THINNER

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

THINNER

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:29 am

I need a little help here from anyone who has read the book Thinner by SK. If you haven't read it, consider this a

SPOILER:

Over on GoodReads the monthly read in the SK Fan Club is Thinner. When I read this book 25 (!!!) years ago, I always assumed that at the end when Billy finds out that his daughter has eaten the pie with the curse in it, he decided to eat the pie because it would take the curse off of her. Being that the curse was meant for him, it would revert back to him and his daughter would be saved. But most of the other folks who read it believe that everyone who ate the pie would be cursed. This changes my entire perspective of the book...it makes sense that everyone would be cursed, especially since it is a Bachman book, but I still can't let go of my more positive view...that Billy finally gets it; that he understands that he has to take responsibility for his actions. Does anyone out there have an opinion about this?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: THINNER

Postby LauraK on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:07 am

I always thought that she was dead already.....in her bed, along with his wife. He couldn't bear to see her or deal with it and he just did the only thing he thought he could- joined her in death. He was prepared for his wife to die but his daughter too? No....gypsy karma got Billy in the end! I don't think him eating it changed anything for his wife and daughter.

Wow, when you said 25 yrs I had to get my book. I remember when I read it and was mad at this Bachman guy trying to copy Stephen King's writing style...lol. The line I particularly remember (I hope) was in reference to his weight and entering "heart attack country." Made me mad, it did. :D

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:34 am

What you said makes perfect sense, just like the other folks. There's a part of me that doesn't want to give up my original theory, but that's my own need. If I am honest I have to say that you're right and that they were all doomed.

BTW, do you have the original HC? I have been trying to find out who the guy is in the author photo but with no luck. The later Bachman books show a young SK but THINNER has a photo of some guy I've never seen before. Have you heard anything about who that guy is?

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:18 pm

Yes, I do. It's a first ed, too, but the jacket's seen better days and has rips and tears. I've never found copies of the other 4....at least not that I could afford! I just have the trade ed of The Bachman Books.

I went looking and found it! It was HERE

14) Whose picture appears as Richard Bachman in the hardcover release of "Thinner"?
Before answering, I'd just like to point out that this question is in under sufference. Hope you're happy now Bev (and Jon R.). :)

For the millions of you who are eagerly awaiting the answer, here it is:
Richard Manuel, Kirby McCauley's insurance salesman. McCauley was King's agent at the time.

:)

Thanks for making me search...I'd always wondered and if I'd ever heard it before, I'd certainly forgotten.

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:20 am

Thanks LK! I don't know why I couldn't find it myself...probably googled it wrong. That's so funny! That guy sure doesn't look like he sells insurance. I'd love to hear the story of how the photo came about...why they picked him and all. Maybe if I google his name...

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:09 am

Thanks LK! Pretty funny!

Betsy_Boo

Return to Novels