Duma Key/Dark Tower Fans?

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Duma Key/Dark Tower Fans?

Postby meridith on Fri May 02, 2008 11:08 pm

of course there are some slight spoilers ahead, read with caution:

Anyone out there happen to read the Dark Tower series and also Duma Key? I'm just about done Duma (70 pages or so left). Lots of Dark Tower references.

The roses painted in the shells, the "19" in an email address, and he thought his buddy looked like a" gunslinger", and when Edgar's buddy went to shoot the alligator, he appeared quite calm apparently.....it fits in with the whole "been there before, done that in another life" that the Dark Tower portrays. Also mentioned the "life is a wheel" saying that was said in "The Stand" and some of the other Dark Tower books. and of course you've got Edgar FREEMANTLE, aka, distant relative to Abagail Freemantle of The Stand most likely!
meridith

Duma key and dark tower

Postby doodoobird on Sat May 03, 2008 1:29 am

I didnt read your whole post because am still reading duma key. Its a great book. The pace of the novel I wouldn't say is slow, just different I guess. I really love the feel of big pink. King really captures a special feeling of tranquility by placing the main character in a big house by a sunny beach, somewhat isolated from the outside world. If you ever felt like getting away from everything you can appreciate that feeling. Not a lonely type of isolation , more of a liberating kind. I've taken a break from reading it (not something i do often) with school work and all, gotta get back into it. Thats what i hate about school, gotta read a bunch of crap that is by no means entertaining. With the exception of some chapters of my history book.
About the dark tower. I consider the series one big book making it my fav novel of all time. The only books i have ever read more then once. I started reading the dark tower when I was in fifth grade back in 93, i think. Very impatient for the latest installments, though i cant really comlain considering that many have probably past on waiting for the damn books. I did notice the number 19 coming up in duma key, if anyone has read the DT they know the significance of that number. WONDERING, did you enjoy the final book of the series? The ending? I loved it. Some have mixed feelings.
Also, does anyone know whats the latest and greatest concerning Joe hill (particularly about upcoming novels?) And if anyone has read 20th century ghost (is that the title?) can you fill me in as far as if its worth a read? I love collections of short stories to keep me occupied in between novels. Later :shock:
doodoobird

Postby This_Girl on Sat May 03, 2008 10:08 am

I have read both and caught a few DT references. I love when that happens :wink:
I need to re-read a few of SK's novels b/c I had read them before reading any of the DT series...I know Bag of Bones is one, and I think there were a few others.
This_Girl

DT

Postby doodoobird on Sat May 03, 2008 5:51 pm

as far as DT references in SK books, they are all over the fucking place. Most are very insignificant, though. I am surprised that the man is still referencing the DT considering that the series is over and all................................................. or is it? :?:
doodoobird

Postby Patrick on Sat May 03, 2008 7:05 pm

I thought Duma Key was a great book. The DT references were just the candy sprinkles on top.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Florida on Fri May 09, 2008 12:32 am

Just finished [/u]Duma Key. What do you guys think that Perse was?
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Return to Novels