Crisis, What Crisis?

The country's goin' to hell... and you know how to fix it! Tell us how here.

Re: Crisis, What Crisis?

Postby grasking on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:08 pm

Where's Andrew Jackson when you need him?
grasking

Postby grasking on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:04 pm

grasking

Postby Kiuku on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Grasking that sign reminds me of a gadget I picked up at a ghost conference in Savannah. It runs on the assumption that if ghosts can influence EMF fields, then this EMF sensitive device, which has an electronic dictionary, should allow ghosts to communicate with you. "JUMP" was a favorite word in the demonstrations, which were, admittedly, quite eery.

If you are running on that assumption, and also the possibility that ghosts are really communicating through the device, ghosts like to tell you to "JUMP" and "DIE" and "BURN" and especially when and how you'll die. They aren't, apparently, very nice. I wonder why.
Kiuku

Postby Kiuku on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:27 pm

I've been watching the news. The economy, imo, is quite normal. The crisis they were referring to, and hoping to prevent with the bailout was a -credit- crisis not an economic meltdown. Of course, in the process of explaining how a total and complete credit sieze up could affect the economy and average American people, it became a dire issue. This was a far fetched proposal in the first place.

The masses we are referring to are the 1 in 5 people, right now, statistically, who believe another Great Depression is on the way.

What I was referring to were the words that came out of the Senators and the Representatives who voted for the bailout the second time. They voted for it because they didn't want to be blamed for economic failures and the hardships of average Americans. This is totally due to the pressure of the terrified masses.

The crisis they were talking about was a credit freeze up. Credit should freeze up. Credit has become an economic problem. Credit for businesses is being affected, unfortunately. Normal bank loans are being affected, unfortunately.

Credit got out of hand. People started to believe they could live lifestyles they could not, normally, afford, and shady bank practices were more than willing to accomodate, thinking, stupidly, that nothing bad would result out of having people who could not pay back outrageous debts.
Kiuku

Postby Kiuku on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Another Great Depression is unlikely because we still have strong money flow and the fundamentals of the economy are strong. I can say that. Politicians cannot. If McCain is soft on the economy, it will look bad. Obama meanwhile stands a lot to gain from people thinking we are economically doomed. The voice of reason MUST COME from our present administration, voices on the economy, and people in positions of economic responsibility. Unfortunately, only predictions of doom have been around...but they were all wrong.

Gas prices are rising, but I don't think it is outrageous. I think it is still somewhat in proportion to average salaries, if you go back in time and measure. The problem is that we are not an oil producing nation and we have not set up many (any?) new plants to refine crude oil. Plus we are fighting a war and therefore have to divert barrels upon barrels our own refined oil products to fight it.

People simply do not understand that living within their salaries is normal...and not a symptom of a great depression.
Kiuku

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:46 am

Mosbey wrote:“If you think that only dictatorships control the media and any information we receive you are mistaken.”

Agreed Betsy. Quick question…why then is the Media SO in the tank For Obama?

“Thank God they never succeeded in privatizing social security, we'd be living in a cardboard box down in the Glades with the snakes and gators.”

Opting out of this enforced government serfdom ought to be an option. I do not want their “social security” yet for years I have been FORCED to pay into it!? How does that differ from a tenant farmer who whipped to work his master’s fields before working his own? Paying taxes IS NOT PATRIOTIC as Joe Biden tries to claim, it is a form of BONDAGE.

OK...so everyone should just quit paying taxes, eh? Then what happens to all the soldiers and their families? Who is going to pay for the defense of our country? Who is going to pay for the police who protect us, the teachers who educate our children, the roads we drive on....etc, etc, etc? Joe Biden was exactly right...paying our taxes IS patriotic. I understand that everybody hates paying them, but we all have to do our part as Americans to keep this country moving. The issue should be "Where are our tax dollars going?" Also, "Why isn't the tax system more fair?" I like Obama's idea that the people of the middle class who are struggling these days will get tax relief while the people who are making millions (and a lot of them undeservedly so) will pay more. McCain is going to make the Bush tax cuts for the rich permanent...I think that is wrong. It would be different if the "trickle down" theory worked, but there are too many greedy people giving themselves huge salaries and bonuses rather than reinvesting in their companies. I say vote for Obama and the "trickle up" theory.

Speaking of the Great Depression, K...you are right: We have not yet gone that far down. My mom and dad grew up during the Depression and I could tell you stories about how my dad often times had to go to bed hungry as a child. My mom told me that the only thing that saved their family was having a cow. I don't think we're there yet, but I think if we don't all calm down it could happen. As McCain said last night, we need a calm and steady hand at the tiller...and that person is Obama.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:48 am

grasking wrote:

Funny g...let's start with the AIG folks who spent $400,000 of their bail-out money to go to a resort/spa. Fuckers!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Mosbey on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:49 am

Betsy, Yet AGAIN you preach without answering a simple question…

“If you think that only dictatorships control the media and any information we receive you are mistaken.”

I support the Constitution…THAT is Patriotic. Biden/Obama’s tax plan IS NOT. Show me where in our Constitution where it says such taxes are allowed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ueEfRXZCVA

The answer is NOT taxes, and it is NOT Obama. Obama is MORE of the Same…Groomed and whelped by the CORRUPT CHICAGO DALEY REGIME!

BTW, you have yet to explain the Racism you claimed was in that wheeler piece...Should I hold my breath?
Mosbey

Postby Mosbey on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:23 am

While you are at it, please explain to me why a free citizen should not be able to opt out of the government social security? Forced payments? How is that NOT a form of slavery?

That is what my statement revolved around…it had nothing to do with this red herring about “all the soldiers and their families” nor anything to do with police protection.

The hypocrisy in your implications is astounding. If you so support the soldiers, then why do you support a party so invested in defeat? Would you rather cut and run from Iraq now, leaving the job half done and requiring more yet hardship for soldiers and families 10 years from now? We can argue the details, but if you support the police, then why faithfully support a party consistently more for the rights of the criminal than the rights of the victim or the police?
Mosbey

Postby Kiuku on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:40 am

I am living in a depression right now. I managed to short circuit my entire room and now I have to drink my tea luke warm.

Mosbey, I don't think McCain and Palin are approaching Iraq correctly in the debates. It's true. But people simply aren't responding. They want out of Iraq. They aren't responding to themes of victory. What McCain and Palin need to do is highlight disaster versus success but they need to sell an end to the war. When Biden said ending the war, Palin should have came back with "Well there are 2 ways to end a war" "in defeat/disaster or in success" "we want to end the war but in a way that brings success. McCain knows how to do that" etc.

A huge point they are also failing big time on is health care. They fail to see that the public, almost everyone except small business owners, the vast majority of people want their next president to consider health care a right.

Obama is winning on sheer knowledge of what the public wants to hear.
Kiuku

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:10 pm

Mosbey wrote:Betsy, Yet AGAIN you preach without answering a simple question…

“If you think that only dictatorships control the media and any information we receive you are mistaken.”

I support the Constitution…THAT is Patriotic. Biden/Obama’s tax plan IS NOT. Show me where in our Constitution where it says such taxes are allowed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ueEfRXZCVA

The answer is NOT taxes, and it is NOT Obama. Obama is MORE of the Same…Groomed and whelped by the CORRUPT CHICAGO DALEY REGIME!

BTW, you have yet to explain the Racism you claimed was in that wheeler piece...Should I hold my breath?

You know, Mosbey...a lot of the reason I don't answer some of your questions is because of your attitude. Most times I prefer to ignore you because you are sooooooooooooooo right wing there is no way to have an intelligent discussion with you. But I'll give you this much: "Why is the media so in the tank for Obama?" How am I suppose to give an intelligent answer to a question that I fundamentally disagree with? How's this for an answer: It's not. As far as the Wheeler piece...it is so obviously racist that I shouldn't have to explain it to you and I really don't really want to go through it line by line. I don't even want to read that tripe again.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Mosbey wrote:While you are at it, please explain to me why a free citizen should not be able to opt out of the government social security? Forced payments? How is that NOT a form of slavery?

That is what my statement revolved around…it had nothing to do with this red herring about “all the soldiers and their families” nor anything to do with police protection.

The hypocrisy in your implications is astounding. If you so support the soldiers, then why do you support a party so invested in defeat? Would you rather cut and run from Iraq now, leaving the job half done and requiring more yet hardship for soldiers and families 10 years from now? We can argue the details, but if you support the police, then why faithfully support a party consistently more for the rights of the criminal than the rights of the victim or the police?

Red herring? You're the one who dissed Biden for saying paying taxes was patriotic. You're the one who brought it up. I was just explaining why taxes are necessary because you obviously don't understand that. And the Democratic stance about war is we shouldn't put our soldiers in harms way unless we have a damn good reason and even you cannot deny that we did NOT have a damn good reason for going into Iraq. We should get out of there as quickly as we can before one more drop of blood is shed. It is because I support the soldiers and their families that I want them home. Going into Iraq just made the situation in the Middle East worse and made more recruits for Al Qaida. It's destroying our economy. And you don't even want to get me started on civil rights. You think just because the Constitution guarantees rights for everyone that it doesn't include victims? I carry a copy of the Constitution around with me in my purse...I'd be happy to copy it out for you, at least in regard to the rights of the accused. You'd change your tune pretty fast if you were falsely accused of a crime, now wouldn't you?

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:30 pm

And btw, what's going on in Iraq is no longer a war. It's a fucking police action.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Florida on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:03 pm

Betsy,
I find it hilarious that Mosbey picked a quote from one of my messages and then pinned it on you.

:::sigh:::
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Postby Mosbey on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:36 pm

“Betsy,
I find it hilarious that Mosbey picked a quote from one of my messages and then pinned it on you.”

I apologize for the miss-quote. Oh well, I am still recovering. That said, thanks Florida for correcting a factual error in my ranting. :oops: IIRC, this is the second time you have done such. :wink:

As for Betsy…
“Most times I prefer to ignore you because you are sooooooooooooooo right wing there is no way to have an intelligent discussion with you.”

Betsy, you called the Wheeler piece racist “lies” or some such. You will not point to something racist, and you have yet to point out a single lie. All I have been asking from you is logic and factual backing for your political positions and rants… the foundations of intelligent discussion…you have yet to provide…

“How am I suppose to give an intelligent answer to a question that I fundamentally disagree with? How's this for an answer: It's not.”

You honestly do not think the media is in the tank for Obama? Where do you think the major media news networks fall…NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, FOX…With the exception of FOX, you have an uphill battle. Were I to search them for anti-McCain spins, and you to search them for Anti-Obama spins…which one of us would have an easier time?

“I carry a copy of the Constitution around with me in my purse...I'd be happy to copy it out for you, at least in regard to the rights of the accused.”

Go back and study the section on taxation. One of us clearly needs a refresher course on that subject. Please direct me to the section that says I have to pay social security or income taxes.

As for damn good reason in Iraq…

http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/iraq/ ... sect2.html

And Betsy, please try to remember, I am attacking your political arguments, not you. Anyways good night all.
Mosbey

PreviousNext

Return to Politics - Start Your FlameWar Here