Crisis, What Crisis?

The country's goin' to hell... and you know how to fix it! Tell us how here.

Crisis, What Crisis?

Postby Kiuku on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:45 pm

Everything is looking up today! Where is the looming crisis?

hahaha. Peace is on the horizon.

“You have to have faith that at some point these people will come to their senses, and do things that have to be done to stabilize the patient, and then we can take positive measures, like a strong dollar, like tax cuts, to get our economy in shape so that it can start to recover next year,” Forbes told Newsmax in an exclusive interview late Monday afternoon. “But right now we’ve got to make sure the patient doesn’t die. It’s in cardiac arrest and the doctors have decided to take a recess.”

Forbes says the economy is already in a recession, and predicted that financial markets will take “a huge hit” on Tuesday in addition to a nearly 778 point drop the Dow Jones Industrial Average experienced on Monday. It was the largest single-day drop in history, and effectively erased $1.2 trillion dollars in market equity.

“If something isn’t done, then the financial system will go into cardiac arrest, and we’ll have something we haven’t seen since the early 1930s,” said Forbes, the CEO of Forbes magazine.

Forbes said Wall Street and the federal government share blame for the meltdown. The No. 1 factor, he said, was excessive expansion of the money supply by the Federal Reserve beginning in 2004. He also blamed Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, which helped people buy homes although they would be delinquent “from the time they signed the mortgage.”

Vote McCain
Kiuku

Re: Crisis, What Crisis?

Postby Kiuku on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:29 pm

There was a record jump in the Dow today. Largest since 2000. Possibly because investors are gambling on the crisis not existing. Who knows what will happen tomorrow, but we really shouldn't underestimate the system, and the actual flow of money, which is quite strong.

Pakistan's new "spy chief" is going to be tough on militants. Russia should really rethink it's associations with Chavez. The guys a loose nutcase.

Bottom line. America is great will remain great, and we should vote for McCain.
Kiuku

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:40 pm

All I can say is:

VOTE OBAMA!!!!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Kiuku on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:47 pm

I don't want to make it about what Couric did wrong, because she is a woman too. She is just doing the bidding of Sexism. I just think the interview, or any interview can go just as well without unnecessarily detailed questions, questions can be posed (AND ANSWERED) as long as they aren't just about fact finding, and that the interview had more of an interrogation feel than was probably appropriate. I think if I sat down with a Politician, or any Politician, or ANYONE, I could stump them if I pressed enough.

Remember, Obama said there were 57 states. Obama thought Oregon was in the Great Lakes region. Obama didn't even know which state bordered his own.

How can you get away with that other than sexism? How can you tell someone they need to be "put out of their agony". Is that ever appropriate?

Whoops, wrong forum.. :)
Kiuku

Postby Kiuku on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:50 pm

Betsy,

You may be right that we are not out of the woods yet. But if there really is no crisis, and the Republicans are right in rejecting this bailout, and that bankruptcy is the better option..what will that say for voters?
Kiuku

Postby grasking on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:55 pm

Is this the pin Obama now wears on his lapel?

http://www.suitablyflip.com/suitably_fl ... paign.html

Get yours today!
grasking

Postby grasking on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:06 pm

Sarah Palin seems to think we are in a crisis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2kjFn4s4sU
grasking

Postby Kiuku on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 pm

HAHAHA. (The flag pin)

Everyone thought there was a crisis. I mean there was a crisis, but maybe it's more manageable and not as dire as previously considered.
Kiuku

Postby doodoobird on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:37 pm

By the media constantly predicting doom and gloom, by putting excessive fear in the minds of the american people, they will turn a bad situation into a horrible situation.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby Florida on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:54 pm

Fear is the mind killer!

Always wanted to say that.
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:19 pm

grasking wrote:Is this the pin Obama now wears on his lapel?

http://www.suitablyflip.com/suitably_fl ... paign.html

Get yours today!

LOL....good stuff, good stuff, i may buy one...that is a good one...
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Kiuku on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:13 pm

I'm tired of hearing about this bailout already. We shouldn't pass it. Let them go bankrupt. It's the American way. We'll be fine.

Warren Buffet just issued a statement about how we're all gonna die if it doesn't pass or something like that..But it's just cuz he went around investing and stands to lose a little if it doesn't go through.
Kiuku

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:26 pm

Florida wrote:Fear is the mind killer!

Always wanted to say that.

You know Florida...I totally agree with you on this. I'm so tired of the fear mongering in this country. I have a theory that one of the main reasons the average person isn't buying this bailout is because we have lost trust in our government. They just won't tell us the truth. We all know, no matter what your political persuasion is, that we were lied to about Iraq. Bush had us shitting in our pants and that's why so many people went along with the invasion. That's also how we ended up condoning torture, which is the most Un-American thing we've ever done. How are we supposed to believe him now about the dire consequences of not passing this bail-out bill? I'll never let them fool me again. I'm no economist...I don't understand what the hell is going on and until I do---until they can explain it to me in words I can understand, I say wait!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Kiuku on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:50 pm

For real. All the hardcore economists predicted a total crash on Tuesday, an economic "heart attack", and a full on credit seizure which will never happen. They say we need this bailout to pass to free up credit. But it's bad credit that got us here in the first place. The bail out will not solve joblessness. It will not solve the inherent failures that produced the problem. It might soothe temporarily, but the problem will only get worse with a bailout of this magnitude. Democrats see it as an opportunity to put more regulations in place, that will not help anything either.

If the bailout does not go through I doubt very much we will have a huge depression, and I have all the faith in capitalism and the fundamental strength of our economy (not to quote anyone lol). There are other banks. People will lose out, jobs will be lost, but there sure as hell won't be a total credit freeze up. Stocks will fall a little bit on fear, but they'll come back. It will just return to good credit practices and good loan practices, like it should. Bankruptcy is the correct option here. We can't reward bad practices like this...especially when it won't solve the underlying problem.
Kiuku

Postby Kiuku on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:52 pm

A lot of us are already living in a recession. We'd rather have a depression than see these guys get a bailout.

And it just goes to show that the situation wasn't, atleast, as dire as originally predicted. So it should and can wait til it's a better deal. It's just that a lot of Economic heavy weights don't want to be wrong. They shouldn't be forecasting doom.
Kiuku

Next

Return to Politics - Start Your FlameWar Here