MY FATHER'S MASK

Joe's first collection.

Re: MY FATHER'S MASK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:42 am

Gosh...you really have thought about this alot. I'm going to have to go back and read it again. You've brought up some excellent questions, but it has been awhile since I've read it. To be honest, even if I do re-read it I don't know how helpful I'll be. Anyone else?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:42 am

well, like shane reminded me, Joe is going to start the 3 things up again sometime in the future.......as far as finding the thread for the past 3 things..sorry, it was one of the threads that could not be recovered.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Barry_Wood on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:04 pm

I am also toying on the thought, now, that Joe's intention of the meaning of this story is the individual's perception of reality. Maybe trying to figure out what all the story is about is why masks were used in the first place. My Father's Mask is a remarkable example of why I adore Joe Hill. I find it uncomfortably creepy, yet interesting.
Barry_Wood

Postby This_Girl on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:22 pm

Barry_Wood wrote: I find it uncomfortably creepy, yet interesting.
<----- Yes, that is a very good description of that story. I didn't put it down, but it was a strange thing to read / witness (felt like I was right there).
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:01 pm

Barry_Wood wrote:I am also toying on the thought, now, that Joe's intention of the meaning of this story is the individual's perception of reality. Maybe trying to figure out what all the story is about is why masks were used in the first place. My Father's Mask is a remarkable example of why I adore Joe Hill. I find it uncomfortably creepy, yet interesting.

Perhaps you're right Barry. Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there? I still say there is something dream/nightmarish like about this story...but it also says alot about Joe's imagination.

Betsy_Boo

Postby maddirai on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:31 pm

I agree with it being creepy and interesting but isn't that the point of all the stories . . . there is a point. It makes a point. There is a reason. I can understand all of them in the book, well, at least I am satisfied with my own explanation, but I cannot come to a conclusion about this story.
maddirai

Postby demorganakamark on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:58 pm

well, at the end of the day, i want to be entertained and if it makes me use that lump of coal inside my head then thats good as well.
demorganakamark

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:56 am

demorganakamark wrote:well, at the end of the day, i want to be entertained and if it makes me use that lump of coal inside my head then thats good as well.

Excellent point Mark! It's one of my favorite things about reading! To be entertained AND to have to use my brain...that's wonderful. And I can say that every story in 20thCG filled the bill for me in one way or another!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Barry_Wood on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:55 am

Yes, very good point, Mark.

:-)
Barry_Wood

Postby chococat on Fri May 14, 2010 4:41 am

a few details were especially important to my own unraveling of this story:
1. the story about the grandfather
2. the son's name is Jack
3. the scene at the window, when the father doesn't get the chance to warn Jack because mother finds them ("remember...")
4. the fact that the father is not upset, not desperate, not afraid (when Jack and his mother leave).

does no one else but me feel like they understand it? (yes it took 3 readings...)
chococat

Postby demorganakamark on Fri May 14, 2010 8:24 pm

chococat wrote:a few details were especially important to my own unraveling of this story:
1. the story about the grandfather
2. the son's name is Jack
3. the scene at the window, when the father doesn't get the chance to warn Jack because mother finds them ("remember...")
4. the fact that the father is not upset, not desperate, not afraid (when Jack and his mother leave).

does no one else but me feel like they understand it? (yes it took 3 readings...)

Im sure that they do
demorganakamark

Previous

Return to 20th Century Ghosts