Who Can Save Us Now?

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Postby LauraK on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:52 am

Bummer for sure.....I'll still get this though. It sounds good.

Maybe Joe will just have to publish another book of his own short stories....... :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:18 pm

Dana_Jean

Postby Izydor_Ingwar_I. on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:56 am

15th of May? Wha? <looks around carefully if Gerald Butler is not lurking somewhere behind a bush> This is madness!!

I'd be more than happy to take part, BUT! First, there's a s-f&f short story contest organized by the University of Zielona Góra (the city I live in) and it's only 3,500 words to write and it's due 21st of May. Second, as most contests in US, only US citizens are eligible ;). Damn you, American publishers! No wonder you people don't know many authors outside US or UK. It's a damn conspiracy, I tell ya! <shoots his sawn-off shotgun at random directions and pulls up his dungarees>
And as I slit it open
It became clear to me that
Scalpel cuts are not as easy to close
As I'd suspected earlier.
Izydor_Ingwar_I.

Postby sybil on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:20 am

"pulls up his dungarees" - *SNORK!*

i know izy, in this internet age, that hardly seems fair to limit to to US. i'll bet there's some kind of legal crap that dictates that, tho.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Izydor_Ingwar_I. on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:44 pm

So, the University contest being over, time to do the walk of shame and report. I placed second which probably is not the worst result. Anyway all the awarded stories will be published in an anthology, so I guess it's gonna be my first officially published work. Yay, or something ;).
And as I slit it open
It became clear to me that
Scalpel cuts are not as easy to close
As I'd suspected earlier.
Izydor_Ingwar_I.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:53 pm

Izydor Ingwar I. wrote:So, the University contest being over, time to do the walk of shame and report. I placed second which probably is not the worst result. Anyway all the awarded stories will be published in an anthology, so I guess it's gonna be my first officially published work. Yay, or something ;).

"Walk of shame"?! I think congratulations are in order, Izy! Second place is great...I'd be willing to bet alot of people entered that contest and your story must have been pretty darn good. And to be published, too! Ok, so it wasn't first place, but I'd give my left arm to be able to write a story that could win anything. You keep at it and you'll be a famous, best-selling writer before you know it. :D
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:16 am

Wow, Izzy! Don't be modest- second place is pretty fantastic! :D

You'll have to link us up with ordering details once the anthology is ready for release, ok?

Congratulations! 8)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby sybil on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:08 pm

i agree...you should be proud! congratulations!
janis the joeker
sybil

Re: Who Can Save Us Now?

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Did we ever hear who won the contest for the Wii and a story in the ebook version of the book?
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:01 am

I checked Owen's new website last night and there wasn't an announcement. BTW, his new site looks really cool! He has a freakin' Edsel on the home page!! When I saw it my jaw dropped! I've been working on a story about my family's Edsel...about how hugely important it was in my family and all the good memories that surrounded it. When I saw it on Owen's site I was even more impressed. Anyone who likes an Edsel is great in my eyes. Of course, there could've been some darker reasons for using it...after all, for so many years the Edsel was the ultimate joke of the auto industry. At any rate, it does prove that Owen has a really good sense of humor...anyone who loves an Edsel has to. You guys should check out the website...and definitely buy the book. I thought it was great. Owen's story The Meerkat and Kelly Braffet's (I didn't know they were married til I read WCSUN) Bad Karma Girl are worth the price of the whole book...but you also get some other truly great stories, too. That's my pick for best anthology this year!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:35 am

Betsy, his Web site design is great and I looked there first before I posted here. I have the book, I suppose I could go look at it and see if it mentions anything about the contest. Although the person won't be in the actual hardcopy.

I really enjoy Kelly's work, Last Seen Leaving being my favorite as there were more glimpses of subtle humor (to me anyway) in that one. I'm anxious to see new writing from her.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 pm

Dana_Jean wrote:Betsy, his Web site design is great and I looked there first before I posted here. I have the book, I suppose I could go look at it and see if it mentions anything about the contest. Although the person won't be in the actual hardcopy.

I really enjoy Kelly's work, Last Seen Leaving being my favorite as there were more glimpses of subtle humor (to me anyway) in that one. I'm anxious to see new writing from her.

Oh, I definitely have her on my to-read list! "Bad Karma Girl Wins at Bingo" (sorry I left out the whole title before :oops: ) was a wonderful story. I fell in love with the main character, Cass, and in some ways really related to her. I can't really say what I loved best about the story 'cause I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that it was beautifully written and it touched me deeply.

I have to say that the story that surprised me the most was Jennifer Weiner's. I had never read anything of hers because I thought it was chick lit, which I'm not putting down...it's just not what I enjoy reading. But I loved her story in WCSUN...it was called "League of Justice (Philidelphia Division)". I guess that'll teach me to judge a book by it's cover, eh?

Betsy_Boo

Previous

Return to Novels