Which novels are your favorites?

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Which novels are your favorites?

Postby Mike_Lowrie on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:26 am

Since I am a huge fan of the Dark Tower books of course my favorite will come from the series. Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three just spoke to me and made me a die hard King fan eager to read each and every one of his works. Running a close second is Salem's Lot which to me is a far more superior vampire novel than most ever written.
Last edited by Mike_Lowrie on Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No Comment!
Mike_Lowrie

Postby Nerak on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:58 am

The Talisman..my first and always my favorite...can't wait to see how bad the butcher it in the movies....
Nerak

Postby aaron2010 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:20 am

The Stand is, by far, my favorite. I've read it at least 3 times. Sometimes I'll just pick it up and read a few chapters here and there if I don't have anything else going.

Re: Which Stephen King novel is your favorite?

Postby Imogene on Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:06 pm

Mike Lowrie wrote:Since I am a huge fan of the Dark Tower books of course my favorite will come from the series. Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three just spoke to me and made me a die hard King fan eager to read each and every one of his works. Running a close second is Salem's Lot which to me is a far more superior vampire novel than most ever written.

http://www.darktower.net
Imogene

Postby Mike_Lowrie on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:26 pm

Why the STAND aaron? People always like that book the best out of all his works. I have read it once and thought it was pretty good but not my favorite by far. To each his own, just wondering though?
No Comment!
Mike_Lowrie

Postby aaron2010 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:15 am

The depth of the characters and the scenery. It's epic. I don't get the same thing out of a 400 pager.

Postby val04463 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:14 am

Nerak wrote:The Talisman..my first and always my favorite...can't wait to see how bad the butcher it in the movies....

Hear! Hear!....I lost my Mother to cancer when she was only 62..I was 42...10 years ago..I read it before, during and after she died and still consider it my link to her and all things wonderful..It is such an amazing testimony to Love..on ALL levels..and hope and fun. I am not a religious person, perhaps even Atheist..but I believe in other worlds...I
val04463

Actually a bigger fan of the short stories

Postby cerebus1 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:38 am

So, aside from Misery, Green Mile and hopefully the June 12th Blaze....

I really enjoyed

All That You Love Will Be Carried Away (which can be found in the collection-Everythings Eventual)

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
cerebus1

Postby sybil on Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:38 pm

whichever one i'm reading at the time is my favorite.

i love the stand for the reasons aaron said, and DT2 is my favorite tower book. the talisman is SO great. i have lost track of how many times i've read IT and the stand, and well....all of them.
sybil

Postby suthrnbelle63 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:38 am

My first SK book, Christine, will always be my fav. I was an early teen and it scared the crap out of me, but I couldn't put it down. That was my first novel to keep me so interested. Got in trouble from my parents because I read so late at night and had a hard time getting up for school!
M.
suthrnbelle63

Postby Arista on Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:25 pm

I absolutely loved the novel "IT"..Just really enjoyed the development of the characters and the friendships. I have never liked clowns and this one just confirmed it. Plus, I also look out for Sewer Drains. There are so many favorites, it is difficult to choose just one.
Arista

Postby sybil on Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:44 pm

my kitchen sink was gurgling this morning. does it from time to time and freaks me out.
sybil

Postby eric_curry on Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:26 pm

It's hard to pick a favorite because the man is so versatile(far more so than he is ever given credit for)but if I had to pick personal favorites--with a stress on 'personal'--it'd be a tie between The Dead Zone and Firestarter. If I'm not mistaken they were written one after the other and I feel like they fit together. Both books are shorter than most of his work(save Carrie)and less fantastic. The dialogue in both works is exquisite. Both books are really and truly heartbreaking because of the care SK takes in setting up his characters and in both, as in all good tragedies, there is feeling of inevitable doom. Firestarter especially features really insightful writing about children and what it's like to be one and parents and what its like to be one. Someday critical thinking will recognize that within these so called horror novels there's some of the best literary writing of the seventies and eighties. Many of his contempories(John Irving, Philip Roth, Margaret Atwood)have for years been awarded and lauded for writing deeply about growing up, becoming a parent, being a husband or a wife and though these people are all deserving of the praise, in my mind Steve, especially with the brilliant run of books starting with the Shining and ending with Cujo, done just as much great work on the so called Important Subjects. There just happens to be a few monsters(non-human)in there.
peace n happy reading
e
eric_curry

Postby sybil on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:09 pm

well said!
sybil

Postby jwangner on Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Have to pick just one? Can't do it. Love all his works, fiction and non-fiction!
We all float...
jwangner

Next

Return to Novels