Joe -- they say your Dad wrote most of the book...

Postby Janice on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:21 am

Grasking:

...that either your Dad ghost-wrote or at least heavily edited much of it. One woman even claims it's a conspiracy on your Dad's part to insure that at least one of his kids will continue the "Horror Dynasty" after he's gone

C'mon now, how flippin' rude is that? You can dress it up with all the pretty words and polite inquiries that you want, but it's still derogatory as hell to even pose those 'theories' to Joe. What's next? Are irate anti-fans going to be placing him on the grassy knoll, too?
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby Patrick on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:32 am

grasking wrote:...He was asking how much of a role Joe's father played in the process of creating this novel. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree, if he had asked it the way you paraphrased it. That's why I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my response.

But, as long as we're paraphrasing, honestly the original post comes across more along the lines of:

"They say you are the Milli Vanilli of the literary world, how much truth is in that?"

Yeah, I don't see why anyone got their hackles up.
Last edited by Patrick on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Mercy on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:47 am

Nicely phrased response Joe. You are definently one classy guy.
Mercy

Postby veruca on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:25 am

val04463 wrote:I never heard one rumor like that or even thought about his Dad rewriting...The styles seem very different to me..and do you not read King books? The last thing he would do is try to Bullshit readers..he is a good,honest man with incredible integrity. And Joe is a man who has stories to tell, not stories to Sell...I think in a case like this it takes a dishonest person to suspect others of such things...

I think this just about sums it up. I have only read heart shaped box so I cant say . But why would he intentionally leave out his last name? He isnt riding his dad's coatails , seems like some people are implying . He is a great writer he can make himself known all by himself.
veruca

Postby aaron2010 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:27 am

annnnnd CUT !

Postby dwenglish on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:39 pm

I suppose it's inevitable that someone will ask that question. Remember back when some people suggest that Stephen King wrote Tabitha's books?

The answer, though, lies in Joe's writing. Most of us can read a few pages of Stephen King and know without a doubt it is Stephen King. When I read Joe's work I don't hear King. Instead, I hear a voice that is uniquely Joe's.

Darrin
dwenglish

Postby sybil on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:59 am

Remember back when some people suggest that Stephen King wrote Tabitha's books?

WTH?! i never heard that! it had to be a TOTAL poopy-head to think that.
and they obviously never read both author's work.
sybil

nah.

Postby KarenFT on Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:48 pm

I hadn't heard the rumors that Stephen King wrote this book and don't believe it for a minute. While there are similarities to King's earlier books, I doubt they are due to any family connection. Any good writer is a reader as well, and if you read the classic authors in your genre, you are bound to be influenced by them. You SHOULD be influenced by them--what makes them good is what works for readers.

Joe Hill has his own voice. His descriptive writing is as good if not better than King's, but the internal monologues and thinking of the characters are totally different. King's characters have thoughts that often follow a "stream of consciousness" mode with lots of repetition (in my opinion, way too much in recent books--I had to put Lisey's Story aside because I couldn't tolerate another sighting of the word "smucking). Joe's characters have more traditional thought processes--although Jude's thoughts were far from traditional.

Joe Hill is obviously a good author in his own right with a promising future.
"She who laughs, lasts."
KarenFT

Postby grasking on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:23 pm

Some of you are being a little too sensitive. It doesn't bother Joe.
I think the main purpose of Horrorfan's post was to stir up trouble.
grasking

Postby val04463 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:25 pm

And he /she did...I have never understood that mentality....I have no patience for teasing or stirring up trouble....To say something hatefull and mean just for the sake of arguement is ignorant. In My Opinion!!
val04463

Postby Charlie on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:19 pm

Wow. That's bout all I can say except that you gave a very polite and direct answer to a very direct question Joe.

Funny that family members that, lets say, play the same sport or have seperate singing or acting careers don't hafta put up with this kinda questioning.

Did your brother really make that touchdown for ya?
Was it really your dad that played that role as you and won that Oscar?

Writing is very private and is therefore much easier to question. We don't actually see them create the works.
I applaud those who can put these most private of thoughts and creations out for the world to pick apart. I have too fragile of an ego to do such a thing except to very close friends.

Crud, I guess I did have something to say after all.
Last edited by Charlie on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A happy day makes for short conversations, while tragic days can fill shelves.

"...so we crashed the gate doin' 98 sayin' let them truckers roll 10-4..." C.W. McCall
Charlie

Postby sybil on Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:00 pm

good point, charlie. LOL - you always have something to say!

the original poster was just some old troll. possibly made up the whole story, even.
sybil

Postby ajw2910 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:17 pm

I think they presented a question in a fairly decent manner and asked for a response. Nothing trollish about it. I think some folks have their panties on a bit too tight.

Tony
ajw2910

Postby Janice on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:42 pm

<growl>

Hey, let's leave Sybil's panties out of this, huh? :twisted:
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby LauraK on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:43 pm

ajw2910 wrote:I think they presented a question in a fairly decent manner and asked for a response. Nothing trollish about it. I think some folks have their panties on a bit too tight.

Tony

Mayhap you haven't encountered too many trolls, then.

If this person sincerely wanted to know....why have they not been back?

1 post. This was it.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

PreviousNext

Return to Joe Hill Message Board