Civil Liberties or Callous Stupidity

The country's goin' to hell... and you know how to fix it! Tell us how here.

Civil Liberties or Callous Stupidity

Postby rosechimera on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:22 am

J. Fritzl (imprisoned his daughter, brutally raped her, and fathered a bunch of kids with her) has been in the news lately because his trial is starting. I avoid sensational news because I just can't deal, but it's even turning up on RSS feeds. As details emerged, I am thoroughly traumatized, and I can't even imagine how this woman and her children survived. They emerged translucent, vitamin D deficient, anemic, unable to walk properly because their dungeon had low ceilings. The investigators could only go in the area they were kept for an hour at a time because of the mold fumes and lack of oxygen. This woman not only survived through failed escape attempts, birthing children alone, the death of one of them, and horrific trauma beyond comprehension for more than 20 years, but it seems she was a loving, caring mother to her children.
I do not mean this in a punitive or vindictive sense, but I'm saying out of the protection of the innocent, why are sex offenders ever ever released? Why are the ones that are out not fitted with a GPS implant? You would think if they had no ill intent, they would love it because it could help establish innocence when bad things are done. This man had a rape conviction by the time his daughter was born. I realize this happened in Austria, but not long ago in my own local news a wealthy business man received 3 years probation after molesting a family member. And in the college town where I grew up women kept disappearing, and surprise, it was a man was just released from a sentence for rape and attempted murder. I'm not a Madoff fan, but I don't understand why he will be sentenced a hundred years, and molesters and rapists walk among us. I would take making a tragic investment any day over someone being physically and emotionally destroyed. These perpetrators cannot be helped in a way that makes people safe, so why are we, as a society, okay with letting them go on probation or a couple of years and seeing this happen to people? I love American civil liberties, I love the ACLU, I do not love predators unleashed.
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
-Nietzsche
rosechimera

Re: Civil Liberties or Callous Stupidity

Postby Melissa on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:36 pm

I have no comment other than I totally agree
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Yeah, Rose...me too. I don't believe in capital punishment but I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of these folks hung by their you-know-whats. When you do such a thing to a child you may not be taking their life, but you are taking their soul which is worse, in my opinion.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby This_Girl on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:57 pm

I certainly don't know the answer. I am all for sexual offenders getting VERY strict sentences...I think they should be punished moreso than they are now. I can go on and on about how I think they should suffer and not even think twice about how cruel it makes me sound...UNTIL someone reminds me that a person of 18 having consentual sex with the 16 year old partner technically falls into this category as well.
I get enraged thinking about these types of "people".
This_Girl

Return to Politics - Start Your FlameWar Here