The Stand

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

The Stand

Postby Highlander on Sun May 04, 2008 1:23 am

Hi everyone! First post on the board.

Wondering if anyone else here likes this book by Stephen King. It was actually one of the first King books I read, and what turned me on to the apocolyptic genre.
Highlander

Postby val04463 on Sun May 04, 2008 11:02 pm

One of my favs..my absolute fav is The Talisman..
val04463

Postby sybil on Mon May 05, 2008 1:08 pm

hello, highlander! yes, that's way up on my list of all-time great books!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby IT on Mon May 05, 2008 3:07 pm

Yep. One of my all time fav bboks. Absolutely LOVED it.
The BubbleSlinger
IT

Postby meridith on Mon May 05, 2008 5:17 pm

yes it's my #1!!!!! Best book ever. period. :D
meridith

Postby meridith on Mon May 05, 2008 5:26 pm

how old was King when he wrote it? I think his 20s? it is amazing stuff that came out of his imagination. There were other apocalyptic books that came before it, but his character development, descriptions of what happened, the sociology of it all, and of course introducing us to Randall Flagg were brilliant.

Loved Glen's sociological ramblings, and i fell in love with Stu Redman
meridith

Postby sybil on Tue May 06, 2008 8:49 am

i think everyone fell in love with stuey. and yes, glen was a great character.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby LauraK on Tue May 06, 2008 9:05 am

M-O-O-N...........That spells "great book."

It's in my Top 10. Val- my fave King is also The Talisman. :)

Also thought they did a great job with the miniseries. It's another of those that, if I happen upon it on Sci-Fi channel, I must sit and watch it. :) (Even tho I have it on tape, lol.)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Allen on Wed May 07, 2008 2:11 am

I enjoyed book tremendously. I think I read book about 10 years ago.
Allen

Postby Highlander on Wed May 07, 2008 4:19 pm

What does everyone think of the extended version, versus the original? Personally, I actually liked the original a tad better myself, but that's just me.

Also thought they did a great job with the miniseries. It's another of those that, if I happen upon it on Sci-Fi channel, I must sit and watch it. Smile (Even tho I have it on tape, lol.)

I was actually surprised, and quite liked it as well. However, the book absolutely deserves a full length movie. In fact, I believe I have a cast already in mind . . .;)

Speaking of which, this is out of left field, but has anyone ever heard of the band Audioslave? Well they did a song called "I am the Highway", and I swear they were thinking of it when they wrote it. If I happen to meet Stephen King in my lifetime, it's one of the questions I would ask him.
Highlander

Postby IT on Wed May 07, 2008 5:19 pm

Myself, I loved the extended version. I loved all the extras. I hardly ever even remember the first version at all. The second is so much more well rounded and richer in character and content.
The BubbleSlinger
IT

Postby LauraK on Wed May 07, 2008 6:56 pm

Highlander wrote:
I was actually surprised, and quite liked it as well. However, the book absolutely deserves a full length movie. In fact, I believe I have a cast already in mind . . .;)

Lol, dude- a full-length movie would be, at best, 3 hrs. The mini-series was what- 8hrs with commercials? I believe on disc it's about 360 minutes.

Imo, books like The Stand and The Dark Tower need mini-series treatment or concurrently-filmed trilogies, ala Lord of the Rings, IF they ever get made into movies. :)
I admit to being skkeeeeered of what could happen with the DT....... :shock:

LK :)

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Highlander on Wed May 07, 2008 8:11 pm

LauraK wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Lol, dude- a full-length movie would be, at best, 3 hrs. The mini-series was what- 8hrs with commercials? I believe on disc it's about 360 minutes.

Imo, books like The Stand and The Dark Tower need mini-series treatment or concurrently-filmed trilogies, ala Lord of the Rings, IF they ever get made into movies. :)

That's very true, and why I would want a very skilled screenplay writer and directer to do it. If not split up into three movies, than a two and a half one would be okay.
Highlander

Postby meridith on Wed May 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Romero had a script, never made it to screen:
[url]
http://www.subcin.com/stand.html[/url]

I thought Mick Garris's version was pretty awesome though!

Highlander wrote:
LauraK wrote:
Highlander wrote:

That's very true, and why I would want a very skilled screenplay writer and directer to do it. If not split up into three movies, than a two and a half one would be okay.
meridith

Postby meridith on Wed May 07, 2008 10:16 pm

opps didn't get the link in right:

http://www.subcin.com/stand.html
meridith

Next

Return to Novels