Signed Copies of Books...etc.

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Signed Copies of Books...etc.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:59 pm

I have a general question...which are the most reputable companies to order signed copies of books? I'm on the look out for a signed Harlan Ellison, preferably Shatterday, but I will take anything as long as it is in good shape and has an authentic signature. I prefer to get my signed copies through bookstores who are hosting an event with the author, but as much as I've searched I can't find a current calendar. His "official" website hasn't been updated in 2 years. I'm really scared I'm going to get stuck with a fake signature, having spent a butt-load of money, so any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :D
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: Signed Copies of Books...etc.

Postby LauraK on Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Hmmm, well, I found this through a HE Bulletin Board: it said you could buy personalized stuff but it appeasr they have just 1 copy of Shatterday and it's not signed. Plus, this is prolly from the site that hasn't been updated, eh?

http://harlanellison.com/herc.htm

Here's one that claims it's a signed copy...maybe ask the seller for a pic of the sig and compare it to a known?

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=9533937532&isbn=9780395285879&qsort=&page=1

I've seen lots of SK forgeries and they're usually pretty obvious...

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:32 am

I saw the one on the HE site...that's the site that hasn't been updated in a while. I may take a chance on the Alibris one. I'll contact the seller and see if he'll send me a photo of the signature and then try to hunt down a comparison. Thanks LK!! :D

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:20 pm

No problem, Betsy. I hope it's genuine...the price is pretty good. :)

What's Mr. Ellison's view on signing books that are sent to him? (I bet he doesn't do it....but, has he gone on record?)

LauraK

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Hey, UNDER THE DOME ---SIGNED/LIMITED . iTS NOT on the website yet, but it will be. SOON, as in, it was suppose to be on the simon and schuster website last weekend. SO, if interested. here is the link.

http://www.simonandschuster.com/search?sort=on_sale_date&term=under+the+dome

Look for the Signed/limited, should be around $200(rumored)--which is a very good deal for a S/L.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:45 am

NOW, Im just waiting patiently for a oppurtunity to jump out of this little dark corner just long enough to snatch a signed copy of HORNS...oh, the wait, the wait, its like a snail....opps, just swallowed a bug.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby LauraK on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:06 am

And if you can't afford that and are nearby...he's going to be doing a book-signing tour for UtD in Nov and early Dec. Depending on how the tix are going to be sold/distributed, some friends and I may hike it over to Toronto. :)

November 10 - NYC (this event is already sold out)
November 11 - still being decided whether D.C. or Baltimore
November 13 - Atlanta (yes, we know it's a Friday )
November 16 - Sarasota
November 18 - Minneapolis
November 19 - Toronto
December 1 - Portsmouth, NH
December 2 - Manchester, VT

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12428

LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:35 am

LauraK wrote:No problem, Betsy. I hope it's genuine...the price is pretty good. :)

What's Mr. Ellison's view on signing books that are sent to him? (I bet he doesn't do it....but, has he gone on record?)

I honestly don't know, but I'd never dare ask. The man is a brilliant writer but he has a very...hmm...let's say quirky personality. He doesn't suffer fools gladly (I recently saw the documentary "Dreams With Sharp Teeth") and I wouldn't have the nerve to ask, even if I knew how to get in touch with him. But I really appreciate the help you have given me on this. At the least, I have a good starting point to hunt down what I'm looking for.

And thanks Mark! Don't know if I can justify shelling out even the reasonable sum of $200 for a signed SK, but it's nice to know I have the option!

Betsy_Boo

Return to Novels