Crisis, What Crisis?

The country's goin' to hell... and you know how to fix it! Tell us how here.

Re: Crisis, What Crisis?

Postby doodoobird on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:06 am

Yes they do. But you see, I am becoming a police officer. All I need to get in the academy is three years in the military or 60 college credits. I have 5 years in the military and much more then the required 60. Cops in CT (where I will be working. Fuck the NYPD. Tough job and they get paid SHIT) get paid out the ahole. Starting at 65K??????? A rookie????? With up to 25 K in overtime???? And you get an increase in pay every year??? Great deal. The thing is, education in law enforcement these days is the best way to get that promotion. So yeah, I got a jump start on the competition because of the college credits I DO have, and the fact that I am a veteran, but somewhere down the road when I go for, say, Leutenant, detective, Captain, it will really help to have a masters degree. So I ask myself, why not get it now????? While its easy. Already in school. Dont have too many responsibilities. If the lack of money is ever an issue (lack of a REAL job and all) I can always move back in with my parents, who I love dearly (really, mom and dad are great. Dont bother me at all. Expect the whole akwardness when going bump in the night. Especially when they sleep directly above me.), now would be the ideal time to do it. Down the road, as a full time police officer, it will be way too much of a hassle to finish school. And it wont be practical at the pace I would have to go. So what do I do what do I do. Part of me wants to do the long term thing. The other part is to end this part of my life and start the next phase. Shit, start working now and I'll be receiving a 50% pension at 45. Not bad. Plus, if I start the police job like A.S.A.P I can get a house. You see, i saved a lot of money from my time in the Army. I have excellent credit, too. The only thing keeping me from getting a house right now is the fact that I have no steady reliable income so the banks will not give a load. Despite the fact that I am willing to drop 100K on a downpayment. Now especially, it does not matter. But shit, if I start working as soon as I finish this semester then by this coming summer I WILL have a house of my own. And now is the time to bye. I can sell that one four years from now and turn a big profit. Upgrade, if you will. One of the main things pushing me in that direction is the thought of being the only guy in my click who has their own house. Not that I am that kind of person who thinks that way. But its more like an achievement thing for me. I would say to myself, 'Hey, maybe am not such a fuck up. You know? Most of my buddys are still living with their parents and I got my own house'. I want that. And I know I can have it soon if I take that route. Again, not to brag. I am so not a materialistic person. Its just a personal achivement thing for me. I just dont know.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:40 am

Hey DDB...I can see pluses on both sides of your decision. My only advice to you would be if you think having a Master's degree really would help you in the long run, I'd probably go for it. Especially if going for it wouldn't put a hardship on you financially. I understand that you're ready to start your career, but on a personal note my husband didn't get his Master's degree and now he's in competition for promotions with 25-30 year olds who have one and coming out on the short end. Of course, he couldn't afford to go for his Master's because we were married and he had to get a job so it's not his fault, but I think he wishes he had been able to go for it. Then again, 25 years ago it wasn't as big a deal to have one.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:30 am

You can get a Master's in 2 years or LESS if you bust your ass....plus, it may make you stand out even more when it comes time to hand out promotions..a higher education has never hurt anyone......
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:31 am

damn, when i was 25 it never even crossed my mind that i would be doing this physics stuff....i dreaded math back then( plus i was just going back to school at that time)
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Previous

Return to Politics - Start Your FlameWar Here