thanks for inspiration

thanks for inspiration

Postby wendy on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:39 pm

Joe,

I went to a book signing of yours at Toadstool in Milford NH. I asked you to write something inspirational in my copy of your book 20th Century Ghosts because I was going to attempt the NaNoWriMo challenge (write a 50K novel in the 30 days of November). You wrote “The clock is ticking Get going and write that novel”.

The month of November is over and with your book opened up to that page by my computer I was able to complete the challenge and be a 2007 NaNoWriMo winner.

It was my first attempt at fiction and although I had prepared a detailed outline of where I thought the story should go, the characters took me down entirely different paths.

It was a lot of fun, a great learning experience and showed me that with focus and determination, I can pretty much do anything.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement. Best wishes.

Wendy
wendy

Postby Dana_Jean on Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:13 pm

Good job Wendy on that NaNoWriMo win! I couldn't do it. I got 17,000+ a few words, but it all just sounded so dumb. I just can't write fiction so kudos for finishing yours.

Now, edit it and clean it up and submit it to a publisher! That's the next step. Good luck.
Dana_Jean

Re: thanks for inspiration

Postby doodoobird on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:52 pm

DONT EVERY TRY TO OVER PLOT A STORY. NEVER WORKS OUT THAT WAY. THE WAY I DO IT IS, HAVE A GENERAL IDEA OF A BEG MID END AND JUST GO WITH IT. I FIND THAT THE 'MAGIC' IS IN WHERE THE CHARACTERS TAKE YOU.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:39 pm

[quote="wendy"]Joe,

I went to a book signing of yours at Toadstool in Milford NH. I asked you to write something inspirational in my copy of your book 20th Century Ghosts because I was going to attempt the NaNoWriMo challenge (write a 50K novel in the 30 days of November). You wrote “The clock is ticking Get going and write that novel”.

The month of November is over and with your book opened up to that page by my computer I was able to complete the challenge and be a 2007 NaNoWriMo winner.

It was my first attempt at fiction and although I had prepared a detailed outline of where I thought the story should go, the characters took me down entirely different paths.

It was a lot of fun, a great learning experience and showed me that with focus and determination, I can pretty much do anything.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement. Best wishes.

Wendy[/quote]

Gosh, Wendy...I'll bet it feels good! Congratulations! I do hope you will attempt publication and let us know what's happening with it. And at the risk of repeating myself, Joe is a super nice guy. Probably the most generous and thoughtful of any author I've ever come across.
Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:20 pm

I'll second that BB.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:38 pm

[quote="demorganakamark"]I'll second that BB.[/quote]

And you got to meet him in the flesh, so you would know better than me! Lucky guy!
Betsy_Boo

Return to Joe Hill Message Board