What Are You Reading Now?

Talk about the writers doin' it for you now.

Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Postby demorganakamark on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Well, i know that recently she said that she will write one more involving lestat...it will be more of a redemption type theme.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby demorganakamark on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:19 pm

here you go, here is the article....

"One more book." Those are the words Anne Rice fans have been dying to hear about the Vampire Chronicles ever since her shocking — and dismaying to many of his followers — turn to religious writing. Long seen as a committed atheist, four years ago the best-selling author drove a stake through the hearts of her followers when she vowed to abandon her sinister stories and instead write only of the Lord.

Turns out, vampires aren't that easy to kill. In an interview with TIME, the best-selling author of Interview with the Vampire and The Queen of the Damned has revealed that she plans to write one last book about Lestat, the feared yet beloved blood-sucking main character in her gothic novel series. "When I published my first book about the Lord I said I would never write about those characters again," Rice acknowledged. "But I have one more book that I would really like to write. It will be a story that I need to tell."

Upon returning to the church after a more than three-decade absence, the author in 2005 dramatically and publicly declared that she would never again return to writing about vampires. Said Rice in an interview with Christianity Today: "I would never go back, not even if they say you will be financially ruined. I would be a fool for all eternity to turn my back on God like that."

But never say never. While Rice justifies her decision by saying the book will have a definite Christian framework and a focus on the theme of redemption, she admits that the future chronicle will once again involve the character Lestat and a fictional organization known as the Talamaska that is responsible for investigating the supernatural. Much like the author herself, Lestat will be wrestling with the existence of God throughout the story. "I don't see it as a violation of my promise, because I won't be writing about vampires in the same way," Rice maintains.

Still, it is difficult to see it as anything but a change of heart. Rice says her next book will be a continuation of her multi-part series chronicling Jesus Christ's life; the second novel in that saga, Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana, comes out March 4. She plans to write a third installment in that series before tackling what she now claims to be her final vampire book. For a prolific author who writes a book approximately every 15 months, that means it may be at least another three years before we once again see blood dripping off her pages.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1716849,00.html#ixzz0cog9iolB
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:29 pm

anybody ever read anything by Patrick Rothfuss . I keep hearing his name.
demorganakamark

Postby Melissa on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:45 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:UTD is a very quick read...no slowing down possible once you start it!
Let me know how the Grisham book is, ok? Haven't read Grisham in a while.

And speaking of HP books versus the movies...I had a friend who didn't read the books--only watched the movies. After I finished the 7th book he had the nerve to ask me how it ended! I told him no way! Read the books!!

The Grisham book is good. He's one I read every word of, just because it's so easy to read, with such a good flow and great stories. These are short little stories, but fun, in a dark kinda way (not dark like we're used to...Grisham doesn't usually get THAT dark...lol) I'd suggest it if you like him at all.

I finally picked up HP7 last night, and I'm so excited to see what happens after everything with Snape and Dumbledore in the last one...surprising stuff!
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:57 pm

Melissa wrote:
Betsy_Boo wrote:UTD is a very quick read...no slowing down possible once you start it!
Let me know how the Grisham book is, ok? Haven't read Grisham in a while.

And speaking of HP books versus the movies...I had a friend who didn't read the books--only watched the movies. After I finished the 7th book he had the nerve to ask me how it ended! I told him no way! Read the books!!

The Grisham book is good. He's one I read every word of, just because it's so easy to read, with such a good flow and great stories. These are short little stories, but fun, in a dark kinda way (not dark like we're used to...Grisham doesn't usually get THAT dark...lol) I'd suggest it if you like him at all.

I finally picked up HP7 last night, and I'm so excited to see what happens after everything with Snape and Dumbledore in the last one...surprising stuff!

I loved book #7 as I did all of them, but if you put a gun to my head I'd have to say #6 was my fav.
I'll def put the Grisham book on the TR. He has been kind of hit/miss for me the last few years so these days I wait for a rec.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby E_Shay on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:38 pm

Finished "The Stand". It was an enjoyable read but felt that it contained far more reading material than was necessary to tell the story. In my opinion the story probably could have been told in half as many pages and been made to be more of a fast paced read in doing so. It just seemed to drag along until the last three or four hundred pages then it picked up and moved along well.
After 2 one thousand plus page books in succession, (UTD and The Stand), think I'll opt for a little lighter reading. Just started "Ford County" by John Grisham
E_Shay

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:16 pm

E_Shay wrote:Finished "The Stand". It was an enjoyable read but felt that it contained far more reading material than was necessary to tell the story. In my opinion the story probably could have been told in half as many pages and been made to be more of a fast paced read in doing so. It just seemed to drag along until the last three or four hundred pages then it picked up and moved along well.
After 2 one thousand plus page books in succession, (UTD and The Stand), think I'll opt for a little lighter reading. Just started "Ford County" by John Grisham

Perhaps you would've enjoyed the "cut" version of The Stand more? For me, I liked both, but I read the "cut" version first and then the uncut.

I finished Nobody True by Herbert. Whenever I read a book like this, Mama's words come back to me..."If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Which means, I could never, ever be a critic. I will say that the premise of the book was interesting and since I finished it, it was readable. There were just too many irritations and one of my lines was crossed. I am completely and totally disgusted by any sexual activity with a dead body.

Still slogging my way through Hitler's Willing Executioners. I also received from one of my internet pals, an ARC of Horns which I am enjoying sooooooooooo much! Joe Hill is such a wonderful writer! And I'm such a lucky lady!!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Melissa on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm halfway through Harry Potter 7....here's something to make you laugh (at me)

I fell asleep with the book in my hand last night, and the tv on. When I woke up to put the book away, Montel Williams was on the tv. Still sleeping, I think, I thought for sure that the two women on the show were somehow connected to the book. I mean, I seriously was trying to figure out who they were! Then I woke up. Funny thing is, one of the women was Sylvia Browne, the psychic, so I wasn't too far off. Very weird thing, like dreaming while I was awake...creepy.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby LauraK on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:14 am

I met Robert McCammon tonight at a Reading/Book-signing. He was classy, gracious, and down to earth. He signed my copy of Boy's Life. :)

How did I never read Speaks the Nightbird or The Queen of Bedlam?? The signing was for the 3rd in his series, Mr. Slaughter. He read for 32 minutes and it was terrific. :D I'll be buying these next...he says he's going to write 10 in this series!

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby foxslady on Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:24 am

Great pics LK love the one with annie and Berry

I'm waiting for Horns to arrive I preordered it thru mu book club
wrinkles are left over smiles
foxslady

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:20 am

Yes LK...wonderful pics. And I too love McCammon, but I couldn't really get into the Matthew Corbett series he's working on now. I read SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD and really liked it, but couldn't get very far into THE QUEEN OF BEDLAM. I do plan on giving it another chance down the road. Having said that, one of my all-time favorite books is A BOY'S LIFE. I also loved SWAN SONG and GOIN' SOUTH. I'm currently on the hunt for some of his older, out of print stuff.

I'm about halfway thru HORNS...it's everything I hoped for and more! When I'm done I'm going to write a GR review, but I won't discuss it here until after it's released. Don't want to spoil anything for anybody.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Melissa on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:38 pm

FINALLY - Harry Potter is complete. I have to say that I think the whole of Book 6 and the second to the last chapter of 7 made the entire story. I almost wanted Harry to die, I think that would have been the best ending....but I feel I accomplished something very good by reading all of that. Good Stuff.

Went to Goodwill tonight and found treasures. Just paperbacks, but I got Animal Farm, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty, a John Saul and a book for my niece, for 99 cents each. Starting Animal Farm tonight!
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Melissa wrote:FINALLY - Harry Potter is complete. I have to say that I think the whole of Book 6 and the second to the last chapter of 7 made the entire story. I almost wanted Harry to die, I think that would have been the best ending....but I feel I accomplished something very good by reading all of that. Good Stuff.

Went to Goodwill tonight and found treasures. Just paperbacks, but I got Animal Farm, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty, a John Saul and a book for my niece, for 99 cents each. Starting Animal Farm tonight!

You know, it's funny...I've heard other folks say that the story would've been better if HP had died at the end. Personally I wanted him to live, but I do love how Rowling wrote it so there was REAL doubt about whether he'd survive or not. Made it so much more suspenseful!

I love it when I find treasures. My local dollar store got a whole bunch of HC books that I've been looking at over the last month...got Hodgeman, Irving, Lamott and a couple that just looked interesting...all for a buck a piece! I love ANIMAL FARM, but I have to admit I cried the first time I read it.

Betsy_Boo

Postby E_Shay on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:20 am

Finished "Ford County" by John Grisham. Now I'm reading "Fear The Worst" by Linwood Barclay.
E_Shay

Postby Melissa on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:15 am

Read Animal Farm this morning before I got out of bed...great story!!
Stephen King
Melissa

PreviousNext

Return to Novels