A Novel Question...

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

A Novel Question...

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:47 am

Since I have recently decimated my to-read pile I am in the market for something to read and while I've have plenty of options I have no money to spend on anything that is not absolutely necessary. I'm gonna hit the library this weekend with my TR list hoping to find something. But this got me to thinking...and hence, my question:

Which authors do you HAVE to buy when they release a new book no matter what the cost or the state of your finances? Which do you love, but are willing to wait till their book comes out in paperback?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: A Novel Question...

Postby RyanG on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:31 am

I read Neil Gaiman and Nora Roberts. I don't read Stephen King anymore. I was tired of the censorship at Steve's stupid website. It was REALLY pissing me off. They close the stupid board on weekends too. I'm done with that shit. I'm done with Stephen King. I still read Joe Hill though. He's a much better writer than his father.
RyanG

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:41 am

Geez Ryan...sorry to hear that. I joined that website a while back but I could never figure out how/where to post stuff so I gave up. I guess I know how you feel. I had a similar experience with the Aimee Mann message board. There were a couple of "people" on there who were meaner than junkyard dogs and I left in disgust. For a long time I couldn't listen to her music because of the bad taste these 2 left in my mouth, but eventually I realized that AM had so little to do with the site that she couldn't be blamed. Besides, I really like her music. I hope you will come to the same conclusion...SK really is a wonderful writer.

Which brings me back to the question...SK & Joe are the only 2 authors that I will buy in HC the day their books come out even when I'm broke. I'll skip a few meals or pull out the emergency credit card to buy their books. There used to be others, like Douglas Adams, but unfortunately he has since shuffled off this mortal coil. If I'm not completely broke (but close) I'll buy John Irving, Margaret Atwood & Amy Tan. The rest of my favs I can wait for paperback.

Betsy_Boo

Postby dyetye on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 am

Same here with SK and Joe's books...

I agree with Ryan too. I am on the SK Message Board, and posted a couple different times on his Under the Dome signing tour that I thought the way the Minneapolis location was handling the pre-signed books was a joke, but those posts never made it. I wasn't rude, or cruel, just stating my opninion...
dyetye

Postby prncsspwr on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:23 pm

I definitely run out and buy SK the day a new one is released. I plan on doing the same thing for Horns. Anything else is usually an impulse buy at the used bookstore or something i've been looking for for a while. I was just thinking about this topic Betsy because I used to beat myself up for buying a new book when I have so many on my shelves to read. Then i realized I plan on going back to school which will probably mean dropping down to part time at work and less spending money. Now when i buy a new book or new-to-me, used book (while I can afford it) I just feel like I'm stocking up for the lean times ahead.

I also agree with Ryan about the SK board. I signed up for it about the same time as this board but I've never posted because it seems to have too many rules and be too complicated. I go on when people on this board or GoodReads talk about something happening on that board or when I'm bored and just wanna skim something and there's nothing new here or on Goodreads. Doesn't change how I feel about SK because I think he has little to do with the message board.
prncsspwr

Postby This_Girl on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Stephen King, of course...Joe Hill, and if he would publish ANYTHING now-a-days, JD Salinger. Other than those gentlemen, I don't HAVE to have it on release day. There are a few others that I will get pretty soon after they are released. Honestly, I have been so busy the last 4 years that I haven't read nearly as much as I want to and it kind of depresses me to purchase a book that I know darn well is going to collect a bit of dust before I get to her.

It is rare that I get a paperback. The price is GREAT however, I have never liked 'em. I can be all "I only buy Hardcovers" snooty b/c I haven't purchased a lot of books, hee hee. I have no issues right now saving some money and getting pbacks...besides, if it's a really good one that I want in HC I can wait a bit and either get a used copy or maybe even find it in "Bargain Books"....or dig deep into the pocket and pat cover price.
Wow, sorry for the ramble ramble ramble.
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:13 am

"Stocking up for the lean times ahead." I like that prn! I used to feel guilty about my TR pile too, but I'm definitely in "lean times" right now. When my daughter moved out last week she left a box of YA books that she didn't want and I was scrounging around in there yesterday looking for something...ended up with ARMAGEDDON SUMMER which is actually starting out pretty good.

And TG...the cool thing about the Bargain Bins is you can get HC for cheaper than paperbacks! I love that! And again, don't feel bad about buying a book that you won't be able to read right away. Someday you'll be like me...scrounging through old boxes in a desperate search!

Betsy_Boo

Postby prncsspwr on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:47 pm

I read all but the last 2 Harry Potter books by stealing them off my sister's shelves. I got into Stephen King at first because my family as a whole has amassed so many of his books I didn't need to purchase much while unemployed. I did buy the last two Harry Potter books, but by the final one I had a job.
prncsspwr

Return to Novels