Reading novels more than once.

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Reading novels more than once.

Postby Happy_Go_Lucky on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:16 pm

I've never been one to do that. I actually can't do it. Even if I absolutely adore a book, I can't go back and ride it again when I know where all the loops and curves are.
Anybody here feel the same? Different?
Happy_Go_Lucky

Postby This_Girl on Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am

I have read "Catcher in the Rye" a minimum of 10 times. I fear I must be a crazy since it seems as though crazy people are often found with multiple copies of that book....hmmm. This book in particular, I just really like the story and can read it again and again similar to viewing a movie more than once.

Another I have read more than once is "She's Come Undone". Same thing, it was a good story and the readings had quite a few years in between and there was plenty I had forgotten of the story.

I would like to read Dark Tower again, Gunslinger - Dark Tower, I think it may be interesting to follow the beam knowing ahead of time how things may pan out.

I can totally see why others would not touch a book once it was completed, but I personally enjoy reading things again.
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:35 am

Gosh...I used to read certain books over and over. I've read all of SK's books at the minimum of 2 times...some over 10. I've read some of John Irving's works several times...especially "A Prayer For Owen Meany" which I absolutely ADORE. "To Kill a Mockingbird" is another...probably 5 or 6 times. But I have noticed that in the past couple of years I really haven't re-read much and I'm not really sure why. If I had to guess, it's because as I get older I'm starting to feel like time is running out and there are sooooo many books I want to read and I'm never going to get to them all. My "to-read" pile just keeps growing and growing...
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:00 pm

I've read The Talisman so many times....it's the only hardcover I've almost worn out just from all the use!

I like re-reads....you always catch something you didn't before.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby KingoftheHill on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:29 am

I used to think that re-reading a book was pointless--because you knew the end.

But, now I know it's like a movie. You never remember all the details the first time through.

I've read the Dark Tower books twice and will read them again. I will read 20CG again too!!!

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:57 am

You know, speaking of reading a book to tatters, I have a first edition of The Stand, which is not in bad shape, considering how many times I've read it. The problem is, the book jacket fell apart and I don't know what happened to the pieces. I looked into getting another book jacket for it, but was told it wasn't possible. Does anyone know if it's true...that you can't get new jackets for books?

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:26 pm

Betsy Boo wrote:You know, speaking of reading a book to tatters, I have a first edition of The Stand, which is not in bad shape, considering how many times I've read it. The problem is, the book jacket fell apart and I don't know what happened to the pieces. I looked into getting another book jacket for it, but was told it wasn't possible. Does anyone know if it's true...that you can't get new jackets for books?

Betsy, I think you can get book jackets for books. I've been sent things to order them, but not sure what company that was? Cemetery Dance perhaps?
Dana_Jean

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Actually, I think it was amailing from Lilja's Library that was offering jackets for sale. Contact him at his website, I'm sure he'll be able to steer you in the right direction.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Dana Jean wrote:Actually, I think it was amailing from Lilja's Library that was offering jackets for sale. Contact him at his website, I'm sure he'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

Thanks DJ...You're a peach! I'll look into it. :D

Betsy_Boo

Postby sybil on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:44 pm

absolutely!! i've read all of king's but "danse macabre" at least 2 times...read the DT series 3 times, and listened to them twice. i've read IT and the stand over a dozen times, and no count on talisman...it's so good.

i've read all the HP books at least 3 times, and i'm on my 3rd re-listen to them.

you always catch things that you didn't catch the first time, and especially with DT and HP being such long, confoluted series, it's especially great to reread. things in the early books make so much more sense and you get a LOT of "aha!" moments.

try it, really!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby BentheWriter on Tue May 13, 2008 10:59 pm

While I rarely read a book more than once (exception being On Writing, which I have read probably over twenty times), I find it extremely enjoyable to pick up a book I have read before and flip through it, reading random sections, moving from beginning to end, so that I can visit the characters again, hear the voice again, and jog my memory as to why I loved them all so much. It doesn't take nearly so long as to reread it in its entirety, but gives you a chance to relive the experience.
BentheWriter

Postby bluerosekiller on Tue May 13, 2008 11:06 pm

Although I'm a voracious reader, with a ridiculously long list of favorite novels that I absolutely adore, I've actually only re-read a VERY select, small number of books in my life. Among this elite group are 'SALEM'S LOT, T.E.D. Klein's THE CEREMONIES, GHOST STORY & only a handful of others.

I'd do so much more often were my reading rate remotely as fast as I'd like it to be, but unfortunately, it's on the mediocre side IMO & my stacks of TBR books just keep getting larger & larger all the time! :shock: So, it takes something extraordinary for me to go back & read it again as opposed to something that I haven't. Know what I mean?
I LIVE IN THE WEAK & THE WOUNDED
bluerosekiller

Postby LauraK on Wed May 14, 2008 4:24 am

Hey Betsy- why not hit some used bookstores? You might find a 1'st ed and get an original dj rather than a reprint. My library offers used books for sale and I've gotten some great deals....I found 1'st and 2'nd ed Grant DT's!!! :o

LK

LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed May 14, 2008 8:20 am

LauraK wrote:Hey Betsy- why not hit some used bookstores? You might find a 1'st ed and get an original dj rather than a reprint. My library offers used books for sale and I've gotten some great deals....I found 1'st and 2'nd ed Grant DT's!!! :o

LK

Thanks LK...I've actually been looking on-line at some used copies of TS and I think I'm going to buy one just so I can get the cover for the one I have. I suppose that sounds a little silly, but the copy I have has a lot of sentimental value and I want to protect it.

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Wed May 14, 2008 10:02 am

I don't think it's silly at all. I've bought a used copy of Needful Things when I loaned mine out and the cover was lost...grrrrrr.....

I should do the same for my Talisman...it's in baaad shape. :)

LK

LauraK

Next

Return to Novels