Neuroscience

Wipe your feet on the mat and come on in - Keyhouse is waiting.

Neuroscience

Postby jonesmat on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:38 am

Joe & Gabriel,

I'm a longtime comics fan, and I really love Locke & Key! Gripping story and amazing artwork (btw, the art is what made me pick it up in the first place, and the story is what kept me coming back).

I'm also a card-carrying "neuroscientist" - person who studies how the brain works.

I'm wondering if you guys would let me show some images from Locke and Key in my lectures, and/or web pages for my classes? Like the key with the brain, and the diagrams of Bode's brain with all the sections of what he has in there, and the parts where peoples heads come off and you can see inside, and the bits about being able to reach in and see/change what's in there.

To be clear, I am teaching real neuroscience, brains, how they work, neurons, action potentials, neural coding strategies, etc, and even the math that describes brain function. But I think students could also benefit from a more artistic/philosophical perspective about thinking and memory. In fact, I think that would be a great way to draw in students that are scared off by the hardcore biology and math.

Anyway, PM me if you're interested in this,

Cheers,

Matt
jonesmat

Re: Neuroscience

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:27 am

Matt,
Is this a grad course or undergrad.
you use any diff eq's in your course.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:15 am

Welcome Matt! What a grand idea! I wish I'd had professors like you in college! I hope Joe will let you use them. What an interesting lecture that will be!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby jonesmat on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:53 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the welcome.

In response to your questions: I teach in several courses, and sometimes give guest lectures at other institutions on my own research. In one class (Neuro610 - Cellular & Molecular Neuroscience - about 50/50% undergrad/grad) we do use differential equations. In fact today I'm grading 50 midterm exams where I asked the students to convert diff eqs to finite difference eqns, then solve them numerically to simulate ion channel function, membrane depolarization, etc. Most of our students have only the basic college math background so this is new for them, and scary for some. So anything I can add to the materials to make it more "human" is helpful. Bode's compartmentalized brain is a great image, as is the playground inside his head. The material I teach doesn't usually get into the bases of emotions, but I'm dying to think of a way of using Kinsey's inner Fear and Insecurity creatures. That was an awesome sequence!

If anyone is interested, the home page for my section of the course is below, including a link to a tutorial on using Microsoft Excel to solve diff eqs. I teach them using Excel because most students already have experience with it, so don't have to learn a new programming environment. In real life I would use Matlab or C++.

http://www.physiology.wisc.edu/jones/neuro610/main.html

Cheers,

Matt

PS: Joe did give me permission to use some images (Thanks Joe!).
jonesmat

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:10 pm

Yay! :D

Betsy_Boo

Postby Patrick on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Cool. That's going to be a lecture that I'd love to sit in on!
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby vash2435 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:31 pm

jonesmat wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for the welcome.

In response to your questions: I teach in several courses, and sometimes give guest lectures at other institutions on my own research. In one class (Neuro610 - Cellular & Molecular Neuroscience - about 50/50% undergrad/grad) we do use differential equations. In fact today I'm grading 50 midterm exams where I asked the students to convert diff eqs to finite difference eqns, then solve them numerically to simulate ion channel function, membrane depolarization, etc. Most of our students have only the basic college math background so this is new for them, and scary for some. So anything I can add to the materials to make it more "human" is helpful. Bode's compartmentalized brain is a great image, as is the playground inside his head. The material I teach doesn't usually get into the bases of emotions, but I'm dying to think of a way of using Kinsey's inner Fear and Insecurity creatures. That was an awesome sequence!

If anyone is interested, the home page for my section of the course is below, including a link to a tutorial on using Microsoft Excel to solve diff eqs. I teach them using Excel because most students already have experience with it, so don't have to learn a new programming environment. In real life I would use Matlab or C++.

http://www.physiology.wisc.edu/jones/neuro610/main.html

Cheers,

Matt

PS: Joe did give me permission to use some images (Thanks Joe!).

Your class sounds awesome, although I can't take any more cool electives because the pharmacy head is already mad at me for talking too many medical courses I don't need...
vash2435

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Hey Vash...sounds like you should be in Med School.

Betsy_Boo

Return to Locke & Key