Welcome to the New Message Board

Here's where you can introduce yourself and find out about the Joe Hill Message Board

Re: Welcome to the New Message Board

Postby griffinpuppy on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:31 pm

I'm happy to have found this message board! To Joe, I am an avid horror reader (read all of your dad's books, and also Peter Straub, HP Lovecraft, Koontz, Shirley Jackson, Edgar Allen Poe, Franz Kafka, etc. etc.!) I first found "Heart Shaped Box" in new fiction at our library and was totally intrigued by the fun of a rock 'n' roll horror story (and ACDC is absolutely at the top of my all-time favorite bands). Loved it! Next, "20th Century Ghosts"...What can i say other than you have a writing style that is all yours, I'm hooked!

Why do I love horror? It's wicked fun to be scared out of your wits! Brings me back to when I was a kid...mom died and I lived alone with dad. He worked until midnight, the witching hour as we all know! I would be reading something that was lliterally terrifying me and have to pee...I would whip open my door and run down the hall like the dead were on my heels, lock the bathroom, do what I had to, and race back to my room with a final slam of the bedroom door. Being scared gets the blood flowing :twisted: and the adreneline racing racing racing like the pounding of the heart! Anyhow, horror rules!!!
griffinpuppy

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:08 am

Welcome GP! You're gonna love 20thCG!
I like what you said about horror...I used to do the same thing when I had "to go" at night. I was terrified! The only thing I would add to what you wrote is that I love horror 'cause it distracts me from real life. I've said it before...in a lot of ways real life is scarier!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby phil17larry33 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:33 am

testing.
phil17larry33

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:11 am

phil17larry33 wrote:testing.

You made it! Welcome, P/L! :D

Betsy_Boo

Postby phil17larry33 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Poor Gabriel Rodriguez. I live in Florida and can remember the hurricanes of 2004. After Charlie blew through it looked like a bomb went off all over central Florida. It was a quick fast moving one that was SUPPOSED to hit Tampa Bay but for some strange reason it decided to take a quick right hand turn and head up through central Florida on a diagonal line. The damage was unimaginable. After that there were three more hurricanes. No power or gasoline. Everyone was mad. I can sympathize with this poor man and his family but even those hurricanes of 2004 really pale in comparison to his nations devastation. Has anyone seen the building that looks like it fell over sideways and broke in half on it's way down? Jesus in heaven. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. It will take a very long time to fix that country. On a positive note, at least it's a long coastal nation and that means we can get aid to them easier. I hope he's OK but man what a mess.
phil17larry33

Postby foxslady on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Welcome PL, another Floridian here we moved to South central Fl. just in time for the hurricanes.

Barb
wrinkles are left over smiles
foxslady

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:22 pm

I am so glad to be done with hurricanes! I lived all along the Gulf Coast before I moved to NC and though the cities I lived in never took a direct hit, it was still miserable. A couple of years ago we had a teensy earthquake here, believe it or not. Just enough to get a taste...scared the poo out of me.
Yeah, P/L...I saw that building. Yikes!
BTW, G posted in the comments section of the blog if anyone would like to see for themselves that he's ok.

Betsy_Boo

Postby jess_artist on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Hello, everyone! This is my first visit to this board. I am looking forward to good discussions!
jess_artist

Postby Merrin on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Hellooooooooooo Jess, have you managed to read Horns yet???
Merrin

Postby grasking on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi, my name is Grasking and I've just joined the Joe Hill Message Board welcoming committee.
grasking

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:57 pm

grasking wrote:Hi, my name is Grasking and I've just joined the Joe Hill Message Board welcoming committee.

And your first name is Mardi? :mrgreen:

Welcome Jess!

Betsy_Boo

Postby jess_artist on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Merrin, I finished it yesterday!! It was so good! I think the best thing about it was that it wasn't the same story as 'Heart Shaped Box'. It seems to me that so many autors tend to get in a groove that works and they keep telling the same story or variations of the same story. I loved both novels and just started reading '20th Century Ghosts'.
jess_artist

Postby Merrin on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:35 pm

Thats the order that i have read Joe's book aswell, i think that you will love 20th Century Ghosts as its a fantastic collection of short stories!
Merrin

Postby Doccus on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:08 am

Soo i don't know NADA aboot UR site but it wuz a respecctd reference that got me here.. so let me.. doccus rockus maximus.. take it all in .. and i am SURE that this will B 1 of my FAVES.
PLEEZ 2 Meat U
Doccus

Postby Doccus on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:24 am

i luv playing around with the toy we were gifted with.. (ya engels, been it nicht?).. as a writer i bet u get it...

Nice to meet you , an i am goin 2 bed!
Cheers frum Doc
http://docrockstudio.blogspot.com/
Doccus

PreviousNext

Return to Come on in and say Hello