Joe -- they say your Dad wrote most of the book...

Postby Barry_Wood on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:52 am

I vote to have this thread removed. The opening posting takes away from the true meaning of this message board and our support and admiration for Joe Hill. Let's unite:

[ x ] I agree.
Barry_Wood

Postby zenbird on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:07 am

Oh I agree....

It seems like the post, the first byt he user, by the way, was meant to be either inflammatory or made by a wannabe journalist who can't score an actual interview.

True this Board is for everyone, and what kind of people would we be if we censored what was posted here?

Let Joe's silence speak for him.
zenbird

Of Two Minds

Postby mark_james on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:59 am

It seems like the post, the first byt he user, by the way, was meant to be either inflammatory or made by a wannabe journalist who can't score an actual interview.

I agree 100%. And I also agree that we shouldn't censor such responses, because, due to Joe's famous parentage, such disparaging, ignorant statements are, unfortunately, inevitable.

However, I will say this. Anyone who knows anything about writing, or who have the masochistic tendencies necessary to be good at it, will recognize the fallacies put forth by "horror fan".

And, I'm allowed to say that last bit about masochistic tendencies, because I suffer from the writing bug.

Besides, where would we be if we censored things we didn't like, simply because we didn't like them? Imagine all the good literature we would have been deprived of if social critics like Dickens or Tolstoy or HG Wells had been censored because the views they offered of society's flaws were somewhat scathing.

Barry, this isn't meant to you personally, but, rather speaks to the entire issue of censorship. I hope you take it that way.

I'm interested to hear the thoughts of others as to whether they feel this thread or threads like it should be censored.
mark_james

Postby Janice on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:02 am

Naw, I don't think it should be censored. I think it's a sad lesson that lead-based paint has very bad side effects, since it's kind of apparent that Horrorfan has been snacking on paint chips for a while....
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Paint Chips

Postby mark_james on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:24 am

Paint chips, huh?

*nodding sadly*

That explains everything. . .
mark_james

Postby Barry_Wood on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:50 am

Mark, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong many more times in life. You have valid points--and very well written I might add.

Thank you.
Barry_Wood

Postby LauraK on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:54 pm

Since horrorfan has only posted one time- right here- i think that says a lot about the reason he/she/it came here. Envy? Jealousy? Trying to tear down Joe?

It hasn't worked. :)

If Joe wants this thread removed, so be it. If not- I think it's pretty obvious to most all of his fans here that what was alleged is a load of crap. Joe has his own voice and we all heard it loud and clear, no one else's. He's an excellent writer whose work we intend to keep on buying and reading, regardless of what 1 person has to say.

LK

PS- like Mercy said, King still was recognizable as Bachman. When I picked up Thinner (before he was 'outed') I was all angry at this Bachman guy for blatantly copying King's style of writing, his distinctive voice. Lol.

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby joe_hill on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:23 pm

Horrorfan,

I'm not sure there really is a controversy here that needs to be addressed, but just to set you at ease, yeah, I wrote the book. Rewrote it my ownself too.

Thanks, all, for the support and sweet thoughts about H-SB... and for being protective. But I'm okay with someone asking a straight question. Even a vaguely insulting question (and I'm not sure this was meant to insult) is different from an anonymous personal attack, which would usually get wiped right off the board.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby Janice on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:59 pm

If you're not insulted by the question, Joe, then I'll try not to be. But we *are* a protective lot.

And I still shake my fist in Horror Fan's general direction.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby val04463 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:52 pm

I will always think that Horror Fan is a Poopy Head....
val04463

Postby LauraK on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:09 pm

You're a class-act, Joe.

Lol, you guys are cracking me up!

*Laura shakes her fist at that poopy-head horrorfan, then farts in his general direction!*

LK :P

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Barry_Wood on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:43 pm

That's great, Joe.

:D

Barry
Barry_Wood

Postby mark_james on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:44 pm

I'm not sure there really is a controversy here that needs to be addressed

sweet.
mark_james

Postby grasking on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:31 pm

Did anyone other than Joe actually read what Horrorfan wrote, or did you just read the headline? He was asking how much of a role Joe's father played in the process of creating this novel.
Nothing wrong with that.
grasking

Postby Patrick on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:38 pm

grasking wrote:Did anyone other than Joe actually read what Horrorfan wrote, or did you just read the headline? He was asking how much of a role Joe's father played in the process of creating this novel.
Nothing wrong with that.

I did. I had hoped that was apparent in my response (second post in the thread). :)
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Joe Hill Message Board