My Love Story/Review of Heart-Shaped Box

Joe's first novel.

Re: My Love Story/Review of Heart-Shaped Box

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:06 pm

I think what bothered me about what you said Ben was that JD put alot of thought and effort into his response to what you said. I think directness is a wonderful quality...I just think that there are ways to be direct with people without putting them down. The "arrogant" comment I made was because you obviously think you know more about the truth behind Joe's book than anyone else and therefore you were very dismissive towards JD's ideas. If you don't have time to be polite while you're disagreeing, perhaps you should wait til you do have the time.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby val04463 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:35 pm

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
:lol: :lol: Just a little bit!!
val04463

Postby BentheWriter on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:31 pm

I don't believe there is objective "truth" behind any fiction, at least not in the practical sense, unless it's from the author or directly from the text itself. Since we can't know the mind of the writer, nor is any of us the Grand High Judge of All Things Literary, everything else is just interpretation.

Which we can argue.

Rationally. Calmly.

To bring emotion into the issue is nonsensical. I respect Jason's opinion just as I respect Betsy's.

To be clear.

If I call you a, "Poop head," then you can assume I'm putting you down. Otherwise, it's best to stick to substantive discussion.
Which Ben? Ben the Writer.
http://www.benthewriter.com
BentheWriter

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:49 am

I'm glad you say you respect Jason's opinion, Ben. It didn't seem that way by your response and yes, I was reacting emotionally. As I have stated, I am an emotional person and if I think someone is being disrespected I have to say something. And I can't really blame Jason for taking what you said personally--I would've, too. I understand that as a writer you probably have a lot more knowledge about the process than the average reader and I respect your opinion very highly. I just hope that when people here who are not writers have something to say, you could ease up a bit on the tone of your response. I don't see a whole lot of difference between calling someone a "poop-head" and saying what they wrote was "extraneous"...yes, "poop-head" is worse, but not by much.

I hope nothing I've said here is offensive to you. I like reading what you have to say. I think from what I've read, you're a pretty good writer and I really do enjoy seeing your take on Joe's writing. I also like hearing what Jason has to say because he's smart and pretty darn funny. I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable about expressing their opinion here...I'm a reader, not a writer. I might find it inhibiting to express myself if I thought I was going to be graded. Do you see what I mean?

Betsy_Boo

Postby BentheWriter on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:05 am

Nope! YOU'RE A STUPID HEAD.

Yessum, I do.

But for the record, I wasn't calling his OPINION extraneous, I was accepting those things as true, but saying they were extraneous to the object of discussion, that being the essential plot as proposed to me, originally addressed in my blog.

But enough of that. We can all agree that it was a good book, and that I am the smartest person on the planet.

Also, that I am good at sex.
Which Ben? Ben the Writer.
http://www.benthewriter.com
BentheWriter

Postby jodi on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:14 am

Haha! Ben you make me laugh, they way you ended that post. I've read some of your blog too...your random sexual references at the end of your posts...LOL!!!
I heart
jodi

Postby sybil on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:39 am

aaah, now we're playing nice......

and i agree with betsy - i'm a reader, not a writer, and i also enjoy hearing other opinion.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby val04463 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:08 pm

'specially at the end...
val04463

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:53 pm

I would agree with you guys, but it has been a while...to the best of my recollection sex is good! I think. :lol:

And thank you Ben...I understand where you're coming from now. The important thing is we all agree that HSB is a great book. After all that's why we're here, eh?

Betsy_Boo

Postby Jason_Davidson on Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:59 pm

Hey everyone. haven't been able to pop in the last few days because I've been busy with orientation activities--stuffs moving along quickly: I start next tuesday :shock:

as for the discussion at hand, I don't have much more to add. There's a difference in opinion between myself and you, Ben. I am not a writer, but would like to consider myself fairly literate and thoughtful. My intention in the first post was to explore what I consider an interesting plot device in the novel, and not argue about the mechanics of how that device fit into the architechture of the novel over all. If you consider what I have to say as extranious and full of "inanities" so be it. not much I can do about that.
Jason_Davidson

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:41 pm

Jason_Davidson wrote:Hey everyone. haven't been able to pop in the last few days because I've been busy with orientation activities--stuffs moving along quickly: I start next tuesday :shock:

as for the discussion at hand, I don't have much more to add. There's a difference in opinion between myself and you, Ben. I am not a writer, but would like to consider myself fairly literate and thoughtful. My intention in the first post was to explore what I consider an interesting plot device in the novel, and not argue about the mechanics of how that device fit into the architechture of the novel over all. If you consider what I have to say as extranious and full of "inanities" so be it. not much I can do about that.

Good Luck JD! :D

I hope all this won't keep you from hanging out here. I really like you and enjoy your comments. You are "literate and thoughful" and very funny, too. I know you'll be busy, but please come by when you can. Mr. Yuck will be waiting! :mrgreen:

Betsy_Boo

Postby sybil on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:04 pm

yeah, jason - don't let it keep you from coming around. like betsy, i've enjoyed you, too.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Jason_Davidson on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:09 pm

thanks everyone. don't worry--a little disagreement won't keep me from coming around. now my call schedule is a different story entirely...we'll see how this new routine will sit (i've been basically doing nothing since late april)
Jason_Davidson

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:39 pm

Jason_Davidson wrote:thanks everyone. don't worry--a little disagreement won't keep me from coming around. now my call schedule is a different story entirely...we'll see how this new routine will sit (i've been basically doing nothing since late april)

Then I bet you're ready to rock! :D

Betsy_Boo

Previous

Return to Heart-Shaped Box