Joe -- they say your Dad wrote most of the book...

Postby mark_james on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:16 pm

1 post. This was it.

'nuff said
mark_james

Postby ajw2910 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:50 am

Not sure they would want to come back the way everyone jumped down their throat. Just my opinion.
ajw2910

Postby LauraK on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:13 am

Joe didn't. If hf was serious- then why not address Joe?

It was a troll.

Just my opinion.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby ajw2910 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:54 am

Fair enough.
ajw2910

Postby sybil on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:50 am

yeah, leave my panties out of this. they're plenty roomy. :x
i'm 50 years old - i am ALL about comfort! :lol:
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:52 am

Comfort. Oh me too. None of that clothesline up my ass. What if I was to shit my pants? I need something there to catch it. Otherwise, it would squeeze right past that thread and plop on the floor. So not a good look.

I so admire that astronaut lady with her diapers. You Go Girl!
Dana_Jean

Postby Janice on Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:41 pm

Dana Jean wrote:Comfort. Oh me too. None of that clothesline up my ass. What if I was to shit my pants? I need something there to catch it. Otherwise, it would squeeze right past that thread and plop on the floor. So not a good look.

I so admire that astronaut lady with her diapers. You Go Girl!

Oh my God, I about fell off my chair laughing. Guess it's a good thing I've never had to worry about your hypotheticals.

I may have to shoot myself if ever I find myself seriously considering the need for adult diapers instead of thongs.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby sybil on Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:49 pm

thongs, ugh! i spent my childhood picking cheap cotton panties out of my ass...i sure ain't putting them there on purpose at this late date. i do kinda miss my 20-some year commando stage, tho.

nope, no VPL's there.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby crescentmoon on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:45 pm

Well this is the way I saw/read it. When I began Heart Shaped Box for about 10 pages I kept feeling something was wrong. Really out of sync. Then realized I was NOT reading Stephen King! lol! Duh! While they have some in common, I think they're writing styles to be very different. Stephen King is heavier reading. Joe's book I just flowed thru it. I think it comes with years of writing. Both are great in their OWN RIGHT.

Yeah I think that was shitstirring post myself. He could have emailed him privately otherwise.
crescentmoon

Postby JodyIrvine on Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:15 pm

I did know that Joe Hill was Stephen King's son because they did this big interview in the Times here in England with Joe and even if they hadn't mentioned SK it would have been obvious to any SK reader because of the author 'photo. JH looks just like his dad.

As a Stephen King fan I was interested and read the piece, which included an excerpt from HSB. From reading that I knew this book would be a good one and I bought it to find out what happened next.

I will admit I did buy it partly to see how JH and SK compare and I think a lot of other people will admit the same thing too if they are honest. But I also think they will agree with me when I say that the next time I buy a JH book it will be because JH wrote it and I couldn't care less who his dad is. HSB was that sort of book and JH really proved himself to be a credible author in his own right with it.

SK is still my favourite though - sorry JH, but I've been reading SK since I was 13 and even once cancelled a date to read his latest book instead so he's had a head start advantage on you.

I think that HSB would have been a big hit anyway and I don't believe JH needs SK to pull any strings or ghost write (no pun intended) anything for him. He might get a bit more attention than the average second time author but he can't avoid that really and it isn't his fault.

I don't know what it's like in the states but here in England the media pull people to pieces for anything and the children of celebrities get a rough deal. If they succeed it's because of their parents, if they fail it's because of their parents and it isn't fair.

If I were you I'd ignore the articles you read as either jealousy or just some made up crap to sell a few papers and make your own mind up by reading HSB and a couple of SK books to compare it to.
JodyIrvine

Postby Janice on Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Why, oh why won't this thread die?
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Re: Joe -- they say your Dad wrote most of the book...

Postby MadamMack on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:01 pm

HorrorFan wrote:Hi Joe,

I have come across a lot of stuff on the internet where people claim you didn't really write Heart-Shaped Box, that either your Dad ghost-wrote or at least heavily edited much of it. One woman even claims it's a conspiracy on your Dad's part to insure that at least one of his kids will continue the "Horror Dynasty" after he's gone. I don't know how much of that to believe so I thought I'd go straight to the source and just ask.

How big a part DOES your Dad play in your writing process? I assume he's like your first reader, right? Does he also do any re-writing for you?

I know it must be difficult to be working under such a huge shadow and make it in your own right. But you probably can also understand why so many people are quick to think you've had unfair advantages. And if, rather than getting unduly irate or dismissive, you could just address the controversy once and for all and lay it all to rest?

I believe Joe wrote HSB. I think that they have a strong father-son realationship and because of that I'm sure Stephen gives Joe his thoughts on many issues just as any other father would do for his son.

I don't give a shit about what people say. I believe HSB to be Joe's work.

Stephen's writing is timeless . . .I believe Joe's will be too. Hell, Tabitha is one damn good writer too.

I'd say it's in Joe's bones to write well.
Yes, it's me!
MadamMack

Postby Patrick on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Janice wrote:Why, oh why won't this thread die?

You... complete... me.

"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby sybil on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:28 am

LOL @ janice and DJ.

sorry janice...but i just have to say that harry connick, jr. was here this week. but i'm sure it was actually his father who was singing. :wink:
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Janice on Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:44 pm

It's quite possilbe that all that work I've been doing recently has fried my brain. I have no idea what you're talking about, Sybil.

Huh??? :oops:

Janice

PreviousNext

Return to Joe Hill Message Board