BEST NEW HORROR -- SPOILERS

Joe's first collection.

Postby Dana_Jean on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Oh hell no I don't think you're copying me. That's cool we were seeing the same things. But, I don't owe you a Coke. Coke sucks ass. I'll owe you a Dr. Pepper instead.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:42 pm

Was Buttonboy a willing participant, that is , did he really lose his soul, so he became a gruesome killer, or was he bad to begin with?

I think he was made to believe he lost his soul. I think the Buttonboy at the end of the story was the same Jim she'd met in the backseat. Is he still around? Or has he been used for food?

What I'm confused about is the brothers. Peter wrote the stories, most likely from real life occurences facilitated by his own family.

The brother who'd worked in Poughkeepsie, Arnold, had 1 arm and a restraining order from his mother. So he wasn't the giant/killer who had captured Buttonhole. When Carroll arrived at Peter's house, he could hear the sound of a bandsaw coming from the carriage house.....wonder who was being cut up? At the end of the story, the 1 armed brother comes out of there and Carroll sees he has chains with hooks hanging from beams, a table saw and a chainsaw. :shock:

The 3'rd brother, the disturbingly tattooed & fat brother, is never named. He could have been the giant and those tattoos speak to his true personality, rather than his outward super-friendly persona. Most serial killers are able to be charming and disarming so they can easily catch their victims off guard, right? He seems to fit the bill. After he'd done his somewhat "normal" bit to get Carroll into the house, he strips down to his chef's outfit, just the creepy jockstrap....

Their kitchen makes me think of the family from Texas Chainsaw Massacre, cooking up body parts.

So to me, they work together to get their victims for more than one purpose: to provide story ideas for Peter, to fulfill the Giant's urges to kill and to provide food.

Poor Mom, huh? :shock:

So much detail and imagery in so few pages. Nicely done, Joe. I like the open-ending, too. I liked that even while he knew he was running for his life, Carroll was exhilarated and felt like this was what he'd lived his life for: this moment. He was the prey and yet he still thought he could escape, knowing what he knew of horror stories.

I don't think he made it, lol.

The Kilrue's knew their end of things much better than he did his.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:01 pm

Nice LK, nice. Good thoughts there.
Dana_Jean

Postby jodi on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:07 am

Iknow I'm a little late in the game, but anyways here's my 2 pennies.

LauraK wrote:
Their kitchen makes me think of the family from Texas Chainsaw Massacre, cooking up body parts.

LK

I kept thinking about TCM too! Even when he was running through the house, and looking in the other rooms.

But I felt that Peter was more or less writing his autobiography rather than using it as story ideas.

just my opinion. :wink:
I heart
jodi

Postby Michael_D on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:14 am

I loved the ending. The thought of a horror fan ending up in a real life horror story was great.
Ooops, I forgot to put down a signature.
Michael_D

Postby meridith on Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:26 pm

I agree, the kitchen was definitly chainsaw massacreish!

The story about Buttonboy somewhat reminded me of the movie "Last House on the Left..." they 3 killers made the 2 teenager girls they kidnapped do things to each other (like make out) and them mutilated them. The ending was also very disturbing, but unlike Kilrues unpublished ending, the parents of one of the girls killed got revenge on the bad guys, so it was not a happy ending, but the bad guys "got what they deserved".

The only thing about Kilrues ending that I wondered about was if the guy pretending to be the cop was blind, how could he read what she was writing on the paper to him? And know it was her? Or is it assumed that the giant guy knew she was coming out and would come over so he quickly told him what to do etc before she heard?

I also liked how Kilrues mailbox said "kil u" or something like that! LOL

Ok the mother tied to the bed was really, really nasty!!!!!!! that was so wrong!

oh one other question I had, he described a smell going into Killrues house as being like man sweat and pancake batter. I asked my husband and was he was like uh, "From-under-cheese?" I guess that would make sense becuase the guy was fat and stinky??? LOL
meridith

Postby meridith on Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:30 pm

thats a good point! I was wondering how they expected him!!

Dana Jean wrote:And what about that creepy Matthew Graham who edited "an odious horror fanzine titled Rancid Fantasies." What did you guys think about his ability to give Eddie so much information? I had this feeling that he was a broker of sorts for Kilrue. Supplying him with opportunities because he just seemed too friendly with Kilrue--and when Eddie drives to the house, he felt like the fat man at the mailbox had been "expecting him." Maybe he was expected because Graham let them know he would be coming?
meridith

Postby Mr._Hex on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:13 am

I greatly enjoyed the last bit of the story, but otherwise it was fairly unremarkable. Buttonboy was still quite chilling, though.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

Postby punkan on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:01 pm

jodi wrote:
But I felt that Peter was more or less writing his autobiography rather than using it as story ideas.

just my opinion. :wink:

Yes! I thought this as well, especially considering Peter's earlier story "Piggies". A mentally ill woman gives birth to a litter of pigs who revert to savagery and fight over the mother's corpse? Sounds like a thinly veiled portrait of the Kilrue family to me.
punkan

Postby miamiheat on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:51 pm

meridith wrote:I agree, the kitchen was definitly chainsaw massacreish!

The story about Buttonboy somewhat reminded me of the movie "Last House on the Left..." they 3 killers made the 2 teenager girls they kidnapped do things to each other (like make out) and them mutilated them. The ending was also very disturbing, but unlike Kilrues unpublished ending, the parents of one of the girls killed got revenge on the bad guys, so it was not a happy ending, but the bad guys "got what they deserved".

The only thing about Kilrues ending that I wondered about was if the guy pretending to be the cop was blind, how could he read what she was writing on the paper to him? And know it was her? Or is it assumed that the giant guy knew she was coming out and would come over so he quickly told him what to do etc before she heard?

I also liked how Kilrues mailbox said "kil u" or something like that! LOL

Ok the mother tied to the bed was really, really nasty!!!!!!! that was so wrong!

oh one other question I had, he described a smell going into Killrues house as being like man sweat and pancake batter. I asked my husband and was he was like uh, "From-under-cheese?" I guess that would make sense becuase the guy was fat and stinky??? LOL

I kind of figured the killer was stalking her, since he'd already mailed her the bloody smiley buttons. He probably watched Cate and waited... :evil:
miamiheat

Postby KingoftheHill on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:53 pm

Okay, I just started 20CG and am through the first story. I'll try not to be repetetive, but mostly just agree with certain points. First off was the dedication page:

To Leanora: We are my favorite story.

I loved that and it really settles me into "knowing" the writer.

The story BNH. I thought it was well written and DID stir up a lot of things in a few pages. Whether the buttonboy kid is the buttonboy cop, I don't know. My theory is no, but it's great that the author left that to our imagination.

Same with the ending. I think Carroll lives--even though the "indications" are that he'll not. And, him sitting in his car while his coat (and keys) are in the house was humorous and scary at the same time.

I love how Joe CAN make our senses work. Seeing, hearing and smelling things as we read them. The sign of a great storyteller! Oh, and yes, the KIL U was brilliant!

All in all, I love a story about a "small press" horror writer and editor. Those books are my true vice.

I want to read this one again, and will do so in the future. Oh, and it was nice to see the nod to dear old dad with the Carrie reference too. :)

I'll try and post as I read the stories. Not much reading this weekend...family's visitin'!

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby KingoftheHill on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:12 pm

poisonlily wrote:It's about time, Hank!! :P

I know!!! lol!

I'm onto 20th Century Ghost now. Creepy as sh!t so far!!! :twisted:

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Re: BEST NEW HORROR -- SPOILERS

Postby Headcase on Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:23 am

I loved this story, disturbing in so many ways. But perhaps the most horried thing were the undertones of Buttonboy.
The fact that Kilrue wrote that the girl somehow enjoyed her ordeal really showed how messed up the author was. I have no doubt that he used similar justifications in his own crimes.
Headcase

Postby Michelle on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:40 am

One of the things that struck me is how much time people who write horror spend trying to prove to people they're normal. The prime example would be, sorry, Stephen King. By all accounts, not a psycho, but a certain percentage of people will stick by the belief that you have to be very messed up to write a certain class of story and that King is perpetually 2 minutes away from pulling a Jack Torrance.

So, there seems to be a certain puckish humor in Joe Hill writing a character who is a writer, and just as messed up as you could conjure in your worst imaginings. Not just because of the King example, but also because he's probably had a few people look askance at him. People give Kilrue a lot of benefit of the doubt, and nobody initially assumes that he's clearly exhibiting his real derangement. The people in the literary journal, not inured or jaded by the horror genre, reacted in a very pure way. Carroll has seen and read most anything, so it took a lot to get a reaction from him, so much so that he missed the warning signs. He had known enough writers to know the norm is relatively well-adjusted people, and so he couldn't see that Kilrue was Abby Normal.

There's a difference between people who are horrified by horror or like it because it makes them uncomfortable and those who are sexually aroused by it. Noonan and, initially, Carroll mistake the latter for the former -- that Kilrue the writer wrote Buttonboy to be something dark instead of something desirable. Buttonboy: A Love Story refers to Cate spending her life moving toward a twisted reunion, but it could also refer to Kilrue being stimulated by his own stories.

I don't know that Kilrue was telling a true story with Buttonboy, but I think he would file it under erotica rather than horror.
Michelle

Postby Wilson_Cruz on Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:45 pm

"BEST NEW HORROR" is the declaration that, in an exceptional way, opens the fire with a history that is too original and where more of the influence of the cinema is felt in Joe, but that this catches for it the oppressive and hyperrealistic style
It is a terrifying story, which in turn has inside another terrifying story (Button Boy), and it is new for me.
Regards from Spain,
Wilson :-)
Wilson_Cruz

Previous

Return to 20th Century Ghosts