk binging.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:03 pm

I agree...Diary was the only one I liked.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:12 pm

Well...I have to disagree with my last statement...at least so far. I'm about halfway through RANT and I'm actually enjoying it in a sick sorta way. I'll let you know what I ultimately think of it when I finish it.

Betsy_Boo

Postby dragynlady on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:21 pm

I actually really liked this book, but I am a fan. I enjoyed the way the story came together in a sort of jigsaw kind of way. I would have moments reading something that would illuminate something from earlier in the book and it would be such an "ah ha" moment. Palahniuk definatley is a love him or hate him kind of author. Diary, Rant, Invisible Monsters, and Lullaby were all favs. I bought Snuff, but couldn't get throuhg the first few pages - the subject matter is the kind that makes me cringe and want to cross my legs permenantly. I thought that might upset my better half so I have accepted that it will remain an unread book in my library.
dragynlady

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:37 pm

I guess I have to revise my earlier statement...I really liked RANT. I guess Chuck P. is a kind of hit or miss for me. Thanks for the heads up about SNUFF...I'm not a fan of sicko sex stuff in my books. But Buster Casey? He reminded me of my brother, on a larger scale of course. That thing with the Halloween party? That's something my brother would've done if he'd thought he could get away with it!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Francesca on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 am

Well I guess...I have a date with Chuck Palahniuk next month.
He has a new book out. Tell All.

"There is something I see in you. It might kill me. I want it to be true."
Francesca

Postby Romeo_Haight on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:44 am

Francesca wrote:Well I guess...I have a date with Chuck Palahniuk next month.
He has a new book out. Tell All.

i'll have it the day it comes out. been a palahniuk fan since 1999. if i could make it through pygmy i can get through anything
we're from america. we're from america. we turn literature into litter.
we're from america. we're from america. we believe in being a quitter.

Romeo_Haight

Return to Novels