Snoozer!

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Snoozer!

Postby Snooky on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:01 pm

Hi All,

Last time I checked in, I was in depression over missing the characters in Duma Key. (I sure hope others share that depression after a good book, otherwise, therapy may in order). Anyhoo, I took up a suggestion from Joe's message board regarding another Bram Stoker winner...Sarah Langan.

When I got to the store, she had two books on the rack. :The Keeper" and "The Missing" (she won the award for the later). I bought them both. Maybe I screwed up royally because I read "The Keeper" first. Yes, I'm anal that way... to read things in order. What a snoozer! Slow start, barely interesting characters, rather boring setting with a supposed sinister past (NOT!) and worse, it was soooo predictable! Now, with that said, Sarah does have a writing style I like and I think there's potential for better books.

I'm hoping so, 'cause I got this other book sittin' on my shelf waiting for the spine to be cracked and I find I'm dreading it because the first one was....well "eh". I need a shove to open this book even though it won the Bram Stoker award. Has anyone read it yet? Without spoiling; was it any good? Help me, help myself.

I hate to be hard on Sarah. I'd make a rotten critic. No other authors give me my "fix" like Stephen King and recently, Joe Hill. When I read thier work; it's almost like a drug. I'm comfortable in the weirdness and I laugh at the macabre. I can accept a pink van that floats down the streets of suburbia shooting up all the residents and I can accept inflatable best friends and I can love lobstrosities. Why O why can't I get into other authors?!?
~If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a terrible warning.~
Snooky

Postby sybil on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:22 pm

can't help you on that book snooky - sorry!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:24 pm

I picked up her books, read some of the second one(just some of it). I thought that it was ok....
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Snooky on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:45 pm

demorganakamark wrote:I picked up her books, read some of the second one(just some of it). I thought that it was ok....

Why only some of it? I'm leary already. :( I like it when they grab you right off the bat. Hopefully someone will chime in with a good review.
~If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a terrible warning.~
Snooky

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:17 pm

Oh, thats because i have to write my dissertation...lol, and my time is limited...
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:09 am

Snooky wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:I picked up her books, read some of the second one(just some of it). I thought that it was ok....

Why only some of it? I'm leary already. :( I like it when they grab you right off the bat. Hopefully someone will chime in with a good review.

Well Snooky...I didn't read her first one but I did read "The Missing". I thought it was pretty good...she is a bit slower than SK or Joe, but it kept my interest. Once upon a time I used to force myself to finish a book once I started it, but time grows short. If it doesn't engage me by the 3rd chapter I chuck it. I liked "The Missing" but you just can't compare it to our guys. I guess it's a matter of lowering your expectations a bit.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Snooky on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:54 am

Thanks Betsy!
Snooky

Re: Snoozer!

Postby Snooky on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:50 pm

*May or may not spoil* I stand corrected. I finished "The Missing" last night. I thought is was a good book. Although, I felt there were some details absent, overall I liked reading it. My kid kept asking what was going on and I never had an answer because there was no clear answer. No hero or heroine rose to the occation and won the battle. Just the struggle that went on(and maybe still going on). With no winner, the story left you with an ominous feeling. I can only hope she'll give some sort of an ending. A few other installments? YES! I'd like to know how it all turns out. I'll buy the next one for that closure; if it ever happens.

However, I did enjoy the dynamic that "was" the Wintrob family. I liked these poeple, they were normal yet fucked up, as we all are. Something better could have come from them if 50% werrn't dead (sort of) by the end. Anyhoo, there you have it. Worth the read. My grade: B+
Snooky

Re: Snoozer!

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:01 am

That's pretty much how I felt, Snooky. I would read more of her books as well, especially in this story-line. She does manage to exude a definite creepiness, but as I said before she is a bit slower paced. Not necessarily someone you'd stay up til 3 am to finish...like my favs.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Return to Novels