Locke & Key rules!

Wipe your feet on the mat and come on in - Keyhouse is waiting.

Re: Locke & Key rules!

Postby LauraK on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Thanks, Gabriel! That was a great interview.....I didn't know you did Land of the Dead! 8) And I'd only read Clive Barker's Great and Secret Show, didn't know it was done in comic or graphic novel form. :oops:
Must look for it.....

You guys focused on that gender change a lot, lol. You made me laugh out loud with the ugly-girl comment. :)

Oooo, an extra tidbit in the collected trade of Headgames, eh? Nice hints you have us for the next arc- Thanks! (You know you don't have to convince us, though! We love every aspect of Locke and Key.)

L&K the mini-series?! 8) Whenever the work is long, I always think a mini-series is better than a movie! That'll be great and something to look forward to in the future....:D

Do you do any work as an architect now, or are you strictly an illustrator/artist?

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby NewEnglandGothic on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:31 pm

Hello Gabriel,

I was wondering during the interview, what was the first comic you ever worked professionally? Thank you.
NewEnglandGothic

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 am

Tomorrow! #6!! Whoo Hooo!
I also saw on-line where the HC of "Head Games" should be out by the end of August. Joe...you gonna do a signing? Pretty please?? With sugar on top??? :)
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:52 am

Hey G...finally had the time to listen to your interview! That was great! I knew you were a really sweet guy, but I didn't know you were so funny! Anyway, thanks for posting the link...I really enjoyed it! :)

Betsy_Boo

Postby Gabriel on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks to everyone, glad you liked the interview. It was nice to talk with these guys that are really enjoying L&K, as you guys here are, too...

About your questions...

LauraK: I started working simultaneously as architect and comic artist, because I could'nt make a living just doing comics at first. I really had short nights back there, but I had the tremendous luck of having the chance of working in very interesting architectural projects, which is hard when you're independant. I also combined it with illustrations for playing cards and also some things for advertising and illustrated books. It was in my third or fourth year in comics, when we did the adaptation of Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show, that I could start working almost exclusevely in comics. In the last years, I've done some architectural jobs, but mainly collaborating in a few projects with my wife, who's a very, VERY talented architect herself... And also in Locke & Key I've been doing a lot of architectural projects, as you have seen....

NewEnglandGothic: My first comic published was an independant work here in Chile, the 12th issue of an anti hero local comicbook named "Diablo", that unfortunately wasn´t available because we had a distribution ´roblem, so I didn't received a penny for that... My very first professional work in comics was with IDW, back in 2002, when we did the comic adaptation of the CSI series.

Best,

G-
Gabriel

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:56 pm

One of the most interesting parts of the interview was when you talked about how your background in architecture and how it translated to your work in comics. I was especially intrigued by your statement that you have made a 3D model of Key House. I'd love to see it!

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks for the answers, Gabriel. How wonderful that not only are you now doing what you love, but you also get to work with your wife collaboratively! Life is good. :D

Yes, your architectural work in L&K is wonderful to see. When I finish reading, I spend a lot of time going back over your art, just looking at/for all of the little details you've put in. And still I've missed clues, lol!!

I, too, would love to see the 3D Key House. :)

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby NewEnglandGothic on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:52 pm

Thank you Gabriel,

I got a copy of CSI #1, this morning. You share company with Tony Moore, Charlie Adlard and Eric Powell as being one of my favorite illustraters of all time. I was just curious how you started out in funny books.
NewEnglandGothic

Postby NewEnglandGothic on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:56 am

My almost flawless collection of Locke & Keys from the first series, Welcome to Lovecraft.

Of course, I have "reader-beater" copies of every graded book I own too :D
NewEnglandGothic

Postby NewEnglandGothic on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 am

Perfect 10 #1's

Absolutely flawless copies

Only 2 exist. I had to sell one though. :(

NewEnglandGothic

Postby NewEnglandGothic on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:09 pm

My almost flawless collection of Locke & Keys from the second series Head Games #1-2,with sketch, signed and Jetpack variants.

NewEnglandGothic

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:28 am

I don't even want to ask how much $ those set you back! Very nice!
And the quilt is lovely too! I do patchwork quilting myself so I love a nicely done quilt!

Betsy_Boo

Postby grasking on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:33 pm

I could never do that to my comics unless I intended to sell them.
grasking

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:54 am

grasking wrote:I could never do that to my comics unless I intended to sell them.

That may be the idea here, g. Did you read about that 10 cent Superman comic that brought in all that money a few months ago? On the other hand, people collect all kinds of different things like stamps or autographs and it may be that NE just wants to keep his comics in good condition. I have an autograph collection that was left to me by my Uncle and I've got them in plastic...not 'cause I'm gonna sell them but because they are important to me.

Betsy_Boo

Postby NewEnglandGothic on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:47 am

I agree most collectors slab their books to sell. I like to slab them to keep them in safe NM/M condition for my future NewEnglandGothics, so they can enjoy the fresh condition of a well written comic. Their generation might not have comic books the way we have them now. My father had a similar form of the OCD too. My uncle said he only turn the pages by his fingertips and store the books by sandwiching two thick pieces of carboard around each EC horror or DC comic he had. I was more corrugated carboard in his collection, but his books were scarily mint after 55 years still and he has no intention of selling them either. I love this book series and have no intention to ever sell my "babies" in the pictures I sent. The L & K #1 CGC 10 is one of my coffin books, LOL. I have to get a 9.9 somewhere to complete the set for my kids. The graded Superman comic that sold was an Action Comics #1 in CGC 6.0. It went for $317,000. :shock:

I highly recommend fans of this series to build up at least a 9.8 graded series set. Because of so many uber-high grade books available(IDW Publishing's hard cardstock covers), most graded copies in 9.8 don't usually go higher than $25 on ebay. They will remain in that condition as long as you don't crack them out. I figure I will always have my reader copies anyway :) . They are great to show safely to friends too. Assembling a collection of signed graded copies can get beautiful too IMHO.

NewEnglandGothic

PreviousNext

Return to Locke & Key