What Are You Reading Now?

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Postby Romeo_Haight on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:24 pm

next week i should be reading tell-all by chuck palahniuk.
at a whopping 172 pages i'm sure i'll be done with it in an afternoon.
wack.
we're from america. we're from america. we turn literature into litter.
we're from america. we're from america. we believe in being a quitter.

Romeo_Haight

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:11 am

Romeo_Haight wrote:next week i should be reading tell-all by chuck palahniuk.
at a whopping 172 pages i'm sure i'll be done with it in an afternoon.
wack.

Sounds like you could read that one in the bookstore with a cup of coffee.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby jennampitman on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:18 am

I'm reading my friend's new novel Black Blade Blues. It's his first novel and it just came out on Tuesday. It's urban fantasy which usually isn't my thing but this one is strong on the fantasy so I like that much.
Death is a disability, not a superpower. ~ Simon Pegg
Yes, tell us your story. But it had BETTER have a beginning, a middle, and an ending and you had BETTER make us root for the protagonist! ~ Homer Simpson
jennampitman

Postby Melissa on Tue May 04, 2010 7:49 am

Ok, I'm so annoyed right now that I actually just put down a SK "book" and probably won't finish it.

Got "UR" for my "kindle for PC" that I downloaded to pass the time at work....it's all just a giant ad for Kindle...ridiculous. I thought maybe after the first couple of references making it sound like an ad, it would actually turn into a good story, but so far, it's still a big ad. I probably won't even finish it. And I paid for this...an ad. Moving on to my 99 cent copy of 20thCG instead. At least I KNOW I got a great deal there!!
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Melissa on Tue May 04, 2010 9:09 am

ok, ok, I stopped whining and finished the story...still rather disappointed, but was surprised
SPOILER
to see the low men at the end. Guess I missed the reference to the tower in the beginning.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Romeo_Haight on Tue May 04, 2010 11:36 am

i can't wait until the future when i can tell my grandkids about books that didn't run out of batteries.

Romeo_Haight

Postby Melissa on Tue May 04, 2010 3:30 pm

I won't get a regular kindle, it's real books for me any other time, but Kindle PC was free and I can get away with that much easier than sitting at my desk with a book :)
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed May 05, 2010 5:47 pm

I finished THE NEW DEAD and now I'm reading DROOD by Dan Simmons. It's starting out GREAT!!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Romeo_Haight on Thu May 06, 2010 5:30 pm

i'm reading tell-all by chuck palahniuk.
next up is imperial bedrooms by bret easton ellis.

Romeo_Haight

Postby Melissa on Fri May 07, 2010 7:19 am

well I finalllllly finished The Great and Secret Show. All I can say is I don't get it. I mean, I get the story, and I can't say that I didn't like it. I just was left, through the whole book, with the feeling of .....something...the only way to describe it is - I don't get it. Maybe it's just because it was too much fantasy for me? Anyway, that brings up the problem of choosing my next book. I was going to pick from either Talisman or What Dreams May Come, but I don't know if I can jump into another fantasy, which isn't really my thing.

I've had Black House FOREVER, and couldn't get into it, and finally figured it out that I needed to read The Talisman first. The only other SK books I haven't read are Eyes of the Dragon and ALL the Dark Tower series. I've tried. I can't. So I don't know if The Talisman will work for me either. Plus, I bought the book used and when it came in the mail it REEKS of cigarette smoke.

Maybe I'll just pick up a James Patterson or something....a little murder and Alex Cross may settle my mind a bit!

Oh the dilemma.....
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby foxslady on Fri May 07, 2010 7:36 am

Talisman was one of my favorite books, I had to reread it before I could get into Black house, it's worth the read.

I'm reading Total Control by David Baldacci

Barb
wrinkles are left over smiles
foxslady

Postby Romeo_Haight on Fri May 07, 2010 10:52 am

Melissa wrote:well I finalllllly finished The Great and Secret Show. All I can say is I don't get it. I mean, I get the story, and I can't say that I didn't like it. I just was left, through the whole book, with the feeling of .....something...the only way to describe it is - I don't get it. Maybe it's just because it was too much fantasy for me? Anyway, that brings up the problem of choosing my next book. I was going to pick from either Talisman or What Dreams May Come, but I don't know if I can jump into another fantasy, which isn't really my thing.

you can always read "everville" thats the sequel to "the great und secret show"
there were supposed to be three books of the art but so far clive barker has only released two. the last one was when i was in high school.
supposedly he says he'll do the third one some day. i quit holding my breath a while ago considering he's been teasing me with the third Abarat book and the scarlet gospels for YEAAAAARS.

Romeo_Haight

Postby Romeo_Haight on Fri May 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Romeo_Haight wrote:i'm reading tell-all by chuck palahniuk.

i tried to take my time but i finished it at about 1:30 pm. i feel a little ripped off over the price for what i consider a novella.

Romeo_Haight

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri May 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Romeo_Haight wrote:
Romeo_Haight wrote:i'm reading tell-all by chuck palahniuk.

i tried to take my time but i finished it at about 1:30 pm. i feel a little ripped off over the price for what i consider a novella.

What was the price?
BTW, I went to his website and he has a book called Damned coming out next year that sounds pretty good. It's about a little girl who dies and goes to hell. Yikes!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Melissa on Sat May 08, 2010 6:20 am

Romeo_Haight wrote:
Melissa wrote:well I finalllllly finished The Great and Secret Show. All I can say is I don't get it. I mean, I get the story, and I can't say that I didn't like it. I just was left, through the whole book, with the feeling of .....something...the only way to describe it is - I don't get it. Maybe it's just because it was too much fantasy for me? Anyway, that brings up the problem of choosing my next book. I was going to pick from either Talisman or What Dreams May Come, but I don't know if I can jump into another fantasy, which isn't really my thing.

you can always read "everville" thats the sequel to "the great und secret show"
there were supposed to be three books of the art but so far clive barker has only released two. the last one was when i was in high school.
supposedly he says he'll do the third one some day. i quit holding my breath a while ago considering he's been teasing me with the third Abarat book and the scarlet gospels for YEAAAAARS.

oh, I'm DEFINITELY not up for Everville...I've had all of The Art I can take right now. Especially if the story isn't finished. I've settled on the Talisman. I have friends who are on opposite sides of SK books. He reads only the Dark Tower stuff, she reads only the scary stuff. She said I'll like it...so I'm going for it :)
Stephen King
Melissa

PreviousNext

Return to Novels