Best Horror Movies of the Past 10 years

Postby grasking on Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:30 pm

Has anyone see the Japanese movie "Suicide Club"?
grasking

Postby aaron2010 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:23 pm

I own Audition but haven't seen it yet. I have to set aside some time when the kids aren't home to watch that one.

Suicide Club ? Nope. Haven't seen that one either. I guess it's a good one, huh?

Postby GLord on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:31 am

RachSuz,

The thing that I loved about Jeepers Creepers was the atmosphere the director created and of course the music. I never heard the Creeper song before and found myself humming along to it as the Creeper was trying to get the body part he soo desired. Funny two people being chased(or one as it turned out) and terrified by this creature and you get a catchy tune to bob your head to. Loved it.

Also, the ending was far from happy as many mainstream movies end up being today and that was nice.
GLord

Postby RachSuz on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:56 am

aaron2010: Yeah, watching Audition without kids is DEFINITELY a good idea. It's beautiful, and completely horrifying.

GLord: I guess my big problem was the old woman who served as a kind of Greek chorus, telling us what was happening (except she didn't really). She completely destroyed the atmosphere for me. I just wasn't scared by the end. And you never heard the Jeepers Creepers song before? Hmm. I guess I used to sing it with my mom, so it might have had a little different impact!

I saw it in the theatre when it came out and haven't seen it since...maybe I'll give it another try. The opening DID have me freaking out in my seat.
RachSuz

Postby val04463 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:39 am

Is the Jeepers Creeper song

"Jeepers Creepers, where'd you get those peepers?"
"Jeepers Creepers, where'd you get those eyes?"
val04463

Postby grasking on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:01 am

Ya, I liked "Suicide Club". I watched for the first time the other night. The movie opens with about 50 schoolgirls holding hands and jumping in front of a subway train. It's best described as a social critique or satire of Japanese youth and pop culture. "Are you connected to yourself?"
grasking

Postby Eric on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:39 pm

Personally, I don't find too many of today's movies "scary." I'm not sure if that's because I'm older or Hollywoods lack of imagination. It seems to me that the movies of today are just after the shock factor (House of 1000 Corpses/Devils Rejects and Saw 1,2,3) rather than concentrating on the story line.
I think the opening scene of Scream, with Drew Barrymore, is pretty scary - mostly because something like that could actually happen. Arachnophobia was scary because I HATE spiders. The remake of The Shining (Stephen Weber and Rebecca DeMorney) was really good.
I tried to watch Nightwatch but quit half way through because I thought it was fairly boring.
Eric

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:52 pm

I agree with you on House of 1000 Corpses. I thought it was dumb. The spider movie did nothing for me. The remake of The Shining was excellent and much better than the first (although I did like Jack). My own personal thought on Shelley Duvall was, how stiff does someone have to be before we put them in the Smithsonian? Weber did an excellent job in his own right.
I did like the first Saw though. I thought it was pretty creative.
Dana_Jean

Postby val04463 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:50 am

I was scared shitless by The Blair Witch Project..I know it was contrived and all..but I was scared and am still scared when I watch it.
val04463

Postby GLord on Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:56 am

I believe if "The Blair Witch Project" wasn't hyped up soo much I may have enjoed it more but I probally would still think it was pretty lame much the same way "Cabin Fever" was a complete disappointment.

Still don't understand peoples logic in those movies being considered great.
GLord

Postby aaron2010 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:11 pm

GLord wrote:"Cabin Fever" was a complete disappointment.

Pancakes !

Postby Eric on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:46 am

Dana Jean wrote:I did like the first Saw though. I thought it was pretty creative.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I like all the Saw movies and the Rob Zombie movies, in fact I own all of them, I just didn't find them scary. It just seemed to me that they were after a "shock factor" rather than making them scary.

Another scary movie that I just remembered is The Haunting with Catherine Zeta Jones, Owen Wilson, etc. I was surprised it was rated PG.
Eric

Postby RachSuz on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:52 am

val04463: Yup, that's the jeepers creepers song.
RachSuz

Postby val04463 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:53 am

I remember back in the 70's I had to leave Amityville Horror about 5 minutes into the movie I was so horrified...I think the scene showed hundreds of houseflies in an attic window? I have never watched it since..I was 23 when I saw that..I Absolutely love horror films, but I only see the mainstream ones. I was affected by Poltergeist, and in the early 70's Isaw The Exorcist at a movie theater in Bangor with my hubby I've been with for 32 years, and the girl setting beside me had on Green Apple perfume (Quite popular back then, for those who didn't want to smell of Oxen Musk Oil).

Anyway, I still equate the smell of any apple scent with the infamous green puke that turned all of our stomachs.
I thought The Village was good and scary..or at least made me anxious.
Last edited by val04463 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
val04463

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:55 am

I thought the Blair Witch Project was the most overrated movie of all time. Ever. All they did was cuss at each other and wake up in the middle of the night so they could run around with a camera to give us those creative bouncing camera shots. So avant-garde. Oooo scary.

"Where's the map you bitch?"
"You had the map!"
"Dammit! I didn't have the map bitch!"
"I'm crying now, because we have no map and you guys are cussing at me."
"Just wait until tonight when we have to run through the forest with the bouncing camera shots and spooky noises all around us and we don't have a map."

And HOW much money did this make?
Last edited by Dana_Jean on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dana_Jean

PreviousNext

Return to Pop Culture