One of the most unique "Heart-Shaped Box" covers ever done

Joe's first novel.

One of the most unique "Heart-Shaped Box" covers ever done

Postby nirvana_mania on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Savia, an alternative rock band from Madrid, Spain, performs "Heart-Shaped Box" by Nirvana. This version is included in the musical compilation that accompanies Joe Hill's novel of the same name.

Vocals: Carlos Escobedo & Jesús Pulido
Cello: Raquel García
Musical arrangements: Isabel García

Anyone know how this collaboration with Savia came about? I have read that Joe Hill listened to a lot of rock growing up, but he decided to go with a Spanish band to do the main song.
nirvana_mania

Re: One of the most unique "Heart-Shaped Box" covers ever done

Postby nirvana_mania on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:20 pm

I forgot to put the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2xbyGQPRbE
nirvana_mania

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:01 am

NM...Really enjoyed that, but I have to ask about this:

"This version is included in the musical compilation that accompanies Joe Hill's novel of the same name."

I hadn't heard that a compilation was created to go along with HSB. Is this something that could be purchased? I got to wondering if maybe this compilation was included in the audio version. Any help you could give me would be great.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby nirvana_mania on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:02 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:NM...Really enjoyed that, but I have to ask about this:

"This version is included in the musical compilation that accompanies Joe Hill's novel of the same name."

I hadn't heard that a compilation was created to go along with HSB. Is this something that could be purchased? I got to wondering if maybe this compilation was included in the audio version. Any help you could give me would be great.

This compilation came out in the spring of 2008. It seems this compilation was only included in the book published by the Spanish publisher, SUMA, as I can't find any other publishers that include this compilation. I don't think it is included in the audio versions either. So the only way I know of that you can purchase the CD is by buying the spanish edition of the book, "El Traje del Muerto", or simply buying it separately for half the price. Fnac ships worldwide so that shouldn't be a problem, although shipping may be a bit expensive.

Heart-Shaped Box (Spanish edition) + Music CD
http://libros.fnac.es/a104195/Joe-Hill-El-traje-del-muerto-CD?Mn=-1&Mu=-13&Ra=-1&To=0&Nu=3&Fr=0

Music CD Only
http://musica.fnac.es/a43274/Varios-Artistas-El-traje-del-muerto-sin-especificar?PID=6&Mn=-1&Mu=-13&Ra=-28&To=0&Nu=1&Fr=0

This is the tracklist:

1. Ramones / Bltzkreig Bop (2:14)
2. Motley Crue / Shout At The Devil (3:15)
3. Motorhead / Ace Of Spades (2:48)
4. Johnny Cash / Folsom Prison Blues (2:46)
5. Soundgarden / Fell On Black Days (4:40)
6. Chuck Berrey / No Particular Place To Go (2:44)
7. Black Sabbath / Paranoid (2:49)
8. Anthrax / Got The Time (2:47)
9. Muddy Waters / Got My Mojo Working (2:51)
10. Velvet Underground / Stephanie Says (2:50)
11. Hank Williams / Mansion On The Hill (2:33)
12. Ryan Adams / Wonderwall (4:09)
13. Lyndyrd Skynyrd / Freebird (9:00)
14. Savia / Heart Shaped Box (5:17)
nirvana_mania

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Wow...would love to have that. I wish it had been included in the english language version of HSB. I looked at the website you posted to order, but since I don't read spanish I would be afraid to even try!

Betsy_Boo

Postby nirvana_mania on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Yea I'm surprised it hasn't been included with the English editions. Joe Hill personally selected all the songs for the compilation. The majority of the songs appear in the novel and the rest are songs that inspired him during the writing process.
nirvana_mania

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:11 pm

Maybe they figured most folks would be able to download the songs from the internet. Of course, I'm not "most folks". Still, some of the songs are familiar to me so I can get a sense of what Joe was going for. You know, the whole idea of having a soundtrack to go along with a book is really neat. It's a pretty original idea. I wonder if they'll use these songs for the movie? In fact, I wonder how much input Joe will have for the movie?

Betsy_Boo

Postby nirvana_mania on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:21 pm

I had never heard of a book having a soundtrack, so hopefully Joe starts a trend :D
nirvana_mania

Postby grasking on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:29 am

nirvana_mania wrote:I had never heard of a book having a soundtrack, so hopefully Joe starts a trend :D

I hope not. When I'm reading a book I create my own. While I was reading and after I finished Heart Shaped Box a lot of Okkervil River songs were cycling through my head.
grasking

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:14 am

grasking wrote:
nirvana_mania wrote:I had never heard of a book having a soundtrack, so hopefully Joe starts a trend :D

I hope not. When I'm reading a book I create my own. While I was reading and after I finished Heart Shaped Box a lot of Okkervil River songs were cycling through my head.

That's kinda cool...I have never done that. Sometimes I do associate certain songs with certain books, but that is only when the author quotes lyrics.

Betsy_Boo

Postby grasking on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:45 am

Usually there's a few sentences or a paragraphs that will be similar in meaning to a song I like.
grasking

Postby Starchild on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:50 pm

That's an amazing tracklist. I liked most of them.
Starchild

Return to Heart-Shaped Box