What's the best book you've read so far this year?

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:42 am

Lou Sytsma wrote:Duma Key. That's what the Wireman says. :D

Best book so far this year (2008)...yes!!! Duma Key. Gotta love the Wireman! :D
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby foxslady on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Definitely DUMA KEY

Barb
wrinkles are left over smiles
foxslady

Postby LauraK on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:46 pm

I feel like going "Baaahhh" but I also choose Duma Key. LOVED it!

A friend recently recommended World War Z.....that's definitely next after I finish the Dexter books. :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby demorganakamark on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:36 pm

OK, a couple people here have me excited to read DUMA KEY...so, i guess that will be next..
OH, poisonlilly......looking at ur quote(donnie darko)...have u seen SOUTHLAND TALES.......richard kelly's 2nd movie...the box will be his third
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Paul_Campbell on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:58 am

This is where the whole Groundhog Day and The Butterfly Effect shtick started. Ray Bradbury hinted at it in his short story "A Sound of Thunder". Here Ken Grimwood kicks it into high gear. 'Nuf said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_%28novel%29
Paul_Campbell

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:06 am

Paul Campbell wrote:This is where the whole Groundhog Day and The Butterfly Effect shtick started. Ray Bradbury hinted at it in his short story "A Sound of Thunder". Here Ken Grimwood kicks it into high gear. 'Nuf said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_%28novel%29

Oh wow! I have this book! I loved it! I read it years ago and found it fascinating. There's a similar theme in "The Time Traveler's Wife", but I enjoyed "Replay" more. I don't think I read anything else by Grimwood...I'm gonna have to look him up. Maybe I'll read "Replay" again, too.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:55 am

why does SK like the number 19( i know that its a prime number).
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby "Heart-Shaped" on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:03 pm

Blaze by Stephen King
Heart-warming, creepy, funny, sad, all the makings of a great book.
"Sometimes the dead catch up..."

"The dead pull the living down..."

Joe Hill - "Heart-Shaped Box"
"Heart-Shaped"

Postby dmsteyn on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:02 pm

I've got both Blaze and Duma Key waiting on the backburner while I finish some other reading, but you guys might persuade me to kick them up the 'to be read' list.

Best read this year? Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. Hands down. No description of mine can do it justice, but try to imagine a fantasy with sci-fi elements mixed, with a remorseless torturer who admits that he is, 'in some way, insane' as main character. Beautifully written, too.
Of the trail of ink there is no end.
dmsteyn

Postby jodi on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:08 pm

demorganakamark wrote:why does SK like the number 19( i know that its a prime number).

You have read the DT series, right?

He was struck by a cuckoo on June 19th, 1999...

I'm not sure if it's a matter of liking the number 19, maybe more of the significance of it.
I heart
jodi

Postby sybil on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:00 pm

hey, read duma key NOW!! seriously, you won't regret it!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby This_Girl on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:12 pm

demorganakamark wrote:why does SK like the number 19( i know that its a prime number).

It is written out in detail in Dark Tower series. I don't remember which one in particular...but he goes into the significance of 19 in the DT character's lives...and our own...I just know if & when I re-read some of the others "linked" with DT I will pick up some 19.
This_Girl

Postby This_Girl on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:23 pm

I hate hate hate to list a Joe Hill or Stephen King for the same reasons others have said "Ass kissers", LOL....Honestly, Duma Key & Blaze were great reads!
I cannot list Mr. Hill's b/c technically I read them in 2007 :oops: But I enjoyed 20CG and can say that (and damn it - Cell) it was the best in 2007 for me.

Ass kissy or not, it's pretty certain my list will include SK b/c he's my favorite and haven't read much by other authors in a while...busy busy busy.

Off topic big time, but I have to say that I am so pissed that I knew Mr. Hill was Stephen's son before I read HSB. I was venturing away from SK when I purchased HSB. I had seen it advertised on myspace and the title caught my attention every time b/c I am a Nirvana fan....so when I saw it on the shelf and read the sleeve....I thought "ah WTH, live a little...no King this time". Also, I noticed it was his first novel, thinking "if i like this 'guy", then at least I have a first edition" and as I am passing the customer service desk the employee sees it in my hand and says "That IS a great novel! I am happy to see people buying it. He's Stephen King's son".
***I'm sorry everyone. In case you haven't noticed...I ramble and never stay on tpic. Sorry***
Hmph, I thought I was venturing....and I was...just not too far from the tree!
This_Girl

Postby Patrick on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:50 am

That's understandable, That_Girl (about not wanting to be seen as a kiss-ass), but it's fair to give credit where credit is due as long as it's honest.

Personally I thought Duma Key was great, but I have to say that No Country For Old Men is the best book I've read so far in 2008.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Happy_Go_Lucky on Sun May 04, 2008 10:30 am

IT is by far the best book I've read this year. I don't think I've ever cared about characters the way I did Bill Denbrough, Richie Tozier, Beverly Marsh, and so on and so forth.
Happy_Go_Lucky

PreviousNext

Return to Novels