Which novels are your favorites?

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Postby LauraK on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:59 pm

Talisman is my most re-read book of any I've ever read. I believe I've read that they both want to do a third and so I have my fingers crossed that it will happen.

You know they're making it into a 6 hr. miniseries on TNT? I hope they do it justice.....
the casting of Jack, Wolf and Sloat will be interesting. I've always 'seen' Michael Ironside as Morgan Sloat/of Orris in my head but he may be a bit too old now.

LK
Last edited by LauraK on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby bluerosekiller on Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:00 pm

Some of my all time favorites INPO are:

THE CEREMONIES by T.E.D. Klein

SUMMER OF NIGHT by Dan Simmons

'SALEM'S LOT

THE THROAT by Peter Straub

DARK HOLLOW by John Connolly

THE STRAW MEN trilogy by Michael Marshall Smith

The WHITE trilogy by Ken Bruen

HAUNTED by James Herbert

THE KEEP by F. Paul Wilson

BLOOD IS THE SKY by Steve Hamilton

BLACK FLY SEASON by Giles Blunt
I LIVE IN THE WEAK & THE WOUNDED
bluerosekiller

Postby sybil on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:44 pm

i revisit the territories a LOT. wolf, right here and now!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Malkia on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:43 pm

hmmmm...has to be The Talisman and Lonesome Dove. I've reread alot of The Kings books. All the Gunslingers a few times. I'm ready the reread HSB already..lol
Malkia

Postby sybil on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:44 pm

yeah, malkia...it won't be long before i reread that one, too. my first read of a book (especially this one) is strictly for me reading enjoyment, emotionally. after the first, i take a little more time and try to see things i passed over in my initial excitement.
janis the joeker
sybil

books

Postby mylife4usk on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:42 pm

I haven't seen anyone mention Jack Ketchum here yet.

The first book I read by him was The Girl Next Door., it was a very violent piece, definitely more horrific than some of the other stuff I was used to reading so I kind of wondered why I continued to read him. You know how when you're driving up to the scene of an accident all the while muttering under your breath at the other drivers for rubbernecking and tying up traffic, but yet you can't help but take a quick peek over as you drive by? Yea, for me Ketchum's like that. :twisted:

His others I've read thus far: The Lost, Off Season, Offspring, Red, Only Child, Cover and The Crossings.

Check him out., if you dare.... muhahahaha.
Joe Hill's, uh...#1 fan, CJ

"If I'm in a buttload of pain, I need a buttload of pills."
Gregory House, Finding Judas episode
mylife4usk

Postby sybil on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:39 am

i thought we'd discussed ketchum, but i could be thinking of another board. pretty much everyone feels that way about ketchum, i think, and especially the girl next door. it was so horrible!

richard laymon is like that, i think. worse sometimes. a couple i remember were pretty splatterpunk. i'd rather have horror/suspense than gratuitous gore.
janis the joeker
sybil

Favorite Book

Postby miz.katie on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:28 pm

The Stand. Absolutely LOVE it. Have read it so many times. It feels like a old friend. Still can bring me to tears to lose Nick and the rest over and over again. And LOVE the mini-series. Have it too.
miz.katie

Postby Narda on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:49 am

IT, The Stand, The Talisman, and the DT series are all books I've read over and over.

Dean Koontz's Watchers and Strangers are both books I've reread several times.

Robert McCammon's Wolf's Hour, Swan Song, and Boy's Life have been rereads of mine too.
the little men who live behind my eyes... and scream directly at my brain... told me to tell you hello.
Narda

Postby mark_james on Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:21 pm

It's very hard to pick a favorite novel of all time. I think my favorite changes as I get older, and appreciate the themes of books I read when I was younger. So, I've narrowed it down to five, in no particular order:

Peter Pan, the original by J M Barrie - because Never Never Land is always with us

The Talisman - because the Territories are a grown up Never Never Land

Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein - because those things sticking to your back was the first book to scare me when I was younger

Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger - because I still don't know where the ducks in Central Park go in the Winter

I, Robot by Asimov - because it was my first sci fi book, and I've never lost that sense of wonder Asimov created in me
mark_james

Postby Mike_Lowrie on Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:07 am

I really like Red Dragon by Thomas Harris and Dark Tower 2.
No Comment!
Mike_Lowrie

Postby Paddedcell on Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:44 am

Mike Lowrie wrote:Best Mystery/Thriller for me has to be RED DRAGON by Thomas Harris.

I like this one a lot too. I think it's better than The Silence of the Lambs.
Paddedcell

Postby Paddedcell on Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:47 am

Patrick wrote:The Talisman is one of my favorites.... I hope King and Straub get around to writing a third Jack Sawyer book someday.

I think this one is already in the planning stages.

Straub could probably continue the series even without King actually. I'm sure he'd prefer to collaborate, though, in part because he likes being able to use King's Dark Tower mythology.
Paddedcell

Postby Paddedcell on Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:51 am

Mike Lowrie wrote:I read American Gods by Neil Gaiman and just could not get into it at all. Some parts were cool but it never really took off in my opinion....

I liked American Gods, but it's not one of my favorites. (I was a little surprised when it won a Stoker Award.)

I think Neverwhere and Stardust are a lot more fun.
Paddedcell

Re: books

Postby Paddedcell on Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:05 am

mylife4usk wrote:I haven't seen anyone mention Jack Ketchum here yet.

The first book I read by him was The Girl Next Door., it was a very violent piece, definitely more horrific than some of the other stuff I was used to reading...

I don't think it's as violent as it seems. I think movies like "Goodfellas" contain much more violence. But Kethum's book is much more horrific because nearly all of the violence is perpetrated against a teenage girl. It's the same victim over and over.

And the violence is often perpetrated or supervised by a woman, one who is supposed to be a sort of mother-figure.

Also, although the abuse takes place over an extremely long period (many weeks), no one on the outside even has a clue that it's happening.
Paddedcell

PreviousNext

Return to Novels