Zombie Novels

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Postby aaron2010 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:22 am

annmarie, maybe you would like The Serpent and the Rainbow. It's a nonfiction book about the zombi culture in Haiti.

It's written by a Harvard Professor who, as an outsider, discovered many secrets of the Voodoo religion.

I found it a lot more interesting than any fictional book on zombies.

Postby john_cairns on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:26 am

check out the pspublishing site,new zombie novel called 'dead earth: the green dawn' by a couple of new authors that's had some good reviews. maybe my first dip into the zombie novel :shock:
dock-a-loodle-fod
cyril the dyslexic cockerel
john_cairns

Postby annmarie on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:22 pm

aaron2010 wrote:annmarie, maybe you would like The Serpent and the Rainbow. It's a nonfiction book about the zombi culture in Haiti.

It's written by a Harvard Professor who, as an outsider, discovered many secrets of the Voodoo religion.

Thanks aaron!! You know that is a book that I've always wanted to read, but kind of keep forgetting about. I'm off to check half.com right now.
Are you stalking me? Cuz that would be SUPER!
annmarie

Postby Paddedcell on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:05 am

Carrion, by Gary Brandner, is a good zombie book. I also liked Stephen King's Cell.
Paddedcell

Postby KingoftheHill on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:38 pm

Deathbringer by Bryan Smith was good!
KingoftheHill

Postby Paddedcell on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:27 am

aaron2010 wrote:annmarie, maybe you would like The Serpent and the Rainbow. It's a nonfiction book about the zombi culture in Haiti.

It's written by a Harvard Professor

I think the author is Wade Davis, by the way.
Paddedcell

Postby Narda on Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:51 am

aaron2010 wrote:
annmarie, maybe you would like The Serpent and the Rainbow. It's a nonfiction book about the zombi culture in Haiti.

Thanks aaron!! You know that is a book that I've always wanted to read, but kind of keep forgetting about. I'm off to check half.com right now.

Was that where the movie with Bill Pullman came from? I haven't read much in the way of Zombie books. I guess Cell is the closest to one and I agree that it's not really a zombie story.
the little men who live behind my eyes... and scream directly at my brain... told me to tell you hello.
Narda

Postby aaron2010 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:30 am

Yeah, the movie was based on the book. But , of course, the movie takes many liberties with the story.

The Serp&Rainbow book is kind of dry, so I can see why they did.

Postby R.W._Ridley on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:24 pm

Mike Lowrie wrote:Try Bentley Little's The Walking for a creepy take on zombies.

I read this one, too. I liked it. I thought it was an original concept and as you said, creepy.
R.W._Ridley

Postby kate_glasgow on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:06 am

Scott Sigler anyone? He is the quintessential Podcast author and was recently signed to a major deal with Random House to do reworkings of all of his books. "Infected" was just released and is fantastic. It is sort of a zombie/alien/slasher novel full of blood, guts, humor, and these creepy little parasites. Let me know what you think.
Gravity always wins -- Radiohead
kate_glasgow

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:26 am

kate_glasgow wrote:Scott Sigler anyone? He is the quintessential Podcast author and was recently signed to a major deal with Random House to do reworkings of all of his books. "Infected" was just released and is fantastic. It is sort of a zombie/alien/slasher novel full of blood, guts, humor, and these creepy little parasites. Let me know what you think.

Hi Kate! I took a look at "Infected" while I was at work today. Read the first chapter and was very intrigued...Mr. Sigler grabs you right away. I'm definitely putting this one on my "to-read" list! BTW, loved the cover of the book...very "eye-catching".
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: Zombie Novels

Postby aaron2010 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:46 am

I read Infected and loved it. Very bloody.

A great zombie anthology was released recently, as well. It's called The Living Dead. And it has a few names in it you might have heard before.

http://www.johnjosephadams.com/the-living-dead/

Postby Melissa on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:15 pm

Ok, I'm new to the zombie thing, relatively anyway. Myrtle Beach had it's 1st annual zombie walk last year, put together by one of my best friends, so I started researching it all. The whole thing kind of sucks you in, doesn't it? Anyway, over at The Living Dead website, there are some really good free stories to get you going. I especially liked the Death and Suffrage story, considering we're a week away from elections!
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:42 pm

Melissa wrote:Ok, I'm new to the zombie thing, relatively anyway. Myrtle Beach had it's 1st annual zombie walk last year, put together by one of my best friends, so I started researching it all. The whole thing kind of sucks you in, doesn't it? Anyway, over at The Living Dead website, there are some really good free stories to get you going. I especially liked the Death and Suffrage story, considering we're a week away from elections!

I loved WWZ by Max Brooks! :mrgreen: And I just ordered the PB of Infected by Sigler.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:55 pm

Ok, they aren't novels but my cousin just loaned me 1-3 of the collected series The Walking Dead, by Robert Kirkman- art begun by Tony Moore, and from issue #7 to present by Charlie Adlard. Each book has 6 issues collected within. So far, there are 8 books of 48 issues with #9 coming in Jan.

I love it, it's got all of the typical zombie elements but features a band of humans travelling together to try and survive. So far Kirkman isn't afraid to kill off characters but there are new ones added to the mix and always an undertone of tension between the survivors that keeps it real and interesting. It's like a zombie nighttime soap, rated hard-R, lol.

I can't wait to read more and can totally see this as a movie. :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

PreviousNext

Return to Novels