The "Fictional" Soapbox

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

The "Fictional" Soapbox

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:24 am

On GoodReads this morning I stumbled across a review by one of the members where she talks about finding out that certain authors take offensive stands, politically speaking. She pointed me to an article where Orson Scott Card advocates over-throwing the Government if same-sex marriage is made legal. She also posted a link to an article about Michael Crichton:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/002156.php

Apparently Crichton took issue with a New Republic article that was critical of his "global warming doesn't exist" stance (State of Fear) and rather than respond in a letter to the editor he made the writer of the article a particularly nasty character (a pedophile) in his book Next.

Now I'm not advocating censorship, but both of these authors just went too far. I'm one of those who firmly believes in "I may not agree with what you said, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." I personally agreed with the poster that I will not put another dime in either one of these guys bank accounts (yes, I know MC passed on, but someone will still be collecting his royalty checks). But I find the whole thing upsetting. Does anyone have a comment?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: The "Fictional" Soapbox

Postby Starchild on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:19 pm

I haven't read Orson Scott Card, but I've heard of him. His name keeps popping up for some reason. I think he writes science fiction. It's not really my thing.
Starchild

Re: The "Fictional" Soapbox

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:12 pm

I had him on my TR list until I read that about him.
BTW, welcome Starchild!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Return to Novels