First Debate

The country's goin' to hell... and you know how to fix it! Tell us how here.

First Debate

Postby doodoobird on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:44 am

Did not get to watch the debate, but I did get the highlights. Highlights, make it sound like its f'ing sports center. Anyway, what did you guys think? I will have to spare my opinion until I actually watch it on youtube when I get a chance. Assuming its up. Sure it will be. 8)
Yo mama
doodoobird

Re: First Debate

Postby Kiuku on Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:21 am

I was impressed.
Kiuku

Postby foxslady on Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:19 am

I thought it was a tie. However McCain kept trying to talk over Obama when it wasn't his turn to talk. and McCain seems to have a irritating smirk on his face all the time, sort of like he's humoring a little child, made me want to smack him. I had the same feeling whenever I watched the Shrub.

Barb
wrinkles are left over smiles
foxslady

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:28 am

They are showing a repeat today at 4 pm...I think on MSNBC...if anyone missed it last night.

I'm with you Barb...McCain wouldn't even give Obama the courtesy of looking him in the eye when he spoke to him. McCain is a wrong-headed, pissed-off, grumpy old man.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby doodoobird on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:53 am

Foxylady, If I were McCain, I would feel like I was talking to a child.
Two things really stuck out to me. one: I AM SOOOO TIRED of hearing Obama remind people that he was against the war from the start. Hillary said it best when she said that all Obama has is a speech he gave in 20??. We are all familiar with the lead up to the war. We are all familiar with the horrible management of the war. But is Obama familiar with the last year and a half of the war??????? Must he keep on dancing around the obvious recent successes and insist that he was against it, even when that was not the question????
Two: It scares me to think of much he lacks in the understanding of foreign affairs. Why do I say this???? One word, PAKISTAN. Obama wants to go in with our military and flush out the enemys safe haven on the Pak Afgh border (pak side). WE WOULD LOVE TO DO THAT. A full on incursion across that border would most likely bring us Osama, Al Zahari, Mullah Omar, most of the top leadership of the Taliban and Al Qaeda, would destroy their new safe haven, and greatly increase American Security overal. Also, it would turn the war in Afghanistan back around. SOUNDS GREAT, RIGHT???? He is either acting tough for his image or he has no f'ing clue as to how that would change the dynamics Pakistan. Most of the positive accomplishments I mentioned above would happen. Great success for the short term. But long term effects of this would outweigh the positive times 10. Pakistans goverment would lose all credibility. The population would completely get behind the radicals. With the support of the population the radicals would quickly take control of that country. The effects would ripple, causing a chain reaction. Or a downward spiral is more like it. I really believe that this would turn out be as big of a disaster as Iraq. I am sure of this.
Overall I would say that if not for this mistake by Obama the first debate would be tied. Because of this, I say McCain did slightly better.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby doodoobird on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:11 am

By the way, that little smirk on McCains face is what I would call the 'wise ass'. Because I read the mans life story, I know that growing up (he really did not fully grow up until Vietnam, honestly) he was a wise ass in every respect of the word. I recognize it because I myself have one. Gotta love it.
I just clicked on an aricle on Yahoo. Within the article was a little ad. I found it very pathetic. It proclaimed, On the Economy On the War Overall, Barak Obama wins debate. At the bottom of the ad in fine print, PAID FOR BY BARAK OBAMA. What the Fuck??????? Wow, little arrogant dont you think???? Who the hell does that but a pompous fuck????? Oh yeah, forgot to mention the best part. The image of Obama is surrounded by this holy glow. Fucking pathetic. And SCARY.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby doodoobird on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:24 am

Final note before I shut up.
McCain could have been a little....... whats the word????? Friendlier to Obama. Or came off as friendlier. Obama said, 'John is right', 9 times. Just to have a little class McCain should have made some friendly comment.
For the record, Obama tried to talk over McCain several times during the debate. In fact, I noticed him doing it more then McCain did to him.
Lastly, did you notice how much Obama stu stu stutters when he does not have a script in front of him???????????????????
Later peoples.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby grasking on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:38 pm

grasking

Postby doodoobird on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:05 pm

Read the article, grassy. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
We need SOMEONE on here to give these links once in awhile to swift past the horseshit. Peace.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:41 pm

grasking wrote:http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_debate_no_1.html

Definitely gotta put this on my favorites! :) Thanks g!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:55 pm

doodoobird wrote:I just clicked on an aricle on Yahoo. Within the article was a little ad. I found it very pathetic. It proclaimed, On the Economy On the War Overall, Barak Obama wins debate. At the bottom of the ad in fine print, PAID FOR BY BARAK OBAMA. What the Fuck??????? Wow, little arrogant dont you think???? Who the hell does that but a pompous fuck????? Oh yeah, forgot to mention the best part. The image of Obama is surrounded by this holy glow. Fucking pathetic. And SCARY.

Just out of casual curiosity... would you feel the same if McCain had prematurely proclaimed winning the debate(s) at all, too? Because, if not... then it seems to be a incredibly myopic perspective to take, where if it's "your guy" then it's always a good thing, but if it's not, then it's rubbish, shit, and unforgivable.

The only thing about politics that really gets annoying is the hypocrisy. If it's bad for one, then it's gotta be bad for all.

Again, just my .02¢
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Florida on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:19 pm

I watched it with my sister. I noticed that when Obama was speaking about "The American People" he made sure to give good eye contact to the camera. It made me feel like he wanted us to know he knows we're out there, that he's doing this for us.
McCain seemed to talk in circles at times. Obama had the demeanor of one letting Grampa ramble on about the war. That smirk McCain always has really gets on my nerves. It's like he thinks he's too good for this 'campaign' stuff.
Did any of you guys catch the Palin interview with Katie Couric? What a laugh riot that was!!!
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Postby doodoobird on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:31 pm

Shane shane shane shane shane. Is that an accusation? Based on an assumption????? Anyway, I will answer your question with complete honesty. I swear. I would swear to God but I dont believe in him....... so I'll swear to............... the almighty dollar, the closest thing to a God in my world, I guess.
McCain can claim during a function of some sort that he was the winner of the debate. That would be cool. Acceptable to me. Even in THAT scenario I dont really think it would be right because the debate had no CLEAR winner. Any hardcore Obama or McCain fan that is not blinded by their devotion should be able to see that. If anyone did win the debate it was by a pubic hair, really. I stated my own opinion on who won above, for the record. And I make it clear in that opinion that most would (should) see this as a tie, if anything. My problem is that Obama should not place an ad that shows up on every damn article you select on one of the most popular websites on the web proclaiming that he clearly won the debate. On the Economy, On the War, On the Issues (the ad went something like this), Barak Obama Wins Debate. Then in really really really small print (I wish I could shrink the text size to emphasize my point. (hint: Shane?)), say, Paid For By Barak Obama. Honestly, it insults the intelligence of the American people to place an ad like that right after so many of us watched the freaking debate. Its like saying, because it was so close and hard to decide, AM GONNA NUDGE YOU ALONG, because you cant decide for yourself. Yes, Politicians do that ALL the time, but right after we all just saw the debate and know your claim is wrong at best and a bold face lie at worst? Being honest again, if McCain made a serious screw up or if Obama just manhandled him in every aspect of the debate, then go ahead and and place the damn ad. It just seems dirty to do that. More then dirty, it almost seems desperate. I've heard it said by these pundits that McCain and 'the establishment' (this was said even more often during the primaries, with my home girl Hillary) are peeved that their 'entitlement' to the white house is in jeopardy by a black man, or something along these lines. I have been following this election closely and if ANYONE has been acting 'entitled' it is BY FAR Obama. (Trying to wrap this up) If anyone disputes that claim it is def one of the ones I've made that I feel very very very confident about and can back with evidence. McCain has made it clear he MAY become president while Barak always says WHEN I become president. I think, hold on there dear boy, you have not won anything YET. So dont reveal to us your new presidential seal just yet. Let me get to the worst part of this ad. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT HOLY F'ING GLOW THAT SURROUNDS BARAK LIKE HE IS A F'ING ANGEL FROM HEAVEN OR SOMETHING. That just scared the shit out of me. Dont even want to get into that one and what kind of arrogance and false hope that image provokes. THE ANOINTED ONE, INDEED. I mean, could he possibly get away with that because that is how you Barak Obama 'change we can believe in' followers see him?????? If so, what a let down thats gonna be if he gets elected. Hence, as I've said before, ONE TERM JIMMY CARTER PRESIDENT.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby Kiuku on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:06 pm

Yes DooDooBird. Carter with A LOT more Drama. Just like the video.

We have bigger things to worry about then the smug attitude Obama has displayed throughout the primaries and this election. It's unfortunate that, while people worry about the plight of Black Americans if Obama does not get elected, no one wondered about the women of America, while they watched the highly qualified candidate get dragged down by misogyny, ultimately demeaned and now the also qualified V.P nomination made into a joke.

Yet DDB..I do not know why a Neophyte would ever want a presidency at the time we are facing now. Perhaps because he is a Neophyte and an Idealist he just does not have a clue. Neither do the Americans who vote for him. I am more concerned now about Russia's military exercises with Venezeula. In fact, R and Venezuela just recently announced that they are now (political) allies -against- the US.

Obama's legacy will be the last presidency of the United States. Maybe even that is what he wants.

The debate was not won by either party. But they ..conservatively set out and accomplished what they meant to. It wasn't enough for McCain. I think McCain fell short of what was necessary in this debate.
Kiuku

Postby Shane on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:33 pm

doodoobird wrote:My problem is that Obama should not place an ad that shows up on every damn article you select on one of the most popular websites on the web proclaiming that he clearly won the debate. On the Economy, On the War, On the Issues (the ad went something like this), Barak Obama Wins Debate. Then in really really really small print (I wish I could shrink the text size to emphasize my point. (hint: Shane?)), say, Paid For By Barak Obama. Honestly, it insults the intelligence of the American people to place an ad like that right after so many of us watched the freaking debate. Its like saying, because it was so close and hard to decide, AM GONNA NUDGE YOU ALONG, because you cant decide for yourself.

No accusations were intended or meant in my question, really. I just wanted to get your take in the hope of clarifying, that's all.

Because, interestingly enough, the day of the debate, hours before it would even start to take place, John McCain's ad, much like the one you describe of Obama, actually -- complete with a patriotic aura, said the following: "McCain Wins Debate!" and then, below it, in the very same tiny lettering: "Paid for by McCain-Palin 2008"

This wasn't a trap, or a ruse, or anything akin to such things. Really, I just wanted to know what you'd feel about McCain (which, I think could easily be agreed in here to be found as "your guy" - at least for this particular election) doing nearly the very same thing.

I appreciated your taking the time out to reply to my question, and I agree with some of your points, too. I don't think you knew about McCain's similar advertisement. [though, of course, I don't know for sure... hell, you very well may have!] Honestly, and this has nothing to do with my affiliation at all -- I think making an ad appear before something, rather than after-the-fact, is more annoying. That's hubris-filled presumption in a way that the post-ad appearance was surely an attempt at branding and swaying, potentially.
Shane
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics - Start Your FlameWar Here