Be careful!

Wipe your feet on the mat and come on in - Keyhouse is waiting.

Re: Be careful!

Postby NewEnglandGothic on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:55 pm

A helpful hint to avoid getting second printings with issues #1-3 is the eye is red on the lightbulb in the IDW indicia and the cover picture has more color contrast with second prints. So the best way to check your issue if it is already bagged and boarded, and if you have a red eye you have a second print.
NewEnglandGothic

Postby Lollipop4598 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:33 pm

Barry_Wood wrote:I was just putting my Locke & Key comic books in a good box -- you see I've never collected comic books before except Joe's Spiderman comic book that a kindred soul obtained for me a few years ago. I don't if I should lie comic books face down or stand them up or what. So I found a box in the garbage room of my building and decided to stand them up. They are in plastic wraps, thanks to the comic bookstore. And a white thin board in each.

With Locke & Key I decided to buy 5 copies of each comic to help Joe, Gabe, even the little comic bookstore in Halifax -- show support, you know? [Wouldn't Oprah be pleased?] ... well, that's bullshit, I wanted them for my own Joe Hill collection. Anyway, I just noticed two of my #2 and two of my #3 are second printings. I had not even thought about checking for that when the comic bookstore contacted me each time to let me know my comic books had arrived.

LOL. I don't think Joe Hill needs much help in the financial department. His dads income alone would see to that. im guessing that the Kings are rolling in it.
Lollipop4598

Postby Lollipop4598 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:39 pm

Barry_Wood wrote:I was just putting my Locke & Key comic books in a good box -- you see I've never collected comic books before except Joe's Spiderman comic book that a kindred soul obtained for me a few years ago. I don't if I should lie comic books face down or stand them up or what. So I found a box in the garbage room of my building and decided to stand them up. They are in plastic wraps, thanks to the comic bookstore. And a white thin board in each.

With Locke & Key I decided to buy 5 copies of each comic to help Joe, Gabe, even the little comic bookstore in Halifax -- show support, you know? [Wouldn't Oprah be pleased?] ... well, that's bullshit, I wanted them for my own Joe Hill collection. Anyway, I just noticed two of my #2 and two of my #3 are second printings. I had not even thought about checking for that when the comic bookstore contacted me each time to let me know my comic books had arrived.

I don't think Joe Hill, son of Stephen King needs any financial help. Im pretty certain he is the wealthiest person on this board. As for the little comic store I always try to purchase at little stores if I can. I read a part of the Spiderman comic online. I don't think thats Joes style. L&K is more his game.
Lollipop4598

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:43 pm

I think that buying 5 issues of a comic supports more of the media and the content more than anything else.

One more thing. I dont think that anyone wants to depend on anyone except themselves for the success or failures that they have in this world.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Gabriel on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:48 pm

demorganakamark wrote:I think that buying 5 issues of a comic supports more of the media and the content more than anything else.

One more thing. I dont think that anyone wants to depend on anyone except themselves for the success or failures that they have in this world.

Indeed!
That's the spirit... and by the way, thanks to everyone for your support on L&K, it's really important for us.
Best,
G-
Gabriel

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Gabriel wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:I think that buying 5 issues of a comic supports more of the media and the content more than anything else.

Indeed!
That's the spirit... and by the way, thanks to everyone for your support on L&K, it's really important for us.
Best,
G-

With the quality of the work that is being produced( writing & art). Its easy to support.
Thank you G & Joe for giving us something worth supporting and talking about.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Shane on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:16 pm

Lollipop4598 wrote:I don't think Joe Hill, son of Stephen King needs any financial help. Im pretty certain he is the wealthiest person on this board. As for the little comic store I always try to purchase at little stores if I can. I read a part of the Spiderman comic online. I don't think thats Joes style. L&K is more his game.

I think you might have keyed (yeah, pun intended) in on the wrong notion with that: it's not about anyone needing financial help one way or another. It's about supporting a format, and specifically a story. I don't know if you've ever been devoted to a television show, but sometimes, if the numbers aren't there to support the production, the network will pull the plug on it, and the story will just stop. Same thing with comics -- it doesn't matter who is writing them, if they're not selling, they're not going to last long. I don't care if Bill Gates is writing one... if they're not moving, it's over.

Books themselves are quite different, but movies based upon them are not. Look at Philip Pullman's adaptation; it didn't perform as well as hoped, and subsequently caused the remaining entries of His Dark Materials to be in doubt.

No one is suggesting fans purchase multiple copies of issues to ensure the continuation of the series, because no one person can do so much... but, I think that was closer to the idea than making sure Joe gets paid.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm very grateful that L&K is popular and has been nominated for awards. As I recall, L&K started out as a very limited series...wasn't it originally only going to be 6 issues or something? I think they increased the number of issues when they saw how well it was received. I would've been really upset if the "plug had been pulled" on this story!

Regarding money=success? Well, I hate the idea of that. I wish we lived in a world where talent and good works made a person feel successful more than money, but I suppose that's unrealistic.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby NewEnglandGothic on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Diamond Comic Distributers didn't have one comic title selling over 100,000 copies for the month of March for the first time, that I can remember. Even though L & K is a independent title and Head Games #2 sold a healthy 9,486 copies, it's the comic book format is slowing down and not turning on the next generation. That's why I pass around my readers everywhere to hook people. Doing this I hooked 25 people who make time during the week or weekend who would never read a comic book to begin with, to pick up the title they like. Young people need to be shown more than ever that comic books are as good as a format as cinema or a PS3 tie-in game, or else they'll go the way of the eight tracks.
NewEnglandGothic

Postby NewEnglandGothic on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:50 pm

I'm not saying comic books will be gone soon either, but Diamond Distributers doesn't carry funny books with print runs of 2,000 anymore now. It wouldn't surprise me if down the road as comic book sales decline, Diamond tightens the screw on more independents.
NewEnglandGothic

Previous

Return to Locke & Key