2nd Amendment, what 2nd Amendment?

The country's goin' to hell... and you know how to fix it! Tell us how here.

Re: 2nd Amendment, what 2nd Amendment?

Postby grasking on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:13 pm

Mosbey wrote:As shown by my rantings about income tax and the what not…I do not think we can pick and choose what parts of the Constitution we want to adhere to without undermining the ENTIRE document. Logically, if the Second amendment can be tossed out, what prevents the “curtailing” of the First amendment?

Free Speech Zones?
grasking

Postby doodoobird on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:48 pm

Here is the bottom line with guns. Accidents happen to those who have access to guns and were never taught to properly handle one, how to respect it. If you have guns AND children in the house, raise your kids on how to be responsible with that weapon and you can rest easy knowing that nothing will ever happen.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby Kiuku on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:49 pm

DDB,

The rule is locked and unloaded, regardless of how "well trained" those in your household are. Guns are for shooting things, not self defense within your house. That's what bats are for, especially considering zombies.
Kiuku

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:52 pm

Kiuku wrote:DDB,

The rule is locked and unloaded, regardless of how "well trained" those in your household are. Guns are for shooting things, not self defense within your house. That's what bats are for, especially considering zombies.

We use golf clubs. :lol:
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Mosbey on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:13 pm

And light sabers…zombies simply cannot stand up to the power of the Dark Side…

Honestly, perhaps these laws are alien to me…I can recall us taking guns into school…to hunt the walk home after or to show someone something new…no one ever got threatened or shot. I have high school memories of my Principle admiring a new gun of mine before putting it back into my locker. Perhaps I was odd. To short circuit the incoming redneck jokes, I grew up in the North East.

Living in a “Gun house” all my life, from my experiences, most of the dangers come from the curiosity of my non-gun household friends and their children…Conjecture: it is sort of the attraction of a “forbidden fruit” I suppose.

DDB is right…Accidents happen to those who have access to guns and were never taught to properly handle one, how to respect it.
Mosbey

Postby Kiuku on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:12 pm

Betsy,

Golf clubs are probably better. Gives you more distance!
Kiuku

Postby Kiuku on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Mosbey wrote:And light sabers…zombies simply cannot stand up to the power of the Dark Side…

Honestly, perhaps these laws are alien to me…I can recall us taking guns into school…to hunt the walk home after or to show someone something new…no one ever got threatened or shot. I have high school memories of my Principle admiring a new gun of mine before putting it back into my locker. Perhaps I was odd. To short circuit the incoming redneck jokes, I grew up in the North East.

Living in a “Gun house” all my life, from my experiences, most of the dangers come from the curiosity of my non-gun household friends and their children…Conjecture: it is sort of the attraction of a “forbidden fruit” I suppose.

DDB is right…Accidents happen to those who have access to guns and were never taught to properly handle one, how to respect it.

Wow. The statistics on gun accidents that liberals used are used under a flawed premise to begin with. Because car accidents are going to be higher among those who drive than those who do not, but driving has its privileges.

Owning a gun..Look having a gun in your house can be dangerous, more dangerous than to make it reasonable to own one for self protection. My dad was a hunter. We had guns. You can't train kids to respect guns. It's a nice sentiment, but kids are kids. Locked and unloaded.

Besides, honestly, attackers come inside your house more often than not can use your own weapon against you.

Where are you from?

You are totally right. When I went over my friends house we'd show eachother our guns.
Kiuku

Postby Kiuku on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:18 pm

Bats are great. You keep the bat by your bed and if you are a light sleeper like me, you just creep up on them and beat the living daylights out of them. Even 80 year old grandmothers can do it.
Kiuku

Postby Kiuku on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:27 pm

I don't understand how..especially in the movies..how anyone can reasonably expect themselves to clear their house with a handgun in the dead of night because they hear a noise. That's just asking to be killed. And then there are people who keep knives as self defense, not realizing, unless you are close enough to go for the eyes or something, how incredibly difficult it is to stab someone. Bats are good, don't require aim, can't be used against you as easily, and give you good range.
Kiuku

Postby grasking on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:52 am

What about throwing stars for self defense?
grasking

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:02 am

grasking wrote:
Mosbey wrote:As shown by my rantings about income tax and the what not…I do not think we can pick and choose what parts of the Constitution we want to adhere to without undermining the ENTIRE document. Logically, if the Second amendment can be tossed out, what prevents the “curtailing” of the First amendment?

Free Speech Zones?

I just caught this g...good one!
Throwing stars seem a bit impractical to me...how about nunchucks...or is it numchucks? (sp?)
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Kiuku on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:23 am

throwing stars or knives if you are skilled I suppose. If you think you can make them stick. Not very practical. I don't imagine them hurting very much. They are usually only for ninjas with real good aim and a little poison on the edges.

That's the problem. Guns are for when you know you are going after an enemy or if the enemy is on your lawn I suppose. But if it's the middle of the night you have to consider your aim isn't going to be that great when you are trying to clear your house in the night with an unknown intruder.
Kiuku

Postby Mosbey on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:33 am

Chainsaws…my guess is nothing says “I don’t want you here” quite like that first initial pull start revving of the chainsaw.

Honestly, how often does an armed homeowner have to clear a house? The mere presence of the firearm is a deterrent. Most gun control laws amount to safer working conditions for criminals. Wasn’t it a few years back when Florida removed the rental plate tags as the criminals were using them to help find unarmed victims? I have read numerous studies that show criminals fear a clash with an armed victim more than a clash with the police. Not to disparage our Boys in Blue, but career criminals are more frightened by 30-something armed mothers defending their children within the house than by a potential responding police officer.
Mosbey

Postby Mosbey on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:13 am

Mosbey

Postby Mercy on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:37 pm

I was raised in a house with guns, my parents hunted (for food thank you, not trophies) and they were always kept locked and unloaded. We were taught what to do if we found one out (not touch it, get an adult etc.) and that they were definitely not to be used as toys. We weren't even allowed to point fake guns at each other (a manner that I loath to report has gone out of style, as most children I know have pointed a play gun at me, and I have been shot with a fair number of nerf darts). Gun ownership should be as much about responsibility as right.
Mercy

PreviousNext

Return to Politics - Start Your FlameWar Here