The Dead Zone

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

The Dead Zone

Postby Mr._Hex on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:04 pm

I finished it just a few hours ago. Nobody can stand up to Stephen King at his best, and this is definitely one of his best. Johnny Smith is a fantastic, and genuinely tragic, character that King seamlessly brings to life. The symbolism in the book was fairly heavy-handed, but that's to be expected from a Stephen King book. I wasn't crazy about the political subtext, but there really wasn't enough of it to distract me from the story. All in all, if you haven't read The Dead Zone, I suggest you pick it up and give it a read.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:06 pm

I've never read The Dead Zone. I have it to read, but just haven't gotten to it. Thanks for the review Mr. Hex.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:58 am

You should try the movie next. It's one of the better adaptations and you can't beat Christopher Walken. :) There are changes, of course, but it's very well done.

Then there's the tv series which I watched for the first 2 seasons- it was great. Not sure why we let it slide by the wayside.....I know I can always get the DVDs.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:33 am

LauraK wrote:You should try the movie next. It's one of the better adaptations and you can't beat Christopher Walken. :) There are changes, of course, but it's very well done.

Then there's the tv series which I watched for the first 2 seasons- it was great. Not sure why we let it slide by the wayside.....I know I can always get the DVDs.

LK

I totally agree, LK. The Dead Zone is my fav SK and I always thought the movie adaptation was the best, although the film of The Green Mile is a close second. I tried to watch the tv show the first season but I found I didn't really like what's his name's interpretation of Johnny's personality much. Christopher Walken was right on the mark.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby miamiheat on Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:31 pm

Betsy Boo wrote:
LauraK wrote:You should try the movie next. It's one of the better adaptations and you can't beat Christopher Walken. :) There are changes, of course, but it's very well done.

LK

I totally agree, LK. The Dead Zone is my fav SK and I always thought the movie adaptation was the best, although the film of The Green Mile is a close second. I tried to watch the tv show the first season but I found I didn't really like what's his name's interpretation of Johnny's personality much. Christopher Walken was right on the mark.

Yes, and the movie has the extra +plus+ of being directed by David Cronenberg!
"In the end, people usually get a bit more of what they want than they can really handle, don't they?" - Joe Hill
miamiheat

Postby LauraK on Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:44 pm

There ya go! :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby KingoftheHill on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:11 pm

This was my first King novel ever--I read it over 20 years ago. I think I'll have to re-read it some day. The opening chapter was what hooked me in, if I recall. :)

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Happy_Go_Lucky on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:17 pm

This was the second King novel for me, after Carrie, and I was completely blown away. I'm not much of a speed-reader, but I was for this little jewel.
Happy_Go_Lucky

Return to Novels