20th Century Ghost

Postby joe_hill on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:22 am

Dana,

I don't know why yours wouldn't be numbered. That's curious. Maybe I'll drop Pete Crowther an email and ask if its possible some went out unnumbered.

CeeJay, I don't see anything off the resale of my book through eBay or Abe or any other similar site.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:27 am

Thanks Joe. I got mine from Pete and it's beautiful. You've signed it and Christopher Golden signed it, but in the space where it says the number of the book, it's blank.

I'm curious too, and no offense meant, but it really doesn't matter to me that it isn't numbered. I just wanted the book; and like I said, I would never sell it, so it's all cool.
Dana_Jean

aww

Postby mylife4usk on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:42 pm

joe_hill wrote:Dana,

I don't know why yours wouldn't be numbered. That's curious. Maybe I'll drop Pete Crowther an email and ask if its possible some went out unnumbered.

Oh, this happened to me one time! I just now remembered. :shock: I emailed them, gave them my order # and they confirmed that it should have been a particular number so they said to go ahead and write it in the blank space.

CeeJay, I don't see anything off the resale of my book through eBay or Abe or any other similar site.

Well,THAT ain't right, man. Not 'tall. :(
Joe Hill's, uh...#1 fan, CJ

"If I'm in a buttload of pain, I need a buttload of pills."
Gregory House, Finding Judas episode
mylife4usk

Postby Patrick on Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:30 am

This is the book that convinced me to read Heart Shaped Box. I love these stories.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Nerak on Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:14 pm

Amazon has a pre-order shipping date for the US edition of 20th Century Ghosts of Oct. 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:http://www.amazon.com/20th-Century-Ghosts-Joe-Hill/dp/0061147974/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/102-2690454-3804149?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173982789&sr=8-3

Joe has been holding out on us!!! :evil:
Nerak

Postby TLee on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:27 pm

I found a paperback of 20th Century Ghosts at PSPublishing. I couldn't wait till Oct. for Amazon to have it. I'm so stoked to have a new fav author Joe. I've been a fan of your dads since the 70's. Holy crap, I guess I may have just started reading..lol jk
Sooner or later the dead catch up....joe_hill
TLee

Postby joe_hill on Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:55 pm

Yeah - I was waiting for my publisher to give the thumbs-up before I said anything, but I guess if it's on Amazon it must be okay to talk. 20TH CENTURY GHOSTS oughta be out by mid-October.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby Patrick on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:32 pm

Sweeeeeeet!

Patrick

UK vs. US

Postby Patrick on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi Joe,

Will the U.S. release be identical to the U.K. release in terms of the stories included or will there be any variation in the story list?

Just wondering. Thanks.
- Patrick

Patrick

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:38 am

Hey Everybody!! Finished 20thCG last night around 11pm. Couldn't sleep for at least an hour after. Couldn't stop thinking about it. I have to go to work now, but I promise a full report soon. I just had to tell you, Joe...it is an amazing collection. I loved every story. I can't wait to read something else of yours. Finding a new writer you like is so exciting. I'll read everything you publish. Thanks again, Joe!!!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Rebecca on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Rebecca wrote:
joe_hill wrote:Rebecca,

It usually takes 3 - 6 weeks for the book to work its way across the Atlantic.

Cheers Joe, I look forward to seeing it in my letterbox. :)

Spot on with your prediction, Joe. It arrived on Saturday, making the journey in just about 4 weeks. I was so excited to see it, I think I scared my step-son out of his Playstation-induced haze. :D
Rebecca

What Can I Say???

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:14 pm

I've been thinking all day about what I was going to say about 20thCG and I realized that some of what I want to say and ask about it might spoil it for those who haven't read it. I don't want to give anything away and yet I am so full of questions and comments! I'm not sure I can really say which is my favorite story...I love them all for different reasons. "Pop Art" was beautiful and poignant. "My Father's Mask" was enjoyably creepy and left me with a lot of questions. "You Will Hear the Locust Sing" was a neat twist on Kafka...I actually liked Joe's story better. (Hope none of my English profs read this board!) In several stories, it's almost like Joe leaves the ending up to you and I think that is so interesting..."In the Rundown", "Best New Horror" and "The Widow's Breakfast" are some examples. "Dead Wood" is a poem. But if you put a gun to my head, I have to say, my favorite story is "Voluntary Committal". I wish I could say why, but I really am afraid to spoil it for anyone. Christopher Golden says in the introduction, "I can say that if it were possible to scour from my mind the memory of having read these stories, I would happily do so, just so that I could have the pleasure of reading them again for the first time." I would do that. And I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't had a chance to read them. Hope I didn't. Just keep in mind for those of you who haven't read 20thCG that you are in for a MAJOR treat. I haven't read a new writer this good in at least 20 years...maybe longer. On a side note, I checked our computer at work and 20thCG will be available through B&N when it is released. I put it on the short list and I will promote it heavily. I have to say, Joe...I'm in awe of your talent.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby sybil on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:12 pm

betsy boo....do a new thread with the subject like this:

WARNING!!! 2CG spoilers below - don't read if you haven't read it!

then do this:
and post whatever you like...those of us who have read it can join you in discussing, and those who haven't will know not to read unless they WANT it spoiled. (some ppl don't care, which i do NOT understand!)
sybil

Postby joe_hill on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:36 am

Patrick,

The final shape and form of the US edition is still up in the air, but it's coming together pretty quickly. There was one story that didn't make it into the PS edition - I tinkered with it for too long, until it was too late to squeeze it into the book. So there's a pretty good chance that one will be in the US version. Assuming it works out, I'd be a pretty happy guy, since thematically it fits well with the other stories.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby sybil on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:24 am

oh goodie - i'll have to get that edition, too, then.
sybil

PreviousNext

Return to Joe Hill Message Board