Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Postby andy546 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Anyone read these creepy children's book series by Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammel? The drawings and stories were excellent and I remember that this was the first ever book that both scared the crap out of me and started my life-long fascination with horror.
andy546

Re: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:37 pm

Hey andy! Welcome! I never read those books but the name Alvin Schwartz sounded familiar so I looked him up. He wrote a children's book that I got for my daughters many years ago called "In a Dark, Dark Room". They really thought it was scary, especially the one called "The Teeth" (what is it about teeth that is soooo creepy?).
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Postby prncsspwr on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:39 am

andy546 wrote:Anyone read these creepy children's book series by Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammel? The drawings and stories were excellent and I remember that this was the first ever book that both scared the crap out of me and started my life-long fascination with horror.

I read these in elementary school. I just remember that a lot of the stories were playing off of urban legends (stranger calling from upstairs, etc.) and that the first book always seemed to randomly open to a drawing of a female corpse with no eyes. VERY creepy to a ten year old! I have the box set somewhere.
prncsspwr

Return to Novels